Perna-help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kamone

Perna-help!

Post by Kamone »

I am trying to find information on a Valentino Perna. I think his birthday is 2/18/09. I believe he came here illegally. We are not 100% sure where he is from in Italy. We THINK he is from Monte San Giovanni Campano in Frosinone. I know the names of his brothers, sisters & wife. I also know he brother Gerardo or Geraldo still lives there. His father's name was Andrea. He never lived here, but he worked here for a few months and collected Social Security. Is this hopeless??
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Perna-help!

Post by VaDeb »

Nothing is hopeless until you have exhausted all research sources.

Do you mean Valentino Perna was born on 2/18/1909?

Have you found him in US census reports? If not we need the name of his wife and children and where they lived in 1930 to start to look for him.

Do you have his death record? His marriage record? Do birth records of his children state his place of birth?

Let us know what you have done.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Valentino PERNA is italian name ... you can say us about year of immigration and residence in USA? thanks, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Kamone

Post by Kamone »

Valentino Perna was born in 1909, we think February 18. I'm new at this, and not really sure how to check the census reports, but his Wife's name was Maria Masci, and his kids (who were born in New York) are Michael Perna born in 1933 and Rose Perna born in 1931 (married name is Iovine).

He came here somewhere in the 1920's, and lived on Ogden St. in Middletown, NY until he moved to South Ozone Park, NY in 1944.

I also know his father's name was Andrea Perna, and his mother Rosa (not sure of the maiden name). I'm not sure if that helps at this point.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of his records. Thanks for your help susanj and VaDeb!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

about Gerardo: are an Gerardo perna age 30 in 1930, Brooklyn , Kings, New York, imm. in 1922, married to Mary 21 old; children: Catherine 3 old, Angelo 1 old...
most probable this is the ship's manifest of 1922 and Gerardo age 22, coming from Lioni(Avellino province, Campania region), contact in Italy Caterina Perna mother, joining Alfonso Perna brother NEWARK, NJ..

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0902%2ETIF

I no know if are some other gerardo perna in New York, but I found only this in this time... I wish search_again.......
Valentino Perna age 22 in 1930 , italian, plasterer, living in White Plains, Westchester, New York , born abt 1908, married to Mary age unknown, italian; year of emigration of both spouses: unknown.........

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3131/perna6qk.jpg

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Kamone

Post by Kamone »

susan, thank you for the information, but that is not the same Gerardo. Gerardo Perna is living in Monte San Giovanni Campano. He never moved to the United States. He is the brother of Valentino. I know they lived there, but I am trying to find out if they were born in Monte San Giovanni Campano...
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Kamone wrote:susan, thank you for the information, but that is not the same Gerardo. Gerardo Perna is living in Monte San Giovanni Campano. He never moved to the United States. He is the brother of Valentino. I know they lived there, but I am trying to find out if they were born in Monte San Giovanni Campano...

HI There,

The Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Monte San Giovanni Campano, however, its very limited. Here are the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

You are still going to have to write to the town itself for Valention's Birth Act . Here's the address.

Monte San Giovanni Campano
VALLE SNC (VIA)
03025 MONTE SAN GIOVANNI CAMPANO (FR)

Here is a link in order to help you translate your letter.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

I'm not sure if this is your Valentino, but the Birth year is a close match.

Name: Valentino Perna
SSN: 078-10-0320
Last Residence: 11420 Jamaica, Queens, New York, United States of America
Born: 18 Jul 1907
Died: Feb 1974
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

Here is a list of people with the name Perna from the Monte San Giovanni
Campano from Ellis Island

Perna,Giulio Monte S. Giov. 1904 17
Perna,Giuseppe Monte S Giov., Italy 1921 22
Perna,Giuseppe Monte San Giovanni, C., Italy 1909 26
Perna,Michele Monte S. Giovanni 1906 29
Perna,Michele Monte S. Giov. 1906 29
Perna,Santo Monte S. Giovanni Campano, Roma 1921 26
Perna,Silvio Monte S. Giov. 1904 16
Perna,Valentino Monte S. Giovanni 1906 28

Here is a couple of links for the town.

http://www.menteantica.it/montesgiovannifoto.htm
http://digilander.libero.it/montesangiovanni/

I hope this helps.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I understand now, but in your previous message, no clearly about Gerardo.
-About 1930 census " Valentino Perna age 22 in 1930 , italian, plasterer, living in White Plains, Westchester, New York , born abt 1908, married to Mary age unknown, italian; year of emigration of both spouses: unknown........." as above, is this your ancestors?
- As Trish friend advice you, is better to send an mail to Monte San Giovanni Campano city hall...
I've this address:
Ufficio Anagrafe
Piazza Marconi Guglielmo, 3
03025 Monte San Giovanni Campano (FR)
Italia
----------------
and because Gerardo is living you can write an letter and so know all you need.... most probable could be this:

Perna Gerardo
Via Colle Franceschino Chiaiamari, 12
03025 Monte San Giovanni Campano (FR)
Italia
tel +39 0775 868609
--------------------
regards suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Kamone

Post by Kamone »

brujaojos-that is the correct Valentino-thanks!

and susanj-the Gerardo you listed is Valentino's brother-I am going to call him and see what he knows before writing to the commune. Grazie!