Carlo Costanzo m 1859

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Carlo Costanzo m 1859

Post by luvfamily »

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/7914/ccostanzomar1857.jpg

Please may I have this marriage act translated.

thank you

Gloria
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Carlo Costanzo m 1859

Post by erudita74 »

Solemn promise dated July 7, 1857 (not 1859) at 4 P.M.

Groom: Carlo Costanzo, adult, age 26, b. and liv. in Coreno, property owner, son of Alessio Costanzo, same occup, and Maria Adriano, liv in Coreno

Bride: Emmanuela Valente, adult, age 22, b. and liv in Coreno, dau of Don (title) Filippo Valente, property owner, and Donna (title) Maria Giuseppa Petricone, liv in Coreno

Marriage in S. Margarita on July 9th. Witnesses were Don Carlo Costanzo and ? Lisi.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:Solemn promise dated July 7, 1857 (not 1859) at 4 P.M.

Groom: Carlo Costanzo, adult, age 26, b. and liv. in Coreno, property owner, son of Alessio Costanzo, same occup, and Maria Adriano, liv in Coreno

Bride: Emmanuela Valente, adult, age 22, b. and liv in Coreno, dau of Don (title) Filippo Valente, property owner, and Donna (title) Maria Giuseppa Petricone, liv in Coreno

Marriage in S. Margarita on July 9th. Witnesses were Don Carlo Costanzo and ? Raffaele Lisi.
:-)
T.
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

Thank you very much. What does the title mean?

Gloria
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

"The term Don before a man's name, and Donna before a woman's name, may or may not indicate noble birth. For they were used not only for persons of noble rank, but for persons whose families were of noble origin, but reduced in circumstances as well. ``Downward nobility'' has never been a phenomenon foreign to Italy's nobility. Often, too, don and donna (translated as Lord and Lady) were simply titles of respect and deference used for a man or woman of some standing in the community, with wealth, education or position acquired, not inherited."-from Colletta-Italian Roots, p.106.

Don is also a title that was used for priests in the records, and today is used specifically for Diocesan Catholic priests. Over time, it also became a title used by the organized criminal societies-such as the Mafia-in southern Italy and Sicily. The feminine title Donna is rarely used nowadays.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_%28honorific%29
luvfamily
Elite
Elite

Post by luvfamily »

very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Gloria
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're welcome. I didn't want to just give you the common translations, "Lord and Lady," as I myself always try to get a deeper understanding about what I find in the records.