Looking for Pietro Crifo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Looking for Pietro Crifo

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

My maternal family is from the area of Patti, Sicily. My grandfather, Giuseppe Crifo and his brother, Antonio Crifo, both immigrated to the U.S. They also had a another brother, Pietro Crifo and a sister (that I just found out about) Tindara. However, I am trying to locate records of Pietro. Family rumors are that he went to 1) Germany and 2) Argentina. Are there any records of people leaving Sicily and going to other countries? We have the ability to search the records of immigrants coming to the U.S., but are there any records of Sicilians or Italians going to other countries? If so, where do I start searching for these records?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ItalianbellaSA
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Pietro Crifo

Post by Tessa78 »

ItalianbellaSA wrote:My maternal family is from the area of Patti, Sicily. My grandfather, Giuseppe Crifo and his brother, Antonio Crifo, both immigrated to the U.S. They also had a another brother, Pietro Crifo and a sister (that I just found out about) Tindara. However, I am trying to locate records of Pietro. Family rumors are that he went to 1) Germany and 2) Argentina. Are there any records of people leaving Sicily and going to other countries? We have the ability to search the records of immigrants coming to the U.S., but are there any records of Sicilians or Italians going to other countries? If so, where do I start searching for these records?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ItalianbellaSA
There are civil records (births, marriages, deaths) from Patti, Sicily available online at FREE site http://www.familysearch.org
Here is the link, but you will need to know the comune(town) to search... and you will need to register at the site's home page...
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... /waypoints

For instance, I located the index of births in Patti (the comune) in 1909 and found several Crifo births listed. One of these was Tindaro, a male child, twin of Nicolo, born to Rosario Crifo and his wife Teresa Crifo.

T.

T.
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you. I am registered at familysearch. However, I am not sure exactly how you found births in Patti. Could you explain exactly how you found this. Thanks.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

I found the index of birth of Patti. However, is there some type of index to locate surnames? Or do you have to go through it page by page?

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Sometimes you can find an index at the end of each year of records if there is no separate index available...

Since the Patti records on famlysearch.org are for multiple years, you will have to search to find the ends of the years to find possible indexes.
If there are no indexes at all, you will need to search record by record.

T.
JMasulli

Post by JMasulli »

My father's mother was Teresa Febronia Crifo from Patti born 7/5/1889. Her father was Gaetano Crifo and he married Maria Barbera in Sicily. Neither Gaetano nor his wife came to the US. Their children Teresa and Sarina both came to the US in 1906. I too am looking for information about the Crifos. I don't think this is of much help but maybe their is a connection. I've been pretty lucky using "FamilySearch.org" for family members in the Naples area, but not in Sicily. Good luck
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

I have had good luck researching the Crifo name on familysearch.org. There are a lot of records from the Patti area. I have gone back about 5 generations. Crifo was a popular name, but it is a small area so many are related. If you would like to see my family tree of Crifo's I would be happy to send you an invitation to view it on myheritage.com, however, I need your email address. You can send me your email via at suzayn3455@aol.com.

ItalianbellaSA

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA