Immigration Record for my father in law

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
castle34
Rookie
Rookie

Immigration Record for my father in law

Post by castle34 »

I have been trying to find the emigration record for my father in law Donato Maselli. I have checked Ancestry.com and the book Italians to America but can find no record for him. His naturalization papers say he came to New York on the ship Rotterdam from Rotterdam, Holland. Although, he must have started from Castelpagano, Benevento Italy. His arrival date is listed as 14 May 1901. Does anyone know where I can look to find his arrival emigration record? Thanks for your help.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Immigration Record for my father in law

Post by erudita74 »

castle34 wrote:I have been trying to find the emigration record for my father in law Donato Maselli. I have checked Ancestry.com and the book Italians to America but can find no record for him. His naturalization papers say he came to New York on the ship Rotterdam from Rotterdam, Holland. Although, he must have started from Castelpagano, Benevento Italy. His arrival date is listed as 14 May 1901. Does anyone know where I can look to find his arrival emigration record? Thanks for your help.
If you go to www.stevemorse.org and choose the third option down which is Missing Manifests, you can search this passenger list page by page. Put in the date May 13, 1901, T 715, roll 194, and start with frame 368. Then hit display and use the plus 1 sign to advance each page. The manifest is in extremely poor condition, with some sections completely unreadable. I went page by page and couldn't find him, but due to the condition of the manifest, this does not mean that he wasn't on this ship.
Erudita
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Immigration Record for my father in law

Post by jennabet »

Ciao. I had proof from my grand-father's US naturalization records that he arrived in the USA on such and such a date and on a certain ship but I could never physically locate that record myself. Fortunately a trained eye in this forum went to work and pointed it out to me. I had passed right over it because the spelling of his sur name was completely mangled with only the first three letters being correct. The record you're looking for could also have a similar problem so I would scan carefully and go beyond just looking at the sur name. Information on the rest of the line could give you a clue even if the name is mis-spelled.