Where to find ship manifests

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
santina68

Where to find ship manifests

Post by santina68 »

Hello,

I am trying to find passenger records for my ancestors and have not had much luck. My family's name is Fabrizio and this is the information I have so far: My great great grandfather is Cosmo Fabrizio (sometimes spelled Cosimo Fabbrizio) and I have his naturalization papers. He arrived in the USA April 23, 1880, I do not know which port he arrived at and can not find a passenger record for that date. I found on Ellis Island a record for him arriving March 13, 1893. I know he came to this country to find work and left his family in Italy and then brought them to the US in 1893. I also have naturalization papers for two sons, Diamondo (sometimes spelled Diamonte) arriving December 5, 1893 and Guiseppe arriving December 7, 1893. I can find absolutely nothing for Cosmo's wife Anna Venditta or their daughter Lucia. On a 1900 census it shows the year 1893 for Anna and Lucia's immigration.
I have tried Ellis Island with every possible spelling I can think of for the names but had no luck. Where else can I look for this information?

Thank you,
Nancy
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Where to find ship manifests

Post by VaDeb »

Records from 1880 (assuming port of NY) are available on ancestry.com. It requires a paid subscription or use it for free at a Family History Center of the LDS church. Alot of libraries also have it available.

What town in Italy is this family from? Sometimes it helps to find them.

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Most probable this surnames are of Molise region: Fabrizio and Venditti:
are only this record:
Cognome
VENDITTI

Nome
ANTA.(Antonietta ?)

Professione
PEASANT

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
ISERNIA

Destinazione
U

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
MARSEILLES & NAPLES

Nave
BRITANNIA

Data d'arrivo
9/16/1886

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
santina68

Post by santina68 »

My family came from Pesche Italy. According to the 1900 census Anna was born April 1858 so in 1886 she would have been 32. I can not find much information on her. I know they settled in Ashtabula Ohio and two of Anna and Cosmo's children were born there. I did order microfilm from the LDS library and am waiting to get that, hoping to find birth records and a death record for Anna since she did not die in this country.

Nancy
santina68

Post by santina68 »

Does anyone know where I should look to find these records? I have tried Ellis Island and have used Ancestry at my library but am not having any luck. I don't know where else to search. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nancy