Tagliavore, Guastella and Miliano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Tagliavore, Guastella and Miliano

Post by gallohjc »

Looking for any information for Maria Guastella who married Gaetano Taglialavore and the relationship of Caterina Guastella to Maria.

Also, Antonia Guastella married to Francesco Miliano.

Believe everyone is from Agrigento, Cianciana or Ribera, Sicily in the mid to late 1800's.

Step in the right direction would be appreciated.

Helen Gallo
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Tagliavore, Guastella and Miliano

Post by carubia »

They were from Ribera. Look at the records indexed online on familysearch.org. Francesco Miliano was born around 1791 and Antonia Guastella around 1818. Among their children were Alfonzo, Maria, Gaetano, Maria Carmela, and Maria Sabella. I suspect that he is same Francesco Miliano as the one in my tree who was married to a Maria Leotta who died young. I'll do a search in the early 1830s for their marriage record to confirm this.

Edit to add:
I just found their marriage record. It's number 39 in 1834. I'll look it up the next time I visit an FHC, which might be next week. The copy of the index that I have is a little difficult to read, but it appears that the bride's parents were Gaetano Guastella and Lucia Gatto. They were married on 30 May 1834. She is from Ribera but it looks like he was born elsewhere (maybe Sciacca or Cianciana, if it is abbreviated).

Francesco's mother's given name was Elisabetta, maybe Elisabetta Di Martino. His father was probably Vincenzo.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

This dovetails with the information I have on "my" Francesco Miliano: He was born around 1790 and had children Vincenzo, Filippo, Emmanuela, and Maria Sabella, all before 1830. His wife Maria Leotta died between 1830 and 1838. His daughter Maria Sabella died in 1839, just before the daughter Maria Sabella of "your" Francesco was born, which fits with the tradition of reusing names.

I've also found what seems to be Maria Leotta's death record from 1833. Her father was Emmanuele and her mother Carmela Cocchiara.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Maria Guastella and Gaetano Taglialavore had a son Vincenzo in Cianciana around 1802. He married Giuseppa Scarpulla (of Michele and Paola Dinghile) in Ribera in 1837. Vincenzo and Giuseppa subsequently moved to Calamonaci. A connection between this family and the previous one is not obvious.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I've located Francesco Miliano's death record. He died in Ribera in 1850. The record says he was born in Positano, the only such place of which I know is in Campania. I won't know if that's really what the record says until I see it myself, since indexers on family search often make mistakes. His place of birth in the marriage index did look like it began with a P, but it looked more like "Pisano."
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Thank you so much. Such info and so fast. This will be incorporated into our family records and I have a Taglialavore researcher who will be very happy!
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You're welcome. If you'd like to see my tree on Ancestry which includes Francesco Miliano and now Antonia Guastella let me know. Maria Guastella and Gaetano Taglialavore, as well as Caterina Guastella, are still not in there since I haven't connected them to anyone else there, but I do have other people with the names Guastella and Taglialavore from Ribera and other towns in Agrigento in there, too. You can send me a PM and I'll give you access.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Okay, I'm not a techie. What's a PM. If it's my E-Mail address hgallo94@comcast.net

Now, I have more Taglialavore. My husband's grandmother, Lucia Taglialavore, born 1879 in Cianciana and died 1941 in Philadelphia, PA. She was the daughter of Clemente Taglialavore (1845-1929) and Maria Giuseppa Cannata (1853-?). Lucia married Angelo Scardino, born 12-25-1872 in Girgenti. I have no other info for him from birth to his U.S. arrival in 1905. I would really like to know his parents and any siblings that remained in Sicily.

I do know that Lucia had a sister, Angelina Taglialavore who married Martino Vacante in Sicily between 1895-1900. I have their info after U.S. arrival. Also in the 1907 U.S. arrival were Lucia's father Clemente (who was then a widower), Lucia's 3 children, Angelina's 2 children, and Pietra, Giovanna, Rosa and Marietta.

I seem to be jumping all over the place but it's really exciting to receive the information. And I do have Ancestry. I am the definition of "Newbie" so please bear with me.

Thanks for everything.

Helen Gallo
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I investigated the connection between Antonia Guastella and the other Guastellas that I have in my tree and realized that I already had her parents and siblings in there. Her sister Maria Giuseppa Guastella married Gaetano Comparetto and then their daughter Caterina Comparetto married Francesco Miliano's son Vincenzo from his first marriage, so Antonia's stepson married her niece. Some of the Comparettos moved to the US and settled around Scranton, Pennsylvania. My GM's 1st cousin Domenica Carubia married Gaetano Comparetto (the grandson of the aforementioned man with the same name) and they lived with my GM's family in NY and then PA.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Vorrei ringraziarvi per tutto il vostro aiuto nella ricerca di membri della mia famiglia siciliana. Questo site e la competenza mostrata da tutti i volontari e molto apprezzato. Quelli che cercano non abbiamo mai saputo, ma questo non significa che sono da dimenticare. La vita e una creazione di recordi e di tutti i nostri antenati sono parte di questo.

Cosi, per tutto quello che hai fatto e forst piu ancora da fare.

Gratitudine.

Elena Maria Gallo

P.S. Thought it would be proper to reply in the language of my family I'm trying to discover.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Prego.

I had a chance to get to an FHC and looked up Francesco Miliano and Antonia Guastella's marriage record. As I suspected, he was a widower, his first wife being Maria Leotta. I also confirmed that he was from Positano in Salerno province in Campania. You can see this record and Maria Leotta's death record in my tree now.