Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Birth Record

Post by tomtst »

I have this document as the birth record of Teresa Guarino. The baptismal record shows Teresa Guarino, but I can't find reference to her on the birth record side.
I have her mother as Donna Elizabeth Lato, I don't have a name for her father. Would her father be Dominic Antonio Guarino. Or am I totally wrong?

Baptismal:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23851601@N ... /lightbox/

Birth:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23851601@N ... /lightbox/

Thank You
Tom
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record

Post by erudita74 »

the birth record reads "una fanciulla"- "a young girl"; the infant is not named

the husband is named in the birth record -the father is (Don) Domenicantonio Guarino; he was a doctor (medico); age 55; he was Elizabeth's legitimate husband
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tomtst »

can it be assumed by the Baptism that the child's name is Teresa?

Thank You
Tom
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Do you have a second page for the birth record? On the first page of the birth record, it was the midwife, and not the infant's father, who presented the infant to the town official. Normally in the birth record, the name given to the child is mentioned. There should be a second page to this document listing the witnesses to the reporting of the birth, and the presentation of the child, and the infant's name is probably on that page. At any rate, the child baptized on the right of the record is the same child as the one born on the left. The dates and record numbers all match, so it is very safe to assume that the infant in the birth record was the baptized, Teresa Guarino.
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tomtst »

I don't think I have a second page, I might have missed it when researching the microfilm.

Thank you for your help this helped me with the name of my
3x great grandfather.
Tom
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're welcome, Tom. If you are searching the microfilmed records, always double check to see if there is a second page for the record you need. Sometimes these additional pages yield important info. A second page on a birth record, for example, may have a notation concerning the newborn's marriage. With double columned marriage records, which sometimes can be 4 pages long, there may be death dates for parents of the bride and groom. So you just never know what additional info may be on subsequent pages of a record, and it is therefore always a good idea to get copies of all the pages.
Chris