SERIO's from Roseto, Naples or Fernelle, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
spridgway7864

SERIO's from Roseto, Naples or Fernelle, Italy

Post by spridgway7864 »

Hello to all,

I did find some information that my paternal grandparents we wed in Roseto, Italy (1909) and that my grandmother (ROSE {PINTO} SERIO) was born in Naples, Italy. They have my grandfathers (FRANCESCO SERIO) birth city listed as Frenelle, Italy, but I am not sure if that is misspelled. They were wed on November 21, 1909.

They settled in Philadelphia when they arrived, but later moved to Florida. They had 9 children named, Michael, Giaconda, Vincent, Ida, Maria, Carmine, Louisa, Matilda, and Filomena,

There is a manifest from 1911 showing my grandfather was 19 and came to Philadelphia with who they list as a friend named Cazane Antonio. In 1920 it showed they were renting their house and had a relative named Libero Serio living with them.

Any help on locating family in the U.S. or Italy would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Susan Serio-Ridgway
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: SERIO's from Roseto, Naples or Fernelle, Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

spridgway7864 wrote:Hello to all,

I did find some information that my paternal grandparents we wed in Roseto, Italy (1909) and that my grandmother (ROSE {PINTO} SERIO) was born in Naples, Italy. They have my grandfathers (FRANCESCO SERIO) birth city listed as Frenelle, Italy, but I am not sure if that is misspelled. They were wed on November 21, 1909.

They settled in Philadelphia when they arrived, but later moved to Florida. They had 9 children named, Michael, Giaconda, Vincent, Ida, Maria, Carmine, Louisa, Matilda, and Filomena,

There is a manifest from 1911 showing my grandfather was 19 and came to Philadelphia with who they list as a friend named Cazane Antonio. In 1920 it showed they were renting their house and had a relative named Libero Serio living with them.

Any help on locating family in the U.S. or Italy would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Susan Serio-Ridgway
Hello Susan! Welcome :-)

Located a naturalization record for your grandfather and the Declaration of Intention clearly shows his birthplace as FOIANO [di Val Fortore] - a comune in the Province of Benevento in the Italian region of Campania, located about 80 km northeast of Naples and about 30 km northeast of Benevento.

He lists his last residence as Roseto [Valfortore] - a town and comune of the province of Foggia in the Apulia region of southeast Italy - where you say they were married. Usually marriages took place in the hometown of the bride, so this MAY be where Rosa Pinto was born.

He immigrated in 1911 on the SS Taormina, lives in Philadelphia, and he works as a stone mason.

Children are listed on the Petition... the first being Vincenzo who was born in Italy in 1910. The next two children (Giaconda, Filomena) were born in Chicago, the next two (Maria, Michael) in Philadelphia.

Click once to enlarge and again to magnify the image.

Edit to add:

Arrival of M(aria) Rosa Pinto and son Vincenzo Serio on 1 April 1915 in New York
She leaves behind in Roseto Valfortore, her mother, Filomena Alterisio :-)
Going to join husband, Francesco Serio, at Grand Ave, Chicago, IL

Lines 18 and 19
page 1

page 2

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great work T
HE was born there according to his military record

PAGINA DI DETTAGLIO
Cognome SERIO
Nome Francesco
Classe: 1891
DataNascita: 15/09/1891
Matricola: 22812
Registro: 68
IF you send this emaill to the Archivio di Stato di Benevento you can his parents name on the record

E-mail: as-bn@beniculturali.it

Archivio di Stato di Benevento
OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Francesco Serio classe di nascita 1891.

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,

La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l'esito di leva di:Francesco Serio nato a Foiano di Val Fortore il 1891.
PAGINA DI DETTAGLIO
Cognome SERIO
Nome Francesco
Classe: 1891
DataNascita: 15/09/1891
Matricola: 22812
Registro: 68
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME EMAIL ADDRESS

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the birth record of Maria Rosa Pinto :-)

Record #31
Dated 15 February 1887 at 10:08 at the town office in Roseto Valfortore.
Appearing before the official was
Michele Pinto, son of Donato, age 38, peasant farmer residing this town, to declare that at 5:30 AM on the 14th of the current month at the place as Strada dei Mulini #36, to Filomena Alterisio, daughter of deceased Filippo, his wife, peasant farmer residing with him, was born a female child who he presented to the official and to whom was given the name MARIA ROSA...

Margin note indicates that on 14 November 1909, Act #29, she married with Francesco Antonio Serio. :-)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1122542305

And here is the last available US Census for Vincenzo/Vincent Serio and his family in 1940 residing in Philadelphia.

1940 United States Federal Census about Vincent Serio
Name: Vincent Serio
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1911
Race: White
Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1940: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: S Fernon Street
House Number: 1830

Farm: No
Inferred Residence in 1935: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Residence in 1935: Same Place
Citizenship: Naturalized
Sheet Number: 7B
Number of Household in Order of Visitation: 118
House Owned or Rented: Rented
Value of Home or Monthly Rental if Rented: 18
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: High School, 1st year
Class of Worker: Wage or salary worker in Government work
Income Other Sources: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Vincent Serio 29
Angeline Serio 27
Rose Serio 3
Frank Serio 1

T.
jkloos

Post by jkloos »

Hi , Writing you from USA . Trying to trace my heritage, i believe i may be a distant cousin of the poster. I was an adopted child and located my maternal side. spoke with a maternal aunt, and trying to research things she said has led me here. i know she mentioned Serio, while discussing family history on my maternal great grandmothers side and that her mother was Sicilian / born in Italy had immigrated to the USA while pregnant with my grandmother. i took Ancestry DNA but have not had results back yet.
jkloos

Post by jkloos »

my info shows that a Mary Catherine believe the maiden name was Rose married a Joseph Winston Shock. Marys mother may have been married twice as a stepfather had been mentioned. sorry for limited details as i an in a new reunion to birth family as of Dec 12, 2014 after 27+ years searching with only physical descriptions and a birth date of my mother (Angela Grace Shock-Pifer) born in Maryland May 30 1951. My name at birth was Maria Shock