Surname info in Italian

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
xstompemoutx

Surname info in Italian

Post by xstompemoutx »

Hello, my name is Matt and I need some help with translation from Italian. I used the Temple University library to look up information on my surname, Sanna, but the only book I could find is in Italian. If anyone could translate this for me I would appreciate it very much. I know it has something to do with Sardinia and big teeth.

SANNA: Cognome peculiare della Sardegna, diffuso con altissima frequenza spec. a Cagliari e nel Campidano e nel Sassarese, derivato da un antico nome e soprannome f. e m. (gia documentato nei <<Condaghi>> medioevali e rinascimentali: "donna Sanna de Monte", "Josef Ludovico Sanna Notario", ecc.), formato dal sardo sanna "zanna, dente grosso e sporgente", esteso a demonimare una persona dai denti anteriori molto sviluppati e sporgenti.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname info in Italian

Post by suanj »

Hi meaning: tipical surname of Sardinia, very diffused especially in Cagliari area and Campidano valley and Sassari area; coming from an ancient nickname, (already mentioned in CONDAGHI of middle age and of Rinascimento age: lady Sanna from Monte and josef Ludovico Sanna notary etc..) this surname coming from sardinia's dialectal word "sanna" meaning"zanna=BIG tooth",for to call an person with a large tooths... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
xstompemoutx

Post by xstompemoutx »

Thanks!

Hmmm... so my name means "big teeth"...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
leledayrell

Post by leledayrell »

Hello, I´m a member of Sanna´s family too, but I´m from Brazil.

If you wanna change informations, please e-mail me leledayrell@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you soon!