Hit a dead end- please save my spirits

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gigimarie6

Hit a dead end- please save my spirits

Post by gigimarie6 »

Hello there

I've hit a dead end in locating my GGM. This would not be an issue considering I'm claiming through my GGF side, BUT apparently my GGP were married in her hometown. Hence both her birth certificate and the marriage certificate would be there.

Funniest thing is I can't find record of her anywhere. She's not not the Ellis Island database, and on her death certificate she doesn't even have a social security number. Has anyone else run into this problem?! The only proof I have of her is on my GM birth certificate, GGF military card and GGF Declaration of Intent.

Which is my first clue. on GGF letter of intent he states he is married to Giuseppina from Campofelice, Sicily and they were married in 1910 in Campofelice. Big problem is, which Campofelice? Even more scandalous is GGF claimed to be single when he arrived in the USA in 1910. Odd, really odd.

I noticed Ancestry.com has AGRIGENTO, SICILY, ITALY, CIVIL REGISTRATION RECORDS, 1844-1911. Considering GGF is from this providence I was wondering if anyone has an account and wouldn't mind looking (or letting me take a look) if theres any record of his birth or his marriage there? I hate to be passive but my college student budget does not exactly allow a membership.

Francesco Licato / Licata
Born February 18, 1881 in Grotte, Sicily. Arrived in USA sometime in 1910

Giuseppina (Josephine) Licato / Licata (Maiden name: Muscarello)
Born in 1889/1890 in Camposfelice, Sicily.

They were married in Campofelice sometime around 1910
They resided in Trenton, NJ while in the USA

I've tried to upload the Letter of Intent but having trouble. If you'd like to see it, let me know.

Thank you so much for any help or advice. This forum has already helped immensely. :)
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Hit a dead end- please save my spirits

Post by pink67 »

From the site ancestry,it the possible birth act for Francesco Licata:

Birth Act number 60 - Year 1881

Francesco Licata was born in Grotte on the day 21 february 1881, son of Calogero Licata age 47 sulphurminer son of the late Antonino and of his wife Carmela Rizzo age 36, daughter of the late Francesco Paolo.

image here:
http://postimage.org/image/u0mf45fyb/

unfortunately no marriage annotation is listed...

Is this record correct for your ancestor?

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Possible 1916 arrival manifest for Giuseppa Muscarella

2 august 1916

Muscarella Giuseppa, age 27, female, married, place of last residence and place of birth Campofelice, leaving in Italy (Campofelice) her father Vincenzo, going to Pittsburg Ohio to join her husband Francesco Licata.
She was travelling with her son/daughter? Calogero Licata age 9 and with her sister Grazia Muscarella age 22, single.

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

1913 arrival manifest for Francesco Licata:

1 april 1913

Francesco Licata, age 32, male , married, place of birth and place of last residence in Italy Campofelice, leaving in Campofelice his wife Giuseppa Muscarella, going to Rochester NY to join his brother Licata Antonio. Francesco was travelling with his brother Alfonso Licata age 22, single, who stated that he was leaving in Campofelice his mother Carmela Rizzo, so possibly their father was already dead.

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Just a note... At the time of her 1916 arrival Carmela's son/daughter Calogero/a was 9 years old, so born on approx 1907, this puts the marriage year more or less on 1906..

On the 1913 arrival manifest Francesco stated his place of birth was Campofelice but you know that it was Grotte, confirmed also by his mother's maiden name on his brother's Alfonso's statements (he was leaving in Campofelice his mother Carmela Rizzo)

Laura :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Francesco LICATA was born in Grotte on 21 Feb 1881 son of Calogero LICATA and Carmela RIZZO

On 24 June 1905 the marriage:

groom: Francesco LICATA 24 old, born in Grotte, resident in Grotte, son of Calogero LICATA and Carmela RIZZO

bride: Angela SARDO 22 old, born in Caltanissetta, resident in Grotte, daughter of Gaetano resident in Caltanissetta and of late Antonia SPEDALE

so if your ancestor married at Giuseppina Muscarello, Giuseppina was the second wife and not the first wife...

Angela SARDO died on 10 jan 1910 in Grotte

in same year, on 28 jun 1910 I found the marriage bann of Francesco Licata and Giuseppa Muscarello

Giuseppa MUSCARELLO 22 old born in Campofelice, daughter of Vincenzo Muscarello and Giuseppa Aiello

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gigimarie6

Post by gigimarie6 »

Oh my goodness!! I cannot believe you found all this. Thank you so much!! I could hug you!

This is all definitely them. You even helped solve a family mystery!
My GM used to talk about a brother that passed away. But in my GGF Declaration of Intent he only mentioned 4 children, all of which lived long lives full of children. I was starting to conclude she must've gone a bit senile and was talking nonsense. But here we go! A dear Calogero at the age of 9. Sadly, he must've been the one that passed for he is the one not mentioned in the DOI. Its make double sense considering he holds the name of GGF's father. Incredible find! Though if the wedding date and age are correct I have to assume he was born out of wedlock or he was actually Angela's son- how scandalous!!
I also know GGM headed to Pittsburg, PA (not ohio, haha!) on arrival where she had her second son. This must've been an flub due to some miscommunication.
I am absolutely FLOORED to find that GGF had a deceased wife! We never knew. I'm going to venture to say I don't even think my GPs knew!!

These findings are absolutely invaluable and give me a huge amount of information to go on. Thank you endlessly!
My next step is to request these documents from Sicily. Knowing their parents names and the exact dates of birth will help incredibly. Can you offer any advice on how to know which Campofelice they were from? Or should I just send a letter to both di fitalia and di roccella and see what develops?
I also must get the discrepancies in birthdate amended, but I know there are multiple threads with advice on this :)

Thank you again Laura and Suanj- you definitely saved my spirits!!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you have a family relation researching also
Related thread
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic24155.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gigimarie6

Post by gigimarie6 »

Thats odd, that was a post I tried to submit days ago but I was told it was deleted... strange.. very strange. Well thank you for your help Marty!! I'm so excited to march on in my pursuit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, Francesco and Angela had a first child: Calogero Salvatore LICATA decesead 2 days old in Grotte on 15 Apr 1906

By marriage bann document,

the first date was 28 jun 1910, the last 14 jul 1910, so I believe that Francesco and Giuseppa married after this last date; also on the marriage bann, Francesco father( Calogero) is decesead, so Calogero died between 1905 and 1910, and also Calogero was resident in Campofelice..
abt the right Campofelice, I believe that Campofelice di Roccella could be right, because in this town are both the surnames of Giuseppa parents: Muscarella and Aiello.
So for Giuseppa birth act and also marriage act I believe that is correct to write in Campofelice di Roccella.

All the best,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gigimarie6

Post by gigimarie6 »

Thank you again Suanj!!

So strange. Its clear little Calogero died just two days after birth in 1906. But in Giuseppa's 1916 arrival manifest she claimed a Calogero Licata, age 9 (which he would've been at this point). I have no idea what to make of it... Especially considering my GM's only living siblings by 1936 were James (9/3/17), Salvatore (3/29/21) and Carmelo (1/29/23). So its clear Calogero did pass away but when? Is it possible Giuseppa was using his namesake to bring someone else's child over? I find it too ironic to think that maybe the child was one of Francesco's brother's. That would mean two brothers having a child at the same time and naming it the same thing... What a mystery

As for the advice on Campofelice, thank you! I will write them pronto!

What would i do without this forum!? :mrgreen:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I searched in the Grotte births; the second Calogero was born on 25 May 1907 son of Francesco Licata and Angela Sardo
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Before writing for records from Campofelice di Roccella there are Italian records available from Family History Library for $5.50 rental and viewing and copying from Campofelice di Roccella (Palermo), 1820-1910 Records of births, marriage banns, marriages, and deaths, and documents enclosed with records, from the municipality of Campofelice di Roccella in the province of Palermo. Before 1921 Campofelice di Roccella was called Campofelice. Most registers include an index.
Family History Library Locator
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Ordering films from FHL
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki ... ory_Center
Reading and translating Italian records (Great Video Basic Italian Research)
https://www.familysearch.org/learningce ... 22Italy%22
Films from Campofelice di Roccella 1820-1910
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Campofeli++

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gigimarie6

Post by gigimarie6 »

Thanks Suanj! Well I guess that explains it! My, what a tragic decade Great Granddad had!
Marty, Thanks for the heads up. Since I am currently studying in the UK, I thought the Family History Library was only a luxury of home. But turns out there are quite a few here in England! I will call them to confirm and order the film ASAP!

Thanks again to everyone for all their help! I'm back on the trail! My family is absolutely loving all these tidbits of information! :mrgreen: