Pietro Faucetta born 1878-79 in Montevago

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Pernechele

Pietro Faucetta born 1878-79 in Montevago

Post by Pernechele »

I am trying to determine, once and for all if there was an older brother of my great-grandfather, Joe Faucetta.

I am trying to find the birth record for one Pietro Faucetta, born in either 1878 or 1879, in Montevago, Agrigento, Sicily. His parents would be Antonino Faucetta and Giuseppa Ingoglia, who were married in 1877, in Montevago, Agrigento, Sicily.

Joe Faucetta was born in 1880, immigrated here thru the Port Of New Orleans in 1898. Moved to Los Angeles by (the earliest I can find) 1903, where he can be found living with a Peter Faucetta in the Los Angeles County City Directory on Ancestry.com. This City Directory does not list the relationship of these two Faucetta men. I also cannot find an immigration record/ships record for Peter.

None of my aunts can remember whether or not their grandfather, Joe, had an older brother named Peter, they just remember a younger one, Giovannni (John, born 1886). Peter disappears by 1907 from Los Angeles , so where did he go? I cannot find him in the death index thru Vital Search. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated. I have been searching for years.

My reason for believing this is Joe's older brother is that due to the fact that Italians name their children after their parents. Joe's parents were Antonino and Giuseppa. Antonino's parents were Pietro Faucetta and Maria Saitta. If Joe was the first born son, as we have THOUGHT all these years, then why was he named Joe and not Pietro?

Thank you for any help.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Pietro Faucetta born 1878-79 in Montevago

Post by Tessa78 »

I think your best bet would be to visit your nearest LDS Family History Center to view the microfilmed civil registrations from Montevago. The films cover births, deaths, marriages, etc. for the years 1821 - 1929.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... m%2F145395

The film you would probably want to see is this one...
Nati 1875-1910 -- Pubblicazioni 1866-1908
Family History Library INTL Film #2015586

It is possible that Peter "americanized" his last name (Fawcett, Fossett, etc.) which would make it harder to track him...

What did the City Directory list as his occupation?

ALSO...
You wrote:
Joe Faucetta was born in 1880, immigrated here thru the Port Of New Orleans in 1898. Moved to Los Angeles by (the earliest I can find) 1903, where he can be found living with a Peter Faucetta in the Los Angeles County City Directory on Ancestry.com. This City Directory does not list the relationship of these two Faucetta men. I also cannot find an immigration record/ships record for Peter.

According to his Naturalization Record, Joe was born in 1882 and immigrated in 1894 (on the SS Bolivia to New Orleans). That would make him about 12 years old on his arrival.

Do you have a copy of the manifest?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found this Naturalization Record for Pietro Faucetta, but I do not know if this is Giuseppe's brother :-(

Pietro born 11 February 1878 in Montevago, Italy
Immigrated in 1903 to New York
Residing in New York (Brooklyn) at the time of naturalization record (1910) and has wife, Maria and children Pietro and Antonio.

page 1

page 2

FROM NYC Marriage Index,
Looks like the above Pietro Faucetta (transcribed Fancetta)...

Fancetta Pietro Nov 26 1905 Kings #9718
Samberto Maria Nov 26 1905 Kings #9718

You could send for this marriage record if you think it might be the correct Pietro... it would have the parents' names on the record... :-)
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... iage.shtml

It would appear that the above Pietro Faucetta (b. 11 Feb 1878) died in New Jersey in 1970

Social Security Death Index about Peter Faucetta
Name: Peter Faucetta
SSN: XXX-XX-XXXX
Last Residence: 07420 Haskell, Passaic, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 11 Feb 1878
Died: May 1970
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)

T.
Pernechele

Post by Pernechele »

Hi Tessa,
Thanks for the response, I greatly appreciate that! And thanks for the research, I just knew I was going to like it here! :)

Well, regarding Joe Faucetta's stating he came over in 1894 and that his birth year was 1882: I have Joe's birth record from Montevago, he was indeed born in 1880. A very kind volunteer that spoke and read Italian found it for me and snail mailed it my way several years back. This was before I knew anything at all about his possible brother, otherwise, I wouldve asked for Pietros record too.

I also have the ships passenger record and he came over in 1898, not 1894 like he stated on the Naturalization records...he was the typical man, I guess, he listed both his older daughters birth years incorrectly on the Naturalzation papers, oldest daughter Josie was born in Nov. 1905, (He writes 1906) and my grandmother, Jennie, was born in Aug, 1907, (He writes 1908).

Thank you for finding those documents for Pietro Faucetta, I really appreciate that. Im not sure this is my Pietro Faucetta though, but it sure sounds like it after reading his kids names, Antonino and Pietro....but I am at a loss as to why Pete would go to New York, as we have no family there, never did. We came thru New Orleans and came straight to Los Angeles.

You asked about the Los Angeles County City Directorys on Ancestry.com, and in 1903, both Joe Faucetta and Pietro Faucetta can be found living at the same address and they both work for the same place, they are 'car cleaners'. And Joe and Pete can be found in the 1904 and 1905 Los Angeles County City Directories. After that, Pete is gone...Joe married Anna Capaci in Los Angeles in Jan. of 1905.

I will make a visit to the LDS Church in my town in the next few weeks when I have more time. Thank you so very much for the help and the pointers. You rock! :D

Brigitte
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Brigitte! :-)

Thanks for the update!

Glad to know you have the records for DOB and arrival!

I hope your visit to the LDS Family History Center will prove successful.
It is possible that your family knew nothing of Pietro BECAUSE he arrived in NY and settled in that area :wink:

T.
Pernechele

Post by Pernechele »

Hi Tessa! :)

Yes, that is a major with a capitol "M" possiblity that nobody knew of him, because he either took off for New York, (Again, why, I do not know) or he changed the spelling of his last name, (He would be the only one who did), or he passed away under some other spelling of the last name. My great-grandfather Joe, had a baby daughter named Angelina, (Born 1914, died 1915). They had her birth surname as 'Faetta', mothers maiden name of 'Capace', (It was Capaci). Her death record has her down as 'Feuchetta', mother's maiden name as 'Conpeole'. So, I know that Italian surnames got butchered quite a bit.

I have 3 remaining living aunts, who were born in the 1930's and 1940's, and they do not remember a brother named Peter, just John, the younger one. So, its possible (probable, more likely) that Peter either passed on before they were born, or moved so far away they never saw him or knew of him. I just do not understand why Pete would be in Los Angeles with his possibly brother Joe, yet take off to New York after 1905. I am narrowing down that the Pete Faucetta born Feb. 1878 and married to this Maria Lamberta is probably a cousin. I found an LDS record for Pete Faucetta that showed his parents were not Joe's parents. So, the Pete Faucetta born Feb. 1878, is probably the son of Joe's fathers brother.

There is an LDS center about a mile or two from my home I have discovered. I will head down there sometime next week when I have more time during their day hours.

Again, thanks for the help and the research! I am indebted to kind folks such as yourself for all the help and clues along the way, I wouldnt have half as much info as I do without the generosity of great people such as yourself! :)

Brigitte
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Keep us posted! :-)

Love hearing where the story goes...

T.
lmcal

Post by lmcal »

Hi Pernechele,
I just noticed your post and we have a few names in common and the town of Montevago.
I'll be visiting Sicily next year and thought I would do a little research to see if I have any family still there, but I've just started. What I do know is that my grandparents immigrated from Montevago in the early 20's. My grandfather was Giuseppe Maggio and my grandmother Anna LaRocca Maggio. One of their mothers maiden names was Ingoglia and one was Giambalvo. I also know that my mother Angelina was named after one of her grandmothers and my uncle Antonino was named after a grandfather. I'm pretty sure that we had family there up until the earthquake in the 60's because I remember that we sent boxes and boxes of household items at that time.
If you have any info thanks so much!!