Help Translating Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
txlab69

Help Translating Birth Record

Post by txlab69 »

Is there anyone who can help me with translating these two pages? I have been working on obtaining this birth record for years and finally received it, but am having difficulty reading it.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

There are two pages. I am also very curious about the side note on page 2.

If I need to use larger images, please let me know.

Thank you!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/r ... directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w ... directlink
Attachments
Felice Martignone 1st page.pdf
(425.42 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help Translating Birth Record

Post by liviomoreno »

A larger image would certainly help
txlab69

Post by txlab69 »

Attached are both pages, I think this will be easier. I really appreciate this!

The birth record is for Felice Martignone. Beginning on Record No. 6. The 2nd page is the continuation of record No. 6. I believe the side note on page 2 is the correction to the record for the month and year of birth; March 1865.
Attachments
Felice Martignone 2nd page.pdf
Felice Martignone - Page 2
(381.55 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Felice Martignone 1st page.pdf
Felice Martignone - Page 1
(425.42 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to rotate a PDF file
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't know how to rotate a PDF file
After opening...
Try... Shift+Control+Plus :-)

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The shortcut for rotating a PDF is Shift+Control+R but it only works if you have a particular program installed on your computer. But give it a try. (Shift+Control+Plus expands)

You can also try:
Opening the document
Clicking on VIEW
Then clicking on ROTATE VIEW
Then clicking on CLOCKWISE
This also doesn't work unless you have a particular program but it is worth a try.

I have managed to rotate the document by clicking on the “more” option which is a feature on my computer. It does rotate but I can't save it in rotated mode. If no-one else can manage to rotate and translate I'll see what I can do and give it a go in two hours. I haven't the time at the minute. Good luck. :)

Angela
txlab69

Post by txlab69 »

Thank you both for being helpful. I didn't realize the pdf's were sideways. I think I can get a better scan from home and will re-upload if nobody has been able to read these. I'm excited to know what Felice's birth record reads :D
txlab69

Post by txlab69 »

The images are upright and much better quality.

If anyone could help me translate the most important information on these pages, I'd be so grateful.

Also, Felice Martignone's parents were thought to be from San Ponzo Semola, Pavia, Italy, I see San Ponzo on page one. Is this in reference to his parents?

Thank you in advance!!!
Attachments
Felice Martignone Birth Record Page 3.pdf
Best Imagine - Page 3
(374.89 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Felice Martignone Birth Record Page 2.pdf
Best Imagine - Page 2
(803.44 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Felice Martignone Birth Record Page 1.pdf
Best Imagine - Page 1
(831.86 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've managed to translate a little bit here but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else will give you a fuller and better translation. You only just bet me to your last post here so I had already been working on it before you posted the clearer images. I think the notation in the margin refers more to the name Felice than the date of birth but I may be mistaken. It looks like room was left in the body of the record for the name to be inserted later but someone else would need to verify or negate this. Exciting to finally get this record.

BIRTH RECORD NO 6 – FELICE MARTIGNONE

RECORD IS DATED 1866: 8 MARCH AT 10 A.M. GREMIASCO

Carlo Nivione?, son of the late Giovanni, aged 56, farmer living in this town declared that on 4 March at 3 p.m. was born to Luigia Nivione? , daughter of the late Carlo and wife of the late Felice Martignone (son of the late Luigi) aged 40, farmer living in this town of San Pruzo?? suburb of Musigliano??? a male child. The name Felice doesn't seem to be included in the body of the record?

This is all I can manage to decipher at this time.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:I've managed to translate a little bit here but I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else will give you a fuller and better translation. You only just bet me to your last post here so I had already been working on it before you posted the clearer images. I think the notation in the margin refers more to the name Felice than the date of birth but I may be mistaken. It looks like room was left in the body of the record for the name to be inserted later but someone else would need to verify or negate this. Exciting to finally get this record.

BIRTH RECORD NO 6 – FELICE MARTIGNONE

Carlo Nivione?, son of the late Giovanni, aged 56, farmer living in this town declared that on 4 March at 3 p.m. was born to Luigia Nivione? , daughter of the late Carlo and wife of the late Felice Martignone (son of the late Luigi) aged 40, farmer living in the town of San Ponzo suburb of Musigliano??? a male child. The name Felice doesn't seem to be included in the body of the record?

This is all I can manage to decipher at this time.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've just had another look at the notation and I can see that it says 7 March 1865 so you are probably right about the date correction. I hadn't actually noticed that on the initial documents. I downloaded. I just saw the February 1867 date. I also intended to say Hamlet not suburb but I'm not sure whether San Punzo was the Hamlet or Musigliano? Hopefully someone will give you an exact translation of what it says later. :)

Angela
txlab69

Post by txlab69 »

If this is correct, I have his parents as being from San Ponzo Semola (looks like San Punzo on the record). He may have been born in Musigliano. San Ponzo Semola is now Ponte Nizza a Comune in the Providence of Pavia in the region of Lombardia. Musigliano is a small village in San Sebastiano Curone, Comune in the Providence of Alessandria in the region of Piedmont. They are about a 30 min. drive apart.

Through the years, I have found several cousins in Musigliano and nearby villages, so this does make sense.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

txlab69 wrote:If this is correct, I have his parents as being from San Ponzo Semola (looks like San Punzo on the record). He may have been born in Musigliano. San Ponzo Semola is now Ponte Nizza a Comune in the Providence of Pavia in the region of Lombardia. Musigliano is a small village in San Sebastiano Curone, Comune in the Providence of Alessandria in the region of Piedmont. They are about a 30 min. drive apart.

Through the years, I have found several cousins in Musigliano and nearby villages, so this does make sense.
I think you might be right. Now that I've had a closer look at your last downloads I can see the word Borgato (Hamlet) is mentioned twice not once and it seems to be saying that the mother was living in the Hamlet and town of San Ponzo and so possibly the baby was born in the Borgato (Hamlet) of Musigliano. Not 100% sure though but the mother was living in San Ponzo. (This is certainly a work in progress!) :)

I guess you have seen the following related links:

http://north-italy-genealogy.blogspot.c ... Martignone

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.w ... 32/mb.ashx

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Carlo Nivione, son of the late Giovanni, aged 56, farmer living in this town declared that on 4 March at 3 p.m.in the house of the declarant, situated in Musignano, a hamlet of Gremiasco was born to Luigia Nivione , daughter of the living Carlo and wife of the late Felice Martignone (son of the late Luigi) aged 40, farmer living in San Ponzo a male child.

The name of the child was omitted in the birth act and, on March 7 1867, an annotation was added stating that on Feb 2 1867, the Court ordered to add to the record that the name of the child was Felice.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:RECORD IS DATED 1866: 8 MARCH AT 10 A.M. GREMIASCO

Carlo Nivione, son of the late Giovanni, aged 56, farmer living in this town declared that on 4 March at 3 p.m.in the house of the declarant, situated in Musignano, a hamlet of Gremiasco was born to Luigia Nivione , daughter of the living Carlo and wife of the late Felice Martignone (son of the late Luigi) aged 40, farmer living in San Ponzo a male child.

The name of the child was omitted in the birth act and, on March 7 1867, an annotation was added stating that on Feb 2 1867, the Court ordered to add to the record that the name of the child was Felice.
Great to see the correct translation. :D (I think though that considering I did my translation from the two original attachments that I didn't do too badly.) I had originally understood that the notation related to the fact that the name was not recorded but then when I saw the date 7 March 1867 I misread the year as 1865 because that is what it looked like to me so I thought the notation might have related to the date of birth as well. :?

Just checking one thing, is the Hamlet not Musigliano, you have typed Musignano?

Angela