Maresca Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Maresca Family

Post by castle34 »

I am having a very difficult time finding out any info on the Antonio Maresca famiily. He was born about 1860 in Italy. Rumor has it that he was a seaman in the Italian Navy. He married Luisa (Louisa, Luisella) Rolla(?)in Italy. She was born in Sant' Agnello, Italy and emigrated with her two year old son Raffaele to New Haven, Connecticut around 1890. Maresca is such a comon name that I cannot determine when Antonio emigrated to New Haven. The couple had four cildren, Raffaele, Giuseppina, Antonio and Natale. Is any of this info familiar to anyone?

Thaks for your reply.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Maresca Family

Post by Tessa78 »

castle34 wrote:I am having a very difficult time finding out any info on the Antonio Maresca famiily. He was born about 1860 in Italy. Rumor has it that he was a seaman in the Italian Navy. He married Luisa (Louisa, Luisella) Rolla(?)in Italy. She was born in Sant' Agnello, Italy and emigrated with her two year old son Raffaele to New Haven, Connecticut around 1890. Maresca is such a comon name that I cannot determine when Antonio emigrated to New Haven. The couple had four cildren, Raffaele, Giuseppina, Antonio and Natale. Is any of this info familiar to anyone?

Thaks for your reply.
In the 1900 US Census, Raffaele is listed as born in US in 1891. Louisella lists her imigration year as 1890, and Antonio indicates that he immigrated in 1889.

Found this at familysearch.org
Connecticut, Births and Christenings...

Name: Raphel Maresca
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:
Birth Date: 16 Jul 1890
Birthplace: New Haven, Connecticut
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Anthony Maresca
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Louisa Rolla
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02120-8
System Origin: Connecticut-EASy
Source Film Number: 1405868

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In this 1920 Census the names are misspelled :-( and both Antonio/Tony and Louisa do not recall their year of immigration...
Tony is a laborer in a coal yard.

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Tony Maesa
[Tony Marasa]
Birth Year: abt 1863
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: New Haven Ward 7, New Haven, Connecticut
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Louisa Maesa
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Home owned: Own
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Tony Maesa 57
Louisa Maesa 55
Ralph Maesa 30
Tony Maesa 23
Nottie Maesa 22
Josie Maesa 26

Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

T.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

Tesssa 78. Thank you so much for posting the above information. This about the only data I have after many years of researching. But I'll keep plugging away.

Again, many thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi castle34!

Found this US Passport application that MAY be your Antonio! Last name is spelled with an "o" - MARESCO

According to the application...
Antonio was born in Naples, Italy on 7 October 1854.
He immigrated on a ship whose name he has forgotten, in August 1879.
He has resided from 1879 - 1906 (when he applied for this passport) in New Haven, Conn.
He lists his occupation as a Saloon keeper.

The image is quite blurry... but it does provide a physical description of Antonio.
May be can narrow his birthplace down to Naples Province, if not the city.
The town of Sant'Agnello, where Luisa was from, is also in Naples Province :-)

click once to enlarge and again to magnify

ALSO found this US Naturalization Index Card that may be his :-)
The naturalization date is 22 October 1896, and he lists his age as 42. This would agree with the passport application above.
Place of residence is New Haven.
Information is listed on the card about where his record was filed (Common Pleas Court in New Haven, Volume 4, PAGE 536 :-)

You might want to request that record...

Here is the image of the card. THIRD one down...

Do you know if Antonio had any brothers who also immigrated to US?

T.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Post by castle34 »

Tesssa78

I'm sorry to be so late in responding but I have been away for the past several weeks. I'm back now and ready to tackle the genealogy thing again.

You are a genius. You have garnered me more information than I have been able to uncover since 1989.

The passport application is definitely my Antonio's. The address on the application is where he lived until he died.

The naturalization application looks very much like it is my Antonio's.

Do you know if or where I can get copies of both applications?

Thak you so much for for finding this information out and sending it to me. I really appreciate it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

castle34 wrote:Tesssa78

I'm sorry to be so late in responding but I have been away for the past several weeks. I'm back now and ready to tackle the genealogy thing again.

You are a genius. You have garnered me more information than I have been able to uncover since 1989.

The passport application is definitely my Antonio's. The address on the application is where he lived until he died.

The naturalization application looks very much like it is my Antonio's.

Do you know if or where I can get copies of both applications?

Thak you so much for for finding this information out and sending it to me. I really appreciate it.
You should probably write to (or visit, if you are nearby) the Courthouse in New Haven, for the records. He applied for both in New Haven.
Information is listed on the [naturalization] card about where his record was filed (Common Pleas Court in New Haven, Volume 4, PAGE 536 :-)
T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

A POSSIBLE sibling or cousin??? Also residing in New Haven... :D

Naturalization Index Card for EUGENIO MARESCO

T.