DiGiorgio and Amendolora

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ginacoco

DiGiorgio and Amendolora

Post by ginacoco »

I am trying to get further back in my genealogy. My maternal grandfather, Frank, was a DiGiorgio. He was born on 10/27/1918 in New York City. His father's name was Nicholas DiGiorgio, via Frank's birth certificate, but that could have been the American version of his first name. Nicholas died around 1920.

Frank's mother's name was Domenica Amendolara (1895-1975). I am not 100% sure of the Amendolara spelling. Her father was Francesco Amendolara and her mother was Maria Turzo.

My grandfather said his family came from the Bari region of Italy. This is the extent of what I know. I would like to go back on both sides and get some genealogy information, if possible. Thanks, in advance, for your help:)
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: DiGiorgio and Amendolora

Post by erudita74 »

ginacoco wrote:I am trying to get further back in my genealogy. My maternal grandfather, Frank, was a DiGiorgio. He was born on 10/27/1918 in New York City. His father's name was Nicholas DiGiorgio, via Frank's birth certificate, but that could have been the American version of his first name. Nicholas died around 1920.

Frank's mother's name was Domenica Amendolara (1895-1975). I am not 100% sure of the Amendolara spelling. Her father was Francesco Amendolara and her mother was Maria Turzo.

My grandfather said his family came from the Bari region of Italy. This is the extent of what I know. I would like to go back on both sides and get some genealogy information, if possible. Thanks, in advance, for your help:)

Concerning Domenica Amendolara (which I believe is the correct spelling of the surname)- where did you get her mother's maiden name from? The reason I ask is that I found a Domenica whose father was a Francesco, but whose mother was a Maria Tullo and she was from the town of Palo del Colle in Bari Province, born in Jan of 1895. The parents married in that same town in 1882.

These are links to the records, in case these are your ancestors

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 7.jpg.html
birth Jan 17, 1895. Father: Francesco, age 37, son of deceased Arcangelo. Mother Maria Tullo, daughter of Vito.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
Marriage: Sept 2, 1882. Francesco, age 25, peasant/farmer, son of Arcangelo Amendolara and Anna Carbonella. Maria Tullo, age 21, daughter of Vito and Antonia Masiello.

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ginacoco wrote:I am trying to get further back in my genealogy. My maternal grandfather, Frank, was a DiGiorgio. He was born on 10/27/1918 in New York City. His father's name was Nicholas DiGiorgio, via Frank's birth certificate, but that could have been the American version of his first name. Nicholas died around 1920.

Could this be the WWI registration for your GGF, Nicholas? Name listed is Vito Nicola Di Giorgio.
DOB: 8 July 1896 in Santeramo, Bari, Italy
Living in NYC (hard to read street address) with wife and 1 child.

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Vito Nicola Digiorgio
Name: Vito Nicola Digiorgio
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 8 Jul 1896
Race: Caucasian (White)
Draft Board: 165

Possible arrival for the above Vito Nicola Di Giorgio - from Santeramo...
Leaving father, Michele, in Santeramo.
Appears to be traveling with a brother, Giulio, age 15; and on the next line, another brother(?), Francesco, age 23, who leaves a wife, Angela "Paravosa"? in Santeramo.
They are going to a brother, Erasmo, in NYC

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Vito Nicola Digiorgio
Name: Vito Nicola Digiorgio
Arrival Date: 4 May 1913
Birth Date: abt 1895
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: santerama
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Cedric

Possible marriage record in NYC :-)

DiGiorgio Vito N Jun 12 1916 #22012 Manhattan
Mendolara Domimica Jun 12 1916 #22012 Manhattan

If this is your GF Francesco's parents... looks like your GGF's given name was Vito Nicola, and he was from Sateramo, Bari :-)

Here is the birth record from Santneramo for the Vito Nicola Di Giorgio in the WWI record above
Born 8 July 1896
Record #364 at bottom left of image
Father: Michele, age 37, baker
Mother: Maria Giuseppa Ninni, his wife residing with him at
Via Altamura #13 in Santeramo
Child was born at 8 PM, presented the next day, and given the name VITO NICOLA

POSSIBLE death record index for [Vito] Nicola Di Giorgio in 1920 in NYC?
DiGiorgio Nicolo 24 y Feb 5 1920 #5678 Manhattan

Edited to add:
Birth of Francesco Di Giorgio (the brother on manifest along with Vito Nicola above)
in Santeramo in November 1890 to Michele Di Giorgio, age 32, peasant farmer; and his wife, Maria Giuseppa Ninni.
Notation in column of Francesco's marriage to Angela Rosa Paradiso (sounds like it could be the Angela Pavarosa on the manifest :-) )

Record #504 on bottom right

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

If the information I posted above is the correct family....

Here is the Publication of Marriage Banns for Michele Di Giorgio and Maria Giuseppa Ninno/Ninni

REcord #56 (right side of image)
Dated 7 September 1878 in Sateramo in Colle, Bari, Italy
Groom: Michele Di Giorgio, age 19, peasant farmer born in Santeramo in Colle to Giuseppe, peasant farmer, and to Rosa Nuzzi, peasant farmer.
Bride: Maria Giuseppa Ninno (later Ninni on birth records for sons), age 20, peasant farmer born in Sateramo to Erasmo, a mason, and to Chiara Siletti, peasant farmer.

The banns were posted on 8, 15, and 19 of September 1878.
Generally, the marriage took place soon after those dates.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

Daughter born to Michele Di Giorgio and Maria Giuseppa Ninni in 1880
Rosa (record #127)

T.
superkaze

Post by superkaze »

In my search abount Santeramo in Colle i found some information abount Maria Giuseppa Ninno. Her parents are:
Erasmo Ninni (about 1831 - ?)
Chiara Silletti (about 1829 - ?)

The parents of Erasmo Ninni are:
Vito Nicola Ninni (about 1793 - ?)
Angela Dona (about 1795 - ?)

The parents of Chiara Silletti are:
Raffaele Gennaro Silletti (about 1784 - ?)
Maria Natuzzi (about 1795 - 15/01/1865)

The parents of Maria Natuzzi are:
Nicola Natuzzi (? - 24/07/1804)
Rosa Stano (about 1760 - 19/08/1835)

The parents of Rosa Stano are:
Filippo Stano
Pasqua Cassano

For some of this names i saved from "antenati" website the images about birth, marriage, etc...