Trying to trace village in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
carolyn viviani

Trying to trace village in Italy

Post by carolyn viviani »

I am trying to trace where in Italy my husband's family came from
Rumours abound within the family.
I have carried out research and found out a great deal,none of which anyone else knew.
As such we cannot rely on what was stated.
My husband's grandfather Iginio Viviani born around 1890 came to Scotland with his sister Filumena born around 1892 before the 1911 census.Sometime later his much younger brother Ellero born 1899 followed.
Filumena married a Mr Matteucci-they appear to have left Scotland,returned to Italy around 1924,or gone to America,we don't know.
Iginio returned to Italy shortly after 1925 with his wife and growing family,but seems to have returned to Scotland around 1929.
Ellero also eventually based himself permanently in Scotland.
Much family tragedy then appears to have beset the family over the next few years and contacts with various members of all the different families were lost.
We would like to find out where Iginio Viviani and his siblings came from.
Their parents were Angelo Viviani and Maria Moriconi.
There appears no trace in the passenger lists,but we were told it was by ship.
Unfortunately my husband's father passed away sometime ago.
The children are interested which is why I have researched so far.
There appears a tie to Liguria but I cannot get any further than that.
Viviani is not a common name there
He was in a boarding house with Matteucci and Quadrelli.
They were employed at the outset by a Mr Biagi .I have read that the Italians recruited from their own localities,so there may be a common area.
I would be interested to receive any information that may assist.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Trying to trace village in Italy

Post by corrado »

This is not an easy task Carolyn but I would try to get Iginio Viviani's draft record in Italy, assuming he left after he was 18. This record is kept in the provincial capital. It would have the comune of birth and then you are there. Other sources are the catholic chruch reocrds in scotland if he was married, it may have the comune on that record. Also the death cert, may have the record. I hope of of these kind people will be of further help. They have great resources, but that is a fall back. I have used draft records in the past. Again it is more than a notion, but I see you are willing to do some work.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, all surnames that you mentioned are in Camaiore town( Lucca province, Tuscany, IT) but also it is possible that your Igino was born in some other Commune in the area...
just a suggestion,
regards,
suanj

PS:
maybe Mr Matteucci was Mr Ugo Matteucci and Mr Biagi was Mr Celestino Biagi??
http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issu ... pages/2408
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Mine can be just a trace...
In Ellis Island, there are only 4 Ellero's (as a name, not surname) from Italy. They all were from Forlì or province.
But, as Suanj said, all the surnames you mentioned are common in Tuscany.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

1911 census should give you his town of birth. At least it does in England.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Big Viv

Post by Big Viv »

Hi Carolyn,
I don't think I can help you but you may be able to help me.
My father is from Scotland and we bear the Viviani name but of the family history I know nothing and as my father and his family no longer communicate.
I have little knowledge of my family history, all I have is his Grandfather - Gino, Parents- Gino & Eleanor (a whole lot of brothers & sisters), Uncle - Mario, Home town Kilmarnock.
Does any of this tie in with your branch of the Viviani clan and if so could you give me the bare bones of the history you have.
My father came to Australia in 1982.
annaria

Post by annaria »

Hallo,
I'm Anna Maria Matteucci and Filomena Viviani was my grand grand mother.
We live in Viareggio but my father was born in Camaiore: Giuliano Matteucci.
Filomena had 4 children: Berti, Romolo (was my grand father), Lino and Daisy.
I've a old foto of her with her husband. If you like i'll send it.
If you want to contact me and my family to have other informations you can write to:
olimpia.olimpia@alice.it
I hope to receive your news
Best regards
Sincerely
Anna Maria Matteucci
kevinfawcett

Post by kevinfawcett »

Hi Big Viv,

I'm trying to contact Gino, as his Duke of Edinburgh's Award Leader, Jenny Ramsey - yup she's still going strong - would like to get in touch, but has lost his contact details, she believes that he is somewhere in the Edinburgh area.

Regards
viviani cristina

Post by viviani cristina »

Hi Carolyn, I try to write in english but I'm sorry for my english.
I am Cristina Viviani, the nephew of Maddalena, borned in Capezzano Monte in Pietrasanta Lucca in 1901. She was the fifth daughter of Angelo Viviani and Maria Moriconi and his brothers were Ellero Filomena Ellera and Gino.
My father Viviani Mirio talk about his uncles ( Gino and Ellero). They went in Kilmarnock and he haven't news from 1957/58. Mirio is in contact with Matteucci's family in Camaiore. He met Margherita, dauther of one of his uncle, when she came in Italy.
I'm sure that we are from the same family. I and my father will be happy to write about family with you.
Ciao, Cristina :)
walshsierra

Post by walshsierra »

Hi~

I am from the US and trying to track my grandmother's family. Her mother was Elizabetta Moriconi from Lucca, Italy and her father Vincenzo Del Polito. I was told her mother and sister stayed in Italy. Her sister's name is Pia Palagi. Would you have any information that would be helpful for me to track my ancestors?
walshsierra

Post by walshsierra »

I also understand that when my grandmother's father Vincenzo Del Polito re-married a Dominica Leonetti. I have information on some of the US relatives on the Del Polito side but the Italy ones from Moriconi and Leonetti.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

walshsierra wrote:Hi~

I am from the US and trying to track my grandmother's family. Her mother was Elizabetta Moriconi from Lucca, Italy and her father Vincenzo Del Polito. I was told her mother and sister stayed in Italy. Her sister's name is Pia Palagi. Would you have any information that would be helpful for me to track my ancestors?
Welcome!

Can you provide some dates of birth/marriage?

T.
Mark Viviani

Post by Mark Viviani »

Hi

My grandfather was Ellero Viviani he moved from Italy to Kilmarnock around 1908. He came with one of his brothers but there seems to have been a family feud as they stopped speaking. My dad Neville Viviani is 83 and is Elleros only child. Me and my 3 brothers were bought up in Kilmarnock and Neville is still alive and living in Kilmarnock but doesn't have much recollection of his family history or any connection with the other Viviani's living in Kilmarnock.

Our children are interested in the name so we have been looking into it. We went to Marina Di Pietrasanta in Tuscany and discovered my grandmother's family still live there (maiden name Galeotti) but they do not know much about the Viviani history. We have an Italian ID card from 1924 which states Ellero was from Pietrasanta which is not far from Camaiore.

Can anyone give us any further information on the Viviani's and the reason for the feud/tragedy.

I believe I have second cousins/great uncles in Kilmarnock and possibly in Italy that I would love to meet.

Mark Viviani
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have an approximate year of birth for Ellero?
The online records for Pietrasanta do not appear to have indexes. It would help narrow down the years to search :-)

Here is the link to the onlline records for Pietrasanta at free site FamilySearch.org
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2043811

T.
Mark Viviani

Post by Mark Viviani »

Hi
Apologies for the late response, he was born in 1899 any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mark