Ferruzzano

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
MichaelMaranda

Re: Ferruzzano

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Thank you Livio. Do you have a sense of the typical fees involved, if any?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

They are free of charge. Here is a sample letter generator. Include a copy of your ID card and wait 4-6 weeks. (being Ferruzzano a small village you may receive the answer in a shorter time)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote:They are free of charge. Here is a sample letter generator. Include a copy of your ID card and wait 4-6 weeks. (being Ferruzzano a small village you may receive the answer in a shorter time)
Here is a link to the sample letter generator that Livio references :-)

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/genealo ... ecords.asp

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

8) What was wrong with my link? (besides the fact that it was not there?)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

liviomoreno wrote:8) What was wrong with my link? (besides the fact that it was not there?)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

T.
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

I don't know if Catuzza could have been used for Agata. I don't have an Agata in my family tree.

MaryMena
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

I conducted extensive research on that family in the census from 1920-1940 and it looks like a very strong chance of being the right one. I just sent a letter to each of the two remaining daughters, and hoping that they are in good health, I shall wait for a reply from them or their families.

I'll also request the marriage and birth records for Agata, per the suggestion of Livio.

Thank you all for your guidance!

Michael
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

A word of thanks to everyone on this thread. I traced the family that seemed to have most likelihood of being that of my great grandfather's sister Agata, and learned there were two remaining daughters of Agata and wrote them a letter a few weeks ago. Last night I received a reply from their niece, and it confirms the research - we have found the descendants of my great grandfather's sister Agata, who was known as Agnes or more often, Catuzza. Her married name changed from Cardile to Cordello, and they lived in Rochester, NY. They don't know the names of the other three sisters, but they told me one of the sisters went on to Australia and two stayed in Italy. Not sure if I should start another thread or push forward on the Australian inquiry here. (Of course I am also interested to learn what became of the sisters that stayed in Italy.) I am completely unfamiliar with the resources for researching Italians in Australia. All I know as of now is her surname (Marando, sometimes written as Maranda) and her town of birth, Ferruzzano, Reggio Calabria. I estimate her birth between 1881 and 1890.
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Though I never received a reply from the local govt office in Ferruzzano, We have determined the names of my great grandfather's siblings and their dates of birth:

Agata (AKA Achita AKA Catuzza) b .13 Aug 1882 (Died Rochester)
Giovanni (AKA John) b. 21 Oct 1884 (Died Rochester, NY 1948)
Giuseppa Teresa b. 5 Aug 1888
Elisabetta b. 30 Mar 1891
Palma Rosa b. 8 Sept 1893

My great grandfather and his older sister Agata emigrated to Rochester, NY, and I am now in touch with her descendants.

They inform me that one of the younger sisters emigrated to Australia, but we don't know which one. They also believe the other two stayed in Italy.

As Agata emigrated a few years after the earthquake, I am only guessing the other two also survived.
Lizzybob

Post by Lizzybob »

I know that this is pretty much a dead thread at this point, but If you are interested, here is the link to Agata's birth record. The site will have pretty much all of the records available up to around 1904 http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 4.jpg.html
MichaelMaranda

Post by MichaelMaranda »

Thank you!