surname help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

surname help

Post by bvbellomo »

Take a look at the bride's mother's surname. Can anyone decipher it?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/332 ... 20%201.pdf

Andrea Albanese was my 5th great grandfather. I see lots of records with an Andrea Albanese, a butcher born around 1755 who died in 1833 and married a wife named Carmela born about 1775 and died in 1842. However I see her surname listed as "Farella", "Malone", "Madduro", "La Sausa" and "Colino" on various records. Her death certificates list her surname as "Farella" and her parents as Vincenzo and Filippa Farella. There is a "Maria Fiore" who's death record says "widow of Vincenzo Colino", but no other uses of "Colino" in the town. There are no other people in the town with the surname "Malone", "Madduro" and whatever surname is written on this record. "La Sausa" and "Farella" are common names in the town.

Albanese was a common surname in Polizzi, so I could be dealing with more than 1 person, but there aren't any that are close to his age that aren't married to someone named Carmela. Also, Liborio has 'Farrella' as his mother's surname on his own death certificate and 'Colino' on his marriage record.

So I am confused, but would like to know what surname is written here.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: surname help

Post by Tessa78 »

Looks like it could be LADDUCA :-)

T.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

On the right, it says "on such day of such month of such year, presented by witnesses". "e seguita nel giorno ?diciamord? del mese di ?firgro? anno ?lidduro? alla presenza del testimoni". The word after "anno" starts with the same letter, and looks very similar. What is this word?
dmt1955
Master
Master

Post by dmt1955 »

the right hand column info is, as i see it, the marriage took place
dicinove (19, the month of Giugno (June), anni (year) suddetto (above mentioned)
19 June 1836

donna
(sorry if this post shows many edits...seems i have a gremlin in my keyboard)
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

Wow, I see "suddetto" now, but I had all the letters wrong before. Look at Ignazia Silvestri, and how different that S looks.

I also think this is the same surname transcribed as "Madduro"

If the surname starts with an "S" then it is Suaddrese, Suadduro, Sadduca, etc.
dmt1955
Master
Master

Post by dmt1955 »

to me, it looks like two different writers completing each column. the handwriting on the left is different than the right (at least to me it is). so, i am wondering if the word after Carmela is NOT her last name AND was written by whoever wrote the right column. It could be that it is the word suddetto. I cannot be certain at all. i have seen many records where the mother's surname was not indicated and some where other notations were written.

Maybe Tessa or others have thoughts about this. sorry i could not be of more help to you.
donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

This makes a lot of sense, if her surname wasn't known, written or was in some other way unusual, that would explain why all the transcriptions give a different surname in transcription.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

The "Farella" surname does not appear on any records written while she was alive. It is possible both her parents were born with the same surname, but more than likely when she died they didn't know the surnames and listed "Farella" for her and both her parents. I am guessing her mother's maiden name was "Farella".

"La Sausa" only appears in 1 record, and could be a different person.

In 1820, a "Vincenzo Francolino", was born to unknown parents.
In 1847, he married Maria Albanese, daughter of Giuseppe & Gandolfa Cascio.
in 1853, we have the death of "Maria Fiore" widow of Vincenzo Colino, daughter of Giuseppe & Gandolfa.

So how or why Colino appears on the 1828 marriage of Andrea Albanese and Carmela, I don't know, but it seems to have a connection to this family, and they seem to have some sort of issue with surnames.