help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

help

Post by suanj »

Hi all: I ask an help from all members that can help me... from about 2 years I make an free search from an english friend, an very beautiful and difficult search about an italian emigrated in UK(Liverpool/Lancashire) and also living in Philadelphia/PA;
this italian had 2 names: Leonardo Corratto and Joseph Salla/Sala; with both names was in Phila;

-I have this ship's manifest of Haverford ship arrived in Phila port in March 6 1907, prt of departure Liverpool;
-well in this case the person use the name : Joseph Salla US citizen returning in Phila's home with grandson James Salla and with an girl Annie Muschamps, perhaps daughter of an friend, also from Liverpool that was emigrated in Phila;
this is the manifest's strip:
http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/168/ ... rch8iy.jpg

-Can someone help to read the right home address in Phila?
-Can someone help with an phila map and street area?
-Can someone help with some free database to search the naturalization record of Joseph Salla/Leonardo Corratto or similar spelling?
-In 1902 year this was the address in Phila:
Mr Leonard Curatto (or similar)
No. 1005 So 9th Street
Philadelphia
America

I hope that someone can help... best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: help

Post by mfjp »

Hi suanj, I too remember Corratto,

The address is 874 S 9th Street or 814 S 9th Street
-----------------------------------------------
874 S 9th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=87 ... utput=html
--------------------------------------
1005 S 9th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&outpu ... tnG=Search

The 874 address is NORTH of "CHRISTIAN STREET shown on map
The 1005 address is just SOUTH of CHRISTIAN STREET...

Same neighbourhood!

I would help further, but there is "uno guerra grando" here for the computers... :?

Maria
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Suanj,

Do you know the year of the naturalization from the US census?

Also, do you know if James registered for the World War 1 draft?
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:Hi suanj, I too remember Corratto,

The address is 874 S 9th Street or 814 S 9th Street
-----------------------------------------------
874 S 9th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=87 ... utput=html
--------------------------------------
1005 S 9th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&outpu ... tnG=Search

The 874 address is NORTH of "CHRISTIAN STREET shown on map
The 1005 address is just SOUTH of CHRISTIAN STREET...

Same neighbourhood!

I would help further, but there is "uno guerra grando" here for the computers... :?

Maria
Hi Maria thanks, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:Suanj,

Do you know the year of the naturalization from the US census?

Also, do you know if James registered for the World War 1 draft?

Hi Donna thanks!

I know not, I only know that Leonardo/Joseph was USA Civil war and had also an pension but I cannot find he...

perhaps he changed again the name.. was born in 1841 or 1844 this from some record, and I think that he had more wifes, sure 2 in Liverpool, because sure in Liverpool

pratically:

1. Leonardo Corratto aka Joseph Salla married to Angela Luke english in 1877( in an school church and declared itself widow, italian, son of Antonio mariner), but HE was already married with Philippa italian; from Philippa had this children:
1.1 James sr( Corratto or Salla surname) born in 1871 also travelled in Phila for some year with Margaret Clarke wife; from this marriage was borns this children in Liverpool:
1.1.1 Mary 1892 that in 1913 travelled to USA in Hammonton, NJ joining an uncle... no most leggible name: ship's manifest first page and second page
1- http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/2629 ... adijam.jpg
2-
http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/2973 ... dijam1.jpg
Mary was for some year in Hammonton and after again back in Liverpool
1.1.2 George Jr born and died infant in 1893
1.1.3 James jr born in 1895/6 in Liverpool, and for sometime lived in Phila with grandfather Joseph/Leonardo as ship's manifest, after back again in Liverpool and married in Liverpool the 29 Jan 1916 to Margaret Ann McGee(birth Liverpool 16 mar 1896)... so is no possible the registration WWI°...

1.2 George sr also emigrated in Phila also and changed the surname in Berry[/b]
1.3 perhaps Mary no further info
1.4 perhaps Rosy no further info

-Joseph/Leonardo result US citizenship and he made many travels Liverpool/Phila ....

The key for the italian correct surname spelling search is in Phila.. from house.. from some directory.... from passport... from naturalization.. from pension... but I cannot find it....
many thanks again, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi maria, already from some month an idea born in my mind... because this Leonardo was very strange person and already 2 times married(!) in UK, well my idea is that also in USA was possible that married another time... and in this months that I found was an CORRADO Leonardo born abt 1851 and living with Teresa wife.. immigration 1880/1... well the strange thing is that this CORRADO LEONARDO lived in 1022 Carpenter street very near 1005 S 9th St................!!!!!!!!!! and because My Leonardo changed home 2 times in 1907( an address) and in 1912 another address, could be the same person... because really, this is the ONLY Leonardo Corratto similar spelling living in Phila in this time and in this area... could be he? your suggestions? suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

suanj,
Have you considered this fellow in the 1910 census? He is the right age. He immigrated in 1906. But his wife of many years is Caterina. If this is your fellow, he was not yet naturalized.

SALLA, JOSEPH (1910 U.S. Census)
PA, PHILADELPHIA,
26-WD PHILADELPHIA,
Race: W,
Born: ITAL,
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Donna, many thanks for your kind attention!
Very appreciate!
Yes.. I have, and living with Angelina grand daughter... but the 26 Ward is no 2 Ward of addresses that I have.. today I see all census, page for page of 2 Ward, and I found(already I know this) only Leonardo Corrado.. the inetersting thing is that very near was an Calla family nobody Salla... from some month I think that this Leonardo no truth said about the birthplace (memories of family: Genova, but in Genova city hall.. the reply me was negative..) and also from life's behavior I think that most probable was an man of south.... this is the only Leonardo in 2 Ward: Corrado Leonardo (in fact Corratto not exist in Italy) and Teresa wife immigrated in 1880/1 (from various censuses) and no record abt italian port... we think ( I and paul descendant) that Salla/Callà was the surname of Philippa second wife... ; in effect Leonardo and Filippa are first names tically of south Italy ( Calabria and Sicily) ..no more record about Angela Luke wife... only the marriage record... also I remember an old member of this forum, from liverpool that said me that in Liverpool, in year interested, from an search in library, was only CORRADI( could be also Corrado) italian surname... I know no.. sure is very strange story!!
Thanks again, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

suanj,

You are looking for a very interesting fellow, indeed.

I have an old book. It's title is, "Lincoln's Foreign Legion: The 39th New York Infantry, The Garibaldi Guard." In this book are lists of the many foreign men who came to America to fight with Garibaldi in our Civil War. I looked through the lists for your Leonardo/Joseph but I did not find him. I did find a fellow named Antonio Cella. He was Italian, age 25 and suffered a disability during the war. Perhaps a relative.
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Donna, this info is interesting...
Today hi manually searched about 3 Phila wards, where is 9th street parts, and again zero result only the results that I already know.. I wish to continue and I hope to find otherwise Leonardo CORRADO that I found is the only probable record... many thanks again, kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

suanj,
I went to the library today and searched in Ancestry.com for Leonardo/Joseph. I looked for his Civil War record. I searched for all men with the given name "Leonardo". There was no record with his exact name. There following record from California was the only record that was close:

Name: Leonardo Guirado
Company: D
Unit: 1 Batt'n Cal. Native Cav.
Rank at induction: Private
Rank at discharge: Corporal
Allegiance: Union
Notes: Guyirado, Leandro
Widow: Petra Guirado
State filed: California

Sorry, I was hoping to find him.
Donna Pellegrin
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I too have been looking for something.. not sure what... this is complicated to understand...

What I need to do is sketch all this out on paper...

While looking for a manifest, I noticed a Leonardo Corrado b1852 ... the passenger above his name was either a Rosso or Russo... (Ancestry.com is making these images smaller and smaller...?? :? )

I then stumbled onto this census record...

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9452/terro1910a0lg.jpg

See Theresa Rosso, widow... , her children have the Marcella surname, and the others are Carratto...

Well it amounts to nothing... just wanted suanj to know that I too looked...

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:suanj,
I went to the library today and searched in Ancestry.com for Leonardo/Joseph. I looked for his Civil War record. I searched for all men with the given name "Leonardo". There was no record with his exact name. There following record from California was the only record that was close:

Name: Leonardo Guirado
Company: D
Unit: 1 Batt'n Cal. Native Cav.
Rank at induction: Private
Rank at discharge: Corporal
Allegiance: Union
Notes: Guyirado, Leandro
Widow: Petra Guirado
State filed: California

Sorry, I was hoping to find him.
Hi Donna many thanks, but this cannot be he, because the our Leonardo was in life sure until 1912, but here are an Petra widow... but is an suggestions very interesting about the surname.. as italian GIURATO....many thanks again, your help is for me much precious.. many thanks, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

suanj,
Ancestry.com also shows the death record of a certain Philippa Salla.

Philippa Salla
death record
age at death: 60
date of death: December 1891
Place of death: Liverpool
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page 10

James Salla is listed in the 1901 England census but there is no useful information there.
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:I too have been looking for something.. not sure what... this is complicated to understand...

What I need to do is sketch all this out on paper...

While looking for a manifest, I noticed a Leonardo Corrado b1852 ... the passenger above his name was either a Rosso or Russo... (Ancestry.com is making these images smaller and smaller...?? :? )

I then stumbled onto this census record...

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9452/terro1910a0lg.jpg

See Theresa Rosso, widow... , her children have the Marcella surname, and the others are Carratto...

Well it amounts to nothing... just wanted suanj to know that I too looked...

mfjp
Dear Maria many thanks!! also this on census cannot be our Leonardo's wife.. really as we say in Italy is an "Primula rossa( red daisy)" as the unattainable protagonist of a famous novel.... this Leonardo Corrado born abt 1851/2 I think that is the same that was :

Name: Leonardo Currado
Home in 1900: Philadelphia Ward 2, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-address: 916 S 16th St

Estimated birth year: 1851
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Head , married to Teresa, and Theresa declared that had 3 children.. I cannot find it.
-------------------------------------
Name: Leonardo Corrado

Estimated birth year: abt 1855
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 2, Philadelphia, : address 1022 Carpenter street very near the SO 9th street
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1880 (I think 1882 sept-archimede ship)
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy

---------------------------------
Name: Lenardo Corrado widow

Estimated birth year: abt 1850
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Home in 1930: Philadelphia, Philadelphia,1022 Carpenter street very near the SO 9th street
Pennsylvania
------------------------------------

I think that this is the Leonardo searched... I see many and many times the census for months and months... from addresses that i have on ship's manifest 1907 and from envelope of 1912, are in 2 ward in Phila..... but could be also an address helpful for Leonardo that it maintained the contacts with UK family, secretly of USA family....

I think that this is the only Leonardo with very very similar surname also if the birthyear is no just,( but from documents, this was usual for Leonardo to declare no exact birthyear,)with another family, also naturalized, and the first surname in the Archimede 1882 ship's manifest is an Fusco... and most probably he went in UK and in USA for many times...
that strange destiny...
I hope to find more, because I wish the truth, many thanks Maria, your apport is very important for me... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH