Sarah Parmiter died 1906 Italy- Nun?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
meekhcs

Sarah Parmiter died 1906 Italy- Nun?

Post by meekhcs »

Sarah was born in Dorset 1825 to Thomas Parmiter and Sarah Gillingham. Converted to the RC faith, together with her Father and his second wife Mary in 1841. The last record in the UK I have for her is the 1841 census where she is with her family at St Andrews Farm East Stoke Dorset.
I have nothing else until her death in Italy in 1906 which I discovered on Ancestry . The record is in Italian, which unfortunately I do not understand.
Can anyone read the record for me please, and tell me if there is anything of note on there.
Or can anyone advise me where to look for details of her life in Italy.
Many thanks Sally
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sarah Parmiter died 1906 Italy- Nun?

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website can you leave a page link to the death record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Is this the record?

Extract of the register of acts of death of year 1906, Number 3569, Serie A, Volume 5, Parte I

Sara Parmiter

Dated 23 September 1906 at 9 AM at the town office. Before the official Agesilao Milano Filipperi, Secretary delegated by the Mayor on 2 December 1904 as official of vital records for the Comune of Rome…
Appeared Alfredo Scalamonti, age 36, clerk, residing in Rome, and Bruto Scarpetti, age 21, assistant clerk, residing in Rome; to declare that at 10 AM yesterday [22 September] at the place at Via Palermo #19, age 81, residing …., born in (near southwest?) England to deceased Tommaso residing…. And to deceased Sara Gilligham, residing….
She was unmarried.
Record was witnessed by Attilio del Pinto, 53, clerk; and Carlo Azzurri, 62, clerk, both residing in this town.
They all signed.

I do not see anything that identifies her as a nun - only that she was unmarried.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Tessa on the second page, on the left bottom, it are a stamp: " Ministero di Graziae Giustia e Dei Culti"= Grace and Justice and of Cults Department
so she could be a nun..
hugs,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

suanj wrote:Hi Tessa on the second page, on the left bottom, it are a stamp: " Ministero di Graziae Giustia e Dei Culti"= Grace and Justice and of Cults Department
so she could be a nun..
hugs,
suanj
Hi, suanj! :-D

Thanks, I missed that!

HUGS to you.

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Tessa78 wrote:
suanj wrote:Hi Tessa on the second page, on the left bottom, it are a stamp: " Ministero di Grazia e Giustizia e Dei Culti"= Grace and Justice and of Cults Department
so she could be a nun..
hugs,
suanj
Hi, suanj! :-D

Thanks, I missed that!

HUGS to you.

T.
sorry for typos.. I correct my previous reply.. my keyboard is crazy this today :D :D :D
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Hello Everyone and thank you for the replies.

Yes that is the record I have and thank you for the translation. Unfortunately when I tried to upload it I got caught up in the new anti hacking software that is being installed on the forum and was locked out of the post until now!

So assuming that the identifying stamp tells us that she could possibly be a Nun is there anywhere I can look to confirm this please?

Sarah's family were tenant farmers to the WELD family in Dorset. The Weld family were Roman Catholic, and as a result Sarah's family converted to the RC faith.

Nearby to where they lived in Dorset was St Monica's Priory in the village of Spetisbury. From 1800-1861 it housed Augustinian Nuns, the Canonnesses Regular of the Windesheim Congregation who, I think,came to Britain from Leuven (Louvain) in Belgium. From 1861-1887 the Priory housed an order of Bridgettine Nuns.
Sarah's younger sister Anna Elizabeth and step sister Maria Shepherd both attended school at the Priory in the 1840's and 50's, but I can find no record of Sarah attending and I have no record of her after the 1841 uk census
Thank you
sally
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

As a follow up to my last post, in the hope that fresh eyes may see it, I have been unable to get any further with this query.
I would be very appreciative if anyone is able to offer any suggestions as to where else I may look.
Thank you
Sally Meek
meekhcs

Post by meekhcs »

Three years on and I am still struggling with this Lady.
I have tried researching the address where she passed away, "via Palermo 19", through google without success.
Even if she hadn't taken Holy Orders I think she must have been connected to the church in some way. I cannot think of another reason why a single woman,born of a Farming Family rooted in Dorset England, would have made her way to Italy.
I would be very grateful if someone could spare the time to look at this further for me,or give me an idea where I might find further info.
Many thanks,
Regards Sally