Surname Help??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sarahbertles

Surname Help??

Post by sarahbertles »

I am researching my fathers history. He was adopted at a young age by a man his biological mother married. His biological fathers name is Albo Anthony Fiorenza. All i know is he was born in Italy. i am hoping someone can help me out with where this surname is located in italy. I know he was born March 13, 1925 and moved to the united states. He moved to Syracuse NY where he met and married my grandmother. His death date is Sept. 1973. if anyone has any information on the name FIORENZA. i would greatly appreciate it. thanks again,

sarah
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Surname Help??

Post by wldspirit »

The surname is present in 472 comuni thruout Italy.
In order to locate the town of origin you will need to obtain
further documentation on your ancestor in hopes that the town of origin is listed somewhere in the documents. Birth, marriage, death and baptism certificates are examples of documents you could obtain, also naturalization infos. Without the town of origin...it is like looking for a needle in a haystack!!
wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

sarahbertles wrote:I am researching my fathers history. He was adopted at a young age by a man his biological mother married. His biological fathers name is Albo Anthony Fiorenza. All i know is he was born in Italy. i am hoping someone can help me out with where this surname is located in italy. I know he was born March 13, 1925 and moved to the united states. He moved to Syracuse NY where he met and married my grandmother. His death date is Sept. 1973. if anyone has any information on the name FIORENZA. i would greatly appreciate it. thanks again,

sarah
Dear Sarah,

Believe it or not you have a pot of gold with just knowing the Birth-father's name. Many adoptees don't even know who their birth (biological) parents are. I know for my own personal experience what it's like to be an adoptee.

Back to genealogy, since you have a death date for Albo, send for his death certificate from Liverpool, Onondaga, New York. It might have some clues on it.

I found this information on the Florida Divorce Index.
Name: Albo A Fiorenza
Spouse's Name: Sally Louise [Fiorenza]
Divorce Date: Apr 1963
County: Volusia
Certificate Number: 7227

Also, do you remember anyone ever saying when Albo came to the USA? Or if he was Calabrese or Abruzzese, etc....? That could narrow down the part of Italy he was from.

The more information you have, the more we can help.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sarahbertles wrote:I am researching my fathers history. He was adopted at a young age by a man his biological mother married. His biological fathers name is Albo Anthony Fiorenza. All i know is he was born in Italy. i am hoping someone can help me out with where this surname is located in italy. I know he was born March 13, 1925 and moved to the united states. He moved to Syracuse NY where he met and married my grandmother. His death date is Sept. 1973. if anyone has any information on the name FIORENZA. i would greatly appreciate it. thanks again,

sarah
HI, see please:
Name: Albo Fiorenza
SSN: 090-20-2801
Last Residence: 13088 Liverpool, Onondaga, New York, United States of America
Born: 13 Mar 1928
Died: Sep 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )
about the surname is popular, but the first name"Albo" let me think the Calabria or Sicily region..
Also are Albo( aka Bucht) Fiorenza died in Liverpool, Onondaga, NY, the 22 Sep. 1973. Survived:
the Norma(Jane) Fiorenza wife and 3 sons: Allen, Russell, Edward; his father Vincent Fiorenza, two brothers: Larry and Louise Fiorenza; an sister: Jerry(Lena) Trichelo; several nieces, nephews and cousins.... etc
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1693 ... za16vo.jpg

-----------
in 1952 Albo Fiorenza was resident in 313 Burnet Ave, Syracuse: from newpaper 25 nov 1952
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2424 ... 5216ac.jpg

if we will find the Vincent father..... :wink: !

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

about the surname is very diffused, but the first name"Albo" let me think the Calabria or Sicily region.

I too thought Calabria Region for the name Fiorenza is very popular in Badolato and Santa Caterina dello Ionio.

Also are Albo( aka Bucht) Fiorenza died in Liverpool, Onondaga, NY, the 22 Sep. 1973. Survived:
the Norma(Jane) Fiorenza wife and 3 sons: Allen, Russell, Edward; his father Vincent Fiorenza, two brothers: Larry and Louise Fiorenza; an sister: Jerry(Lena) Trichelo; several nieces, nephews and cousins.... etc
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/1693 ... za16vo.jpg

Great find! And Suanj, since you have the newspapers from Ancestry.com, can you look something up on another post for someone?

And since the father's name is Vincent Fiorenza, This could be Vinenzo (aka-James) in the USA in 1930 in Syracuse. He is married in this census. Maybe later on, he brought the family over.

Name: James Fiorenza
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Cousin
Race: White
Home in 1930: Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Family and neighbors: View Results
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Syracuse, Onondaga, New York; Roll: 1627; Page: 13A; Enumeration District: 38; Image: 281.0.

Hope this helps.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
sarahbertles

Post by sarahbertles »

thank you guys soooo much for all of the information. and suanj, thank you for looking that up...that is my grandfather. my dad is Allen. i dont have a relationship with these people, so thats why im doing this and dont have a lot of information. but thanks again. you guys have helped a lot
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

"Great find! And Suanj, since you have the newspapers from Ancestry.com, can you look something up on another post for someone?"
Sure..for you Trish, sure!
hugs suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sarahbertles wrote:thank you guys soooo much for all of the information. and suanj, thank you for looking that up...that is my grandfather. my dad is Allen. i dont have a relationship with these people, so thats why im doing this and dont have a lot of information. but thanks again. you guys have helped a lot
Hi Sara, sorry for my english, but I wish understand better:
from newspapers we know:
1. Vincent (Vincenzo*) Fiorenza
1.1. Albo Anthony Fiorenza (married to Louise Sally and Norma...)
1.1.1 Allen Fiorenza
1.1.2 Russel Fiorenza
1.1.3. Edward Fiorenza
1.2 Larry Fiorenza
1.3 Louise( Louis?) Fiorenza
1.4 Jerry(lena) Trichelo(exact TRICHILO, calabrian surname) nee Fiorenza

NOW: who was adopted...? Allen?
Please reply me, thanks, suanj

* Vincent = Vincenzo; James = Giacomo
correction: Vincent and James could be same person because in an press article i read that Louis Fiorenza marrie Dolores Fusco; well, Louis is the son of Mary Morabito and James Fiorenza, so Vincent and James could besame person... sorry; but in 1942 March are between Lottery winner the just name FIORENZA Vincenzo and the same address http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8917/v ... ch13uk.jpg

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sarahbertles

Post by sarahbertles »

Allen was adopted. thats all i have to go by now. I have his adoption paper. After Albo divorced Norma...Allens mother, she re-married. His name is Delbert Antill and Delbert adopted Allen, Russell and Edward. But Allen is my father so im concentrating on him.

On the adoption paper is states that his biological father is Albo Anthony Fiorenza. The only thing it shows is Italy was his place of birth. and that he was a paint mixer. My father (allen) was born in Syracuse NY on Dec. 30, 1948. thats about all that i know.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Also I wish that you know, dear Sara,
that for to find the roots, it is necessary referring to Fiorenza in Syracuse and to hope in some trace. Already we know by dearest Trish, that was an James Fiorenza in Syracuse... no most Fiorenza families in Syracuse, sure from 1930 census we have: James Fiorenza., liste as cousin of Joseph Carni( the Carni/Carmi or Carini, age 36 in 1930, emigrated in 1913) I think that the Place of Joseph Carni is the same of James Fiorenza, and most probable also of Albo...

About Lena Trichilo Fiorenza hare an newspaper article Syracuse Herald Journal (Syracuse, New York) > 1954 > November >
very interesting about the marriage, and I think that in the St Peter Italian church of Syracuse are some documents about italian birthplace, and we know that the Albo Anthony mother was Mary Fiorenza nee Morabito( wow). are also wonderful picture of Lena http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/2302 ... lo19ad.jpg :

But in Syracuse, in 1936 , 10 April, an orrible omicide was commited: John Fiorenza( from photo seems around 38/40 old) killed the Nancy Evans Titterton the famous writer.

This sad new, for to understand that was possible that in 1930 other families was in Syracuse... but also me, I found only James.. sigh.. it is possible that the Albo family and othesrs came AFTER 1930 ..I think that are some probabilities that was of same italian place;

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sarahbertles

Post by sarahbertles »

thank you so much. you have been very helpful. i appreciate you taking the time to look these things up and help me
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

About Larry Fiorenza, brother of Albo, I read that was married with an daughter of Frank Catalanotte... the Catalanotte people was also in Calabria and Sicily..
but the best chance is to phone call Fiorenza living in Syracuse, that sure they know the right birthplace:
in 1994
LARRY FIORENZA 301 GREENWAY AVE SYRACUSE NY (315) 472-9346
LARRY J FIORENZA 166 CLIFTON PL SYRACUSE NY (315) 472-8607
---------
in 2002
Fiorenza Larry 301 Greenway Ave Syracuse NY zip 13206-3536 phone 315-472-9346
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Sara,

Just my 2 cents from reading the posts.

Albo Anthony Fiorenza was married to Louise Sally and they divorced in Florida in April 1963.

Then Albo Anthony Fiorenze married Norma. According to the obit when Albot died on 9-22-1973 he was survived by wife Norma Jane and three sons.

From this it seems that Norma Jane remarried after the death of her husband Albo. This assumes the information in the obit is true.

Some suggestions to discover the birth town in Italy of Albo:
1. Contact family still in NY as suggested by Suanj. Albo died 30 years ago. Perhaps a cousin or Aunt or Uncle would be happy to hear from his grandchild after all these years.

2. File a Freedom of Information Request (FIOA) with the USCIS. They should have inforamtion on when he entered the US. This is free, but takes time and paperwork.

3. SEnd away for a copy of his Social Security application. It may list his place of birth, or may just say Italy.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Sarah,

Sarah, I am an adoptee. I also found my birth family. And believe it or not, when I found out names and address of people with the same surname in the same location as where my birth family was from, I wrote to them. I always put a SASE in with it, otherwise, I might not hear from them.

From writing, I now know Aunts, Great Aunts, cousins, cousins, and more cousins. Everyone has been sharing information with me as well as gave me pictures of some of my ancestors. Write to them.

And like everyone is telling you on this post, send away for the documents. They all could have clues on them.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
sarahbertles

Post by sarahbertles »

i really appreciate everyone helping me out and giving me advice. thank you all very much. i will definitely start writing and obtaining more documents. my husband is in the military and we are moving to germany in a couple of months. i am hoping to get as much information as possible. i will be making a trip or two to italy and was hoping to see the area in which my family is from.