Success at Houston Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Success at Houston Consulate

Post by tlisti »

I first posted here in September, 2010, asking about Naturalization and name changes for my GGF. I am seeking citizenship via GGF>GF>F>Me. I have spent hours reading forums and asking questions about what documents to get, apostiles, and translations.

I finally,today had my meeting with the Houston Consulate, with all paperwork (totally organized)needed. I thought I had one problem with my GF's BC, and was worried about proving my GGF's negative naturalization.

The Consulate's office was WONDERFUL,...So easy to work with, and understanding. I was told that my worries were needless, and I had covered everything. We had a nice talk and She said that based on my paperwork I am an Italian Citizen, and it was a matter of getting the paperwork processed and formally documented so I can get a passport. It's apparently going to take a while, because the applications are backed-up...I was instructed to wait for several months to receive a letter from Italy.

So, I guess, barring any suprises or errors, IT'S ALMOST DONE!!! YEAH!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Success at Houston Consulate

Post by mler »

It's a nice feeling! Congratulations. :D
mmagen

Re: Success at Houston Consulate-Question re original docume

Post by mmagen »

Congratulations! I am in the same process and have appt w/Consulate in Los Angeles for October! I have a question. I have the original 1900 marriage certificate of my grandparents. obviously I cannot give that to the consulate and was wondering if I have to still obtain a certified copy, or if a Notary can "certify" it? I have original birth certificates and wondered if they can be copied and notarized instead of having to order and pay for a certified copy from the hall of records. do you know?
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlisti »

I ordered certified copies of ALL documents, had them apostiled and translated. I did give them one original document, that was a carbon copy of another original I had. They took it, and I will probably never get it back.
catshouse2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by catshouse2 »

tlisti wrote:I first posted here in September, 2010, asking about Naturalization and name changes for my GGF. I am seeking citizenship via GGF>GF>F>Me. I have spent hours reading forums and asking questions about what documents to get, apostiles, and translations.

I finally,today had my meeting with the Houston Consulate, with all paperwork (totally organized)needed. I thought I had one problem with my GF's BC, and was worried about proving my GGF's negative naturalization.

The Consulate's office was WONDERFUL,...So easy to work with, and understanding. I was told that my worries were needless, and I had covered everything. We had a nice talk and She said that based on my paperwork I am an Italian Citizen, and it was a matter of getting the paperwork processed and formally documented so I can get a passport. It's apparently going to take a while, because the applications are backed-up...I was instructed to wait for several months to receive a letter from Italy.

So, I guess, barring any suprises or errors, IT'S ALMOST DONE!!! YEAH!

Congratulations! It gives us all hope!

I am new to this forum and have been trying to send you a PM- but can't get it to go out. Please see below and if you have an opportunity to respond that would be greatly appreciated!

Tlisti,
You posted a response to a fourm post mentioning working with a Roman Catholic Church archivist in your search for a baptismal certificate. Can you share with me how you connected with this archivist? I am in a similar position and feel I have exhausted all other avenues, would love a new option.

Thanks,
Lisa
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlisti »

Lisa, are you in Houston?
catshouse2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by catshouse2 »

Nope, Va, will work with Philly. But have a BC problem like u did and need help with searching RC churches. You mentioned a archivist that helped you determine correct church.
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlisti »

Sorry I took so long to respond. I talked with a Houston/Galveston Diocese Archivist, and her name is Lisa May. She was extremely helpful. I can't remember how I found her, but it was on a catholic church geneology website.
mikebenza

Post by mikebenza »

Hello tlisti,

I'm curious if you've heard anything from the Houston consulate yet. I had my appointment on July 3, 2012. I noticed you said your appointment was just a few months before. Ms. Pescatori at the Houston Consulate told me that it would take at most 8 months and that I shouldn't contact her before then. It's been 9 months and I haven't heard anything. I sent an email and left a voicemail, but I didn't get a response. I'm curious if you've had any luck.

- Mike Benza
nolagirl

Post by nolagirl »

Hi Mikebenza, Just wanted you to know, I got my citizenship recognized thru the Houston Consulate back in April 2011 and finally got my passport about 6 months later in fall that year. I have been working with a friend who submitted her documents in April 2012 and she just spoke with them this past week and they told her they were just beginning to work on the spring 2012 appointment documentation workups, so I'm guessing that yours will take a little longer. Keep the faith and remember you are now operating on Italian time :-)
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlisti »

I have jus passed the 1 year mark. My appointment was in April, 2012, and I have not yet heard anything.

I expect they are backlogged. May be due to staff shortages, etc. Emailed them today, and waiting to hear when I should know something.

tlisti
mikebenza

Post by mikebenza »

A few days ago I heard from the Italian Consulate and I've been approved for citizenship. I applied on July 3, 2012 and I got a reply on June 28, 2013. I've started to apply for a passport. The earliest appointment I was able to get is Oct 3, 2013.
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlisti »

I heard from the Houston consulate a few weeks ago, and I've been approved for citizenship! It took over a year, but I know they are swamped over there. I'm so excited that my years of hard work and research paid off, and my Italian heritage has finally been recognized...after living my entire life with the last name of Lester (instead of Listi). My father would be proud that I put the pieces of his life story together, when there was so much misinformation all these years!
tlisti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlisti »

Question, Do you think the information provided to the Consulate is sent to Italy for processing...or do they make that determination at the Consulate? Then, upon completing the AIRE, with local govt in Italy, you actually document the citizenship? How does that work? Thanks.
coachesn

Post by coachesn »

I am new to the website and I notice the forums. Could you let me know what the benefit might be to apply for Italian citizenship? My great-grandfather game over from Sicily and there is confusing on what his name was when he came over. My mom (Mom's maiden name is Duvardo) remembers him as Joseph Duvardo, but some records show Joseph Diovardi and other show Guiseppe Diovardi. We are planning on a big trip to Italy in several years. What advice could you give me to find his birth certificate to show this his Italian citizenship? I live outside of Houston. Thanks for any help to clarify what the advantage would be and routes I might want to take to clarify some answers.

Eric