Ellis Island Images

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Ellis Island Images

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

the boarding on the ship trave has a line through his name. that would indicate that he missed/ did not board the ship.
j.....................
Now that's a possibility I never considered. I didn't realize that passengers that missed the boat were still listed. And now I must wonder what made poor Giovanni miss the boat. I learn something new everyday on this board.
Donna Pellegrin
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

Interesting subject. Last year I was fortuante to attend a lecture by John Colletta (author of "They Came in Ships") regarding immigration records. The subject of lined out manifests came up. Usually the records lined out are not completely filled out, but sometimes they are. The result of a lined out entry is that person was not on the ship. Records are compliled by the shipping lines as people paid for their passage. Sometimes things happened and the person would have to reschedule for a later boat.

I have seen this in my own family. Two manifests within a few weeks of each other. The first manifest had the completed entry lined out. Interestingly, one child (who was adopted, or a foster child) was not with the family on the first manifest, but was on the second. I believe they did not have the proper paperwork to leave Italy with this child who was not the biological daughter, even though they had cared for her since birth. On the second manifest the daughter was there and listed under her birth name, a name she never used in the USA.

I went through the birth registries and there was the abandoned infants birth record, with the name on the manifest (name was given by the mayor) and the birth date matched the date Grandma had used for her birth date.

Because of the passenger manifest at Ellis Island I found a birth record I never expected to find. Of course it had no information regarding her birth parents "ignoti" but we have her birth record from Italy and the passenger manifest to connect her with the only mother she ever knew.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:
the boarding on the ship trave has a line through his name. that would indicate that he missed/ did not board the ship.
j.....................
Now that's a possibility I never considered. I didn't realize that passengers that missed the boat were still listed. And now I must wonder what made poor Giovanni miss the boat. I learn something new everyday on this board.
==============================================

i had the same experience. an uncle was listed on two ships 3/4 weeks apart. ironically all the information was identical. i did assume they were the same person. it wasn't until i was made aware that the name blocked out indicated he either missed the ship or was not allowed on board. once i knew that i scratched the first set of documents and acknowledge the second set.

ciao, juanminbar
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

I also am having problems with the Ellis Island.org website. it has given me either a "no image available" on a black screen, or "this page cannot.... However, as some suggest, i was able to click on the "back" button, and than come forward. very frustrating. I am glad to learn that its not my computer or a virus.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

However, as some suggest, i was able to click on the "back" button, and than come forward. very frustrating. I am glad to learn that its not my computer or a virus.
Yes I did that too... but "refreshing" or "reloading" the page worked better... Your internet browser bar should have that feature at the top of the page...

Or... maybe your Internet browser needs to be updated...

You are having problems today too?

I find that Internet Explorer works better on my end when using the Ellis site...

mfjp
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

Thank you. I have not tryed since early this morning on the site, but ran into problems. I do have the "refresh" button available and I have used it also. I will try again later.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm having trouble viewing the Aug 10, 1907 manifest for Francesco Angiletta and Giuseppa Angiletta. It too keeps saying no image available and no matter what I try, I can't get it to come up...maybe its really not available? Does anyone know?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I will look it up for you....

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Angiletta
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Grotteria, Reggio
Date of Arrival: Aug 10, 1907
Age at Arrival: 38y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Europa
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0011

mfjp

Here is a two page manifest...

page 1

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1696 ... ge18fq.jpg

page 2

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9940 ... ge29ja.jpg

and now to read them!!
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

I'd like to put my 2 cents in here. I'm on AOL and when I find a manifest that I'd like to download I enlarge it then drag it into a blank email page where I can 'edit the picture' and save it to my hard drive.

It saves me lots of frustration. :))