Ciampi, Maria Giovanna Birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Ciampi, Maria Giovanna Birth

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Ciampi, Maria Giovanna Birth

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BIRTH RECORD NO 3 – MARIA GIOVANNA CIAMPI

Date of record – 2 January 1870 at 10 a.m.

Appearing (and presenting) is Giuseppe Ciampi, son of Gennaro, aged 28, Agricoltore, living in Frigento, who reported that today at 8 a.m. was born to his wife Rosaria Capobianco, daughter of deceased Michele, a female babe to be given the name Maria Giovanna. The babe was born at Contrada Mefitella and the house possibly belonged to Don Carmina Flaminio? - sorry not sure, will have a think or maybe someone else can help on this. The script is a bit of a challenge!

(I am sure that it says the babe was also presented that day? This always so amazes me that a little babe was taken from a warm, cozy, close environment out to the freezing cold in the middle of winter? I couldn't do it myself.)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:BIRTH RECORD NO 3 – MARIA GIOVANNA CIAMPI

Date of record – 2 January 1870 at 10 a.m.

Appearing (and presenting) is Giuseppe Ciampi, son of Gennaro, aged 28, Agricoltore, living in Frigento, who reported that today at 8 a.m. was born to his wife Rosaria Capobianco, daughter of deceased Michele, a female babe to be given the name Maria Giovanna. The babe was born at Contrada Mefitella and the house possibly belonged to Don Carmine Flammia - sorry not sure, will have a think or maybe someone else can help on this. The script is a bit of a challenge!

(I am sure that it says the babe was also presented that day? This always so amazes me that a little babe was taken from a warm, cozy, close environment out to the freezing cold in the middle of winter? I couldn't do it myself.)

Angela
Now that I've had a coffee and a little search I think the surname is more likely to be "Flammia".

It looks like this little girl sadly died three months later?:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... pi#p210667

Angela
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you, Angela. I actually had the death record on "hold" and was waiting for a match........

So when they "present" a child, they take it where?
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thank you, Angela. I actually had the death record on "hold" and was waiting for a match........

The presentation of the newborn was done at the town hall. Unless the infant was extremely ill or in danger of dying, lived at a very long distance from the town hall, such as in a frazione or hamlet on the outskirts of town, or the weather was so inclement which made the presentation of the infant dangerous to its well being, normally the infant was presented. There had to be extenuating circumstances for the infant to not be physically presented at the town hall. The records normally specify what those circumstances were.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thank you, Angela. I actually had the death record on "hold" and was waiting for a match........

You are very welcome. Yes I thought you might :)

Erudita, as always, has done a splendid job here answering your question about where the child was presented. When I first began reading birth records it took me a while to twig that the babe was actually physically presented at the Town Hall. It just never entered my mind that a new babe would be taken from his/her mum out into the cold to a Town Hall :? At the time I thought that it just meant they were "presenting" the information. I've learned, and continue to learn, so much here at IG.

Hope you are having a lovely day.

Angela :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

As usual, thank you both for the translations and lessons learned!
Grazie,

Dolores