Help with Latin Atto di Battesimo!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Help with Latin Atto di Battesimo!

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Hello! I think I found my ancestor's Atto di Battesimo! It's in Latin and it's from 1769! Can someone verify that it's for Andrea Salerno and that his parent's names are Vincenzo Salerno and Anna Francaviglia? Also, does it give the ages for his parents? It's on the LEFT side...THIRD one down! Thank you so much!

Grazie,
Gina

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :375022154
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help with Latin Atto di Battesimo!

Post by Tessa78 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Hello! I think I found my ancestor's Atto di Battesimo! It's in Latin and it's from 1769! Can someone verify that it's for Andrea Bernardus Salerno Yes[/b] and that his parent's names are Vincenzo Salerno YES, son of Andrea and Anna Francaviglia YES, daughter of Nicolai? Also, does it give the ages for his parents? NO It's on the LEFT side...THIRD one down! Thank you so much!

Grazie,
Gina

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :375022154
T.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you so much! WOW! I think I did quite well considering I don't know a stitch of Latin! Is Nicolai a male name?

Thanks again!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Gina,
A few things-
Vincenzo and his deceased father, Andrea, both had the title of Maestro (master of whatever trade they practiced). Nicolai, father of Anna, was also deceased. There is also a 3rd first name given to the infant. His name is Andrea Bernardo and the third name is possibly Silvestre (Sylvester) or Silas (the Latin for Silas would be Siluanus).
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Now I am confused! So the baby, Andrea, was born AFTER the death of his father, Vincenzo? Or was Vincenzo's fathers name also Andrea? WOW! This gets complicated! Was it typical on a Battisimo to only give the maternal father's name? And could Nicolai also be Nicolo?

Thanks again for answering all my questions! I appreciate the help!

Grazie,
Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Now I am confused! So the baby, Andrea, was born AFTER the death of his father, Vincenzo? Or was Vincenzo's fathers name also Andrea? WOW! This gets complicated! Was it typical on a Battisimo to only give the maternal father's name? And could Nicolai also be Nicolo?

Thanks again for answering all my questions! I appreciate the help!

Grazie,
Gina
Gina,
No, it was not the baby Andrea's father who was deceased, although I have seen children in the records who were born after their fathers had died. It was the baby Andrea's paternal grandfather, also an Andrea, who was deceased. So Vincenzo had both a father and son with the first name Andrea.

In this record you have both parents' fathers' first names-Vincenzo's father being Andrea, and Anna's father being Nicola or Nicolo in Italian. Both grandfathers were already deceased by the time of the baptism.

Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you, Erudita! I think my brain has had enough for tonight! Thanks again for your help!

Gina
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

One last question before I call it a night....with the names of Andrea Salerno's father and paternal grandparents..I would like to try to go back as far as possible. If you were me, knowing familysearch has the records on-line, what should I do next? Should I try to find the marriage record of Vincenzo Salerno and Anna Francaviglia?

Grazie,
Gina
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

It's exciting to think I could possibly go back as far as the late 1600's with this ancestral line!!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:One last question before I call it a night....with the names of Andrea Salerno's father and paternal grandparents..I would like to try to go back as far as possible. If you were me, knowing familysearch has the records on-line, what should I do next? Should I try to find the marriage record of Vincenzo Salerno and Anna Francaviglia?

Grazie,
Gina
Gina
You should definitely try to find Vincenzo's and Anna's marriage record next. I actually got back in my husband's main ancestral town to a marriage which took place in Jan of 1661. The bad thing though was that I learned the husband was from another town, and there are no church records for that other town. Also the priest in the record did not give the groom's mother's surname. She is just referred to under her married name, as you would have in Mr and Mrs... So even though the church records in this town go into the mid 1500s, I can't go further back, at least not at this time with this surname. Also I tried going back further with other surnames in the ancestry, but when I got into the earlier records, there was such limited information, that I couldn't tell if an individual was related to the ancestry or not. Hopefully though you'll get further back.
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you! This should be fun considering my lack of knowledge in Latin! But, I DID find this Baptism record so maybe I will be successful! If you were me, would you go back about 20-25 years for the marriage record? So maybe look in the years 1740-1750's? I can't believe you got back as far as 1661! THAT is amazing!

Gina
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Erudita!!! I think I found it! Here it is! Can you help me with the names and if it gives ages or birth dates??

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1193714215

It is #34...bottom of the right side! I hope the link lets you see the next page, though!

I think it's from April of 1762!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Erudita!!! I think I found it! Here it is! Can you help me with the names and if it gives ages or birth dates??

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1193714215

It is #34...bottom of the right side! I hope the link lets you see the next page, though!

I think it's from April of 1762!

Hi Gina
Okay, this is the marriage record of Vincenzo Salerno and Anna Francaviglia. To get the correct month, you need to look at #32, two records above this one. That record is dated primo and then there is a 9 xbris-that is the month of November. You record has the same day as record #33 which is the 27th, so the date of the record is Nov 27, 1762. The fifth line down on the second page starts with the word innubus, in reference to Vincenzo Salerno. This means "unmarried." It says he was the son of Maestro Andrea and Antonina Salerno, spouses. So you do not get Antonina's maiden name. This was very common in a lot of the Latin marriage records I have seen. I have even seen ones in which the mother's name was not given at all. Anna Francaviglia is referred to an innuba, which is the Latin feminine form meaning "unmarried." She was the legitimate and natural daughter of deceased Nicolai and deceased Maria Francaviglia, who were spouses when they were alive. (Again, you do not get the mother Maria's maiden name in this record). There are no ages for the spouses given in this record. I don't think I have seen a Latin church marriage record with that kind of info. Sometimes in church death records, you get an age at death, or an approximate age at death. Civil records definitely give you more details, but then those are not available for the earlier years.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

make sure you check you other post Latin marriage record
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you, Erudita! This helps so much! Thanks to you I am getting further in my research!

Grazie,
Gina