PRISONER OF WAR - LINCOLNSHIRE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Roy Tasker

Re: PRISONER OF WAR - LINCOLNSHIRE

Post by Roy Tasker »

I have had a reply from the Red Cross in Geneva however not good news, they are unable to carry out any investigation without a Family name and (or) the exact POW camp number. It is possible that the camp number was POW 30 but that is just a guess! Back to the drawing board it seems. :cry:
Roy Tasker

Post by Roy Tasker »

Does anyone have any suggestions?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Roy Tasker wrote:I have had a reply from the Red Cross in Geneva however not good news, they are unable to carry out any investigation without a Family name and (or) the exact POW camp number. It is possible that the camp number was POW 30 but that is just a guess! Back to the drawing board it seems. :cry:
Hi Roy

I read this 27 Feb post when you wrote it and was somewhat perplexed because I followed up on Camp 30 and there were two mentioned, one was in London and the other slightly further away. They just seemed too far away from Lincolnshire – about 4 hours away if I recall. Maybe you are saying that he started out at Camp 30 and then transferred to a hostel/camp in Lincolnshire? The camp that Suanj mentioned – Camp 80 - was the closest to Digby and sounded like a good option at the time. I think if it was me, for now, I would do a bit more research then choose the most likely camp and ask the Red Cross to do a follow up. Going by your post here it seems that they will do an investigation on just the POW camp which is a plus.

Someone else more experienced with this might have better ideas. There are also some really helpful and encouraging posts to do with POWs here on IG – you may have already read through these. Very frustrating, I'm sure - I'll keep thinking about it.

Angela
Roy Tasker

Post by Roy Tasker »

Thank you Angela, my mistake I meant to say camp 80 & not 30! I will give the Red Cross another shot but I understand the service is halted for about two years due to modernisation?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Roy Tasker wrote:Thank you Angela, my mistake I meant to say camp 80 & not 30! I will give the Red Cross another shot but I understand the service is halted for about two years due to modernisation?
It is certainly worth a try. If you read the following:
Red Cross Announcement: http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/docum ... ld-war.htm

it says towards the end: “While the conservation and scanning project is under way, however, it will be difficult to respond to research requests. This service will therefore be temporarily suspended, barring a few exceptions.”

We'll hope and pray that you are one of the exceptions.

Thanks for coming back to the forum. Keep us posted.

Angela
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I know that is no perfectly pertaining to this topic
but abt Italian POWs in WWII (just of italian AIR Force) detained in UK and USA
here are the names and birthyears ( each POW's file is in the archive of italian AIR FORCE )

http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/storia ... lenchi.pdf
in each Pow file are the follow infos:

Have been reported in the table "main Profile":

• name and surname of the holder (POW);

• year of birth, if missing or illegible indicated by "0";

• military rank at the time of arrest;

• Membership Unit, as indicated on the arrest report or otherwise drafted by the documents and reported in discursive manner; for operating Units is been indicated the place at the time of war's operations, just in cases where the peculiarity was missing or was missing additional identification elements, for support Units was always indicated the city or the basic airport;

• militarized civilian personnel, any civil institution from which it depended and, if present, the location of support;

• place of arrest;

• prison camp;

• the Commission's view and note the integration to judgement.

http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/storia ... ne_pow.pdf

I don't know if I translated very well, hoping understandable...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lala99

Post by lala99 »

Hi suanj
you emailed me last week - thank you.
I see you have attached a document to this post which shows italian air force prisoners of war.
Where can I get a document showing army prisoners of war?
Molte graziers
Louise
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ah, ok, no email, just I replied your PM... I fo found similar document for Army or Navy.. just Air force...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
M Goodall

Post by M Goodall »

Hi Roy. I just googled Taskers farm, Digby an was led to this site. I can't be of much help to you I'm afraid, but my mother and I were billeted at Taskers farm during the war as my father was at the local airfield. I remember there being Italian prisoners of war there though I don't think I was allowed to meet them. I was 5. I knew Amy Tasker very well, and loved her. We used to look after the cows together etc but she suddenly disappeared. I gathered somehow that she wasn't coming back because she was having a baby. I did miss her I have a photo taken at the farm together with my mother and father just before he went off for the last time and was torpedoed in mid- Atlantic Is the farm still run by a Tasker, and was the address Digby House, Digby , Lincs as I have remembered?
Roy Tasker

Post by Roy Tasker »

Hello Ms Goodall, I have just read your email, it was nice to hear that you knew my mother & thank you for taking the trouble to contact me. As you may have gathered, my mother became pregnant by a POW named Stefano but that is all I know about him. You are correct, my mother was shipped to Scunthorpe where her parents lived and I was born in February 1945 at Scunthorpe hospital. I lived with an auntie in Daybrook nr Nottingham for the first five years of my life until my mother married a Norman Tasker who became my stepfather. The farm was called Digby House, Church St, Digby and it was purchased by a family called Snowdon in the early 50s. The grandson of George Tasker (Richard Tasker) lives in the next village (Ashby de la Laude). I am still no further on in finding my father, I know he was collected from the next village (Scopwick) daily & returned each night but without a surname it seems he is difficult to trace!
I would love to see the picture of you & my mother if it was possible to scan it?
My contact details: -
Roy Stephen Tasker
55 Hackthorn Road
Welton
Lincoln LN2 3LY
Mobile 07884954796
Email royjoan2002@yahoo.co.uk
Roy Tasker

Post by Roy Tasker »

Hello Ms Goodall, I have just read your email, it was nice to hear that you knew my mother & thank you for taking the trouble to contact me. As you may have gathered, my mother became pregnant by a POW named Stefano but that is all I know about him. You are correct, my mother was shipped to Scunthorpe where her parents lived and I was born in February 1945 at Scunthorpe hospital. I lived with an auntie in Daybrook nr Nottingham for the first five years of my life until my mother married a Norman Tasker who became my stepfather. The farm was called Digby House, Church St, Digby and it was purchased by a family called Snowdon in the early 50s. The grandson of George Tasker (Richard Tasker) lives in the next village (Ashby de la Laude). I am still no further on in finding my father, I know he was collected from the next village (Scopwick) daily & returned each night but without a surname it seems he is difficult to trace!
I would love to see the picture of you & my mother if it was possible to scan it?

Sorry on my last reply I gave the wrong email address

My contact details: -
Roy Stephen Tasker
55 Hackthorn Road
Welton
Lincoln LN2 3LY
Mobile 07884954796
email joanroy2002@yahoo.co.uk