NERO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SassyCQ

NERO

Post by SassyCQ »

I am looking for any information on Frank and Angelena(?) Nero and a Grandmother maybe Anna Vendeto. One census says Vendeto and the other says Morano.

They immigrated to this country between 1890 and 1910. They lived in Elk County, Jay Township, Pennsylvania and are on the 1900 thru 1930 census. They had five children Joseph, Mary,Louis, Anna, and Tony.
Tony was my father and died when I was 2 so I know little about him. I do have his birth and death certificates but it gives little. I think Frank may be burried in Force, Penna but I have exhaused my knowledge of how to check. I have gone as far as the immigration records but I can find nothing in Ellis Island. My other sisters in PA and not interested. Any information on how to find this info, from where they came would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks CQ
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: NERO

Post by suanj »

Hi Frank Nero in 1930 Census
Name: Frank Nero
Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Race: White
Home in 1930: Jay, Elk, Pennsylvania

well, was widow and was immigrated in 1900 .... normally the immigration year in the USA censuses, are + or - precise.. so an Francesco NERO born in 1871 but emigrated in 1901 with Michele brother, coming from Casal...(seems Casalvieri... near Fondi...)....

in 1910 census are:
Frank Nero 39 W Italy Elk Head of Household Relation Name Age Birth Place
Wife Angelena 36 Italy
Son Joseph 15 Italy
Daughter Mary 09 Italy
Son Louis 01 Pennsylvania
Daughter Anna NR Pennsylvania
Mother-in-law Anna Vendeto 65 Italy
1 non-relative

the mother in law surname could be Venditti or Venditto; about marano, we cannot know if is Anna Ven.... nee Marano or viceversa...

1920 census:

Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Home in 1920: Jay, Elk, Pennsylvania
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1900
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 857

in 1900 census:
AN Frank NERO born in Feb 1870, Italy, male married from 4 years, imm. 1897, neighbors: Pasquale NERO ...........

Home in 1900: Wilkinsburg Ward 3, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: 1870
Relationship to head-of-house: Boarder
Immigration year: 1897

hoping helpful, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

CQ and Suanj......

Both the names Niro and Venditti are found in Casacalenda...any chance that these are the correct names rather then Nero and Vendeto?
I will check out your listings, Suanj. If it is Casacalenda, I have all the birth records and more on permanent loan........I can find out more info.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Found this:

www.ellisisland.org

Well, they did not come from Casacalenda......

But nearby....Vinchiaturo in Campobasso:

Arriving on Aug. 1, 1907 out of port of Naples on the ship, Koenig Albert into Ellis Island

Angelantonia Marano, age 33
Giuseppe Niro, age 11
Maria Teresa Niro, age 6
All left the father-in-law/grandfather, Giuseppe Niro in Vinchiatura on the way to Weadville, Pa to father Francesco Niro.

The records of this town should be availble to rent on microfilm at the Family History Library branch nearest to you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi essgee... I cannot know... Niro and Nero are two surnames very similar... waiting the suggestions of SassyCQ.. many regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Essgee wrote:Found this:

www.ellisisland.org

Well, they did not come from Casacalenda......

But nearby....Vinchiaturo in Campobasso:

Arriving on Aug. 1, 1907 out of port of Naples on the ship, Koenig Albert into Ellis Island

Angelantonia Marano, age 33
Giuseppe Niro, age 11
Maria Teresa Niro, age 6
All left the father-in-law/grandfather, Giuseppe Niro in Vinchiatura on the way to Weadville, Pa to father Francesco Niro.

The records of this town should be availble to rent on microfilm at the Family History Library branch nearest to you.
Hi EssGee, nice find... feeding off your information, I found another record, but from 1906...

Looks like Angelantonia, is travelling with her father in law Giuseppe... Children listed are Maria Teresa age 6, and Giuseppe age 11

First Name: Angelantonia
Last Name: Marano
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Vinchiaturo
Date of Arrival: Nov 30, 1906
Age at Arrival:  22 (that's what it says!)  
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0027
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2333050820

On line 30, a Giuseppe Niro (age??) widow, who's son is Francesco Niro... Weadville, PA

mfjp

further....

Here is the link to the manifest Essgee mentioned earlier on... (I couldn't link to it) see below...

First Name: Agelantonia
Last Name: Marano
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Vinchiatuso, Campobasso
Date of Arrival: Aug 01, 1907
Age at Arrival:  33y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Manifest Line Number: 0001

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0105%2ETIF

Angelantonia's closest living relative in Italy is F-i-Law Giuseppe Nero
-----------------------------------

So it seems like Giuseppe may have made a couple of trips...

In 1906 he was in the USA as a widow... and in 1907 back in Italy..
-----------------------
mfjp
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi........

Does it appear that in the 1906 listing, the names are crossed out....or actually crossed under...like they did not make the trip?

But there is important data here...telling you that Giuseppe was born in Baranello, which is near Vinchiaturo. So it is possible that Francesco may have come from either town....something to consider when looking for records.

Thanks mfjp.....great find!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Essgee wrote:Hi........

Does it appear that in the 1906 listing, the names are crossed out....or actually crossed under...like they did not make the trip?

But there is important data here...telling you that Giuseppe was born in Baranello, which is near Vinchiaturo. So it is possible that Francesco may have come from either town....something to consider when looking for records.

Thanks mfjp.....great find!
You are right about those lines... :idea: I somehow have learned to ignore them and just read what's under there...

But now... again - feeding off what you've wondered.... "did they make the trip..." will have me looking for a detained passenger record ... that should be interesting... it should be there if there was a problem of some kind..

Thanks for pointing that out... :P
mfjp (and truly hoping that this is the right family) :oops:
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Again... housework and manifests... what a life!

Looked through 3 sheets of detained passengers... (doesn't seem like many) but the condition of these pages is really poor - ripped up and shredded. The left side of the sheets do not even show up...(passenger names)... what does show up here and there... is the place of birth... and I did not see the 2 towns mentioned...

Some passenger lists have a tally of the passengers who were allowed in the USA (at the bottom of the sheet).... this one doesn't....

Sometimes when something like this happens (did not sail)... you might find another record close to the same date but on a different ship? But 9 months later?... and with no Giuseppe... who knows, maybe another record does exist... haven't checked that out yet.

This one manifest does seem to show that they did not sail... but luckily it gave us some info to work with...
:P
mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

SassyCQ wrote:I am looking for any information on Frank and Angelena(?) Nero and a Grandmother maybe Anna Vendeto. One census says Vendeto and the other says Morano.

They immigrated to this country between 1890 and 1910. They lived in Elk County, Jay Township, Pennsylvania and are on the 1900 thru 1930 census. They had five children Joseph, Mary,Louis, Anna, and Tony.
Tony was my father and died when I was 2 so I know little about him. I do have his birth and death certificates but it gives little. I think Frank may be burried in Force, Penna but I have exhaused my knowledge of how to check. I have gone as far as the immigration records but I can find nothing in Ellis Island. My other sisters in PA and not interested. Any information on how to find this info, from where they came would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks CQ
CQ, see this ship's manifest.... of Fr.co(Francesco) NERO

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 4919090391

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi suanj,
There should be another manifest for Fr'co's journey somewhere!
---------------
Detained Record
First Name: Fr'co Last Name: Nero Ethnicity: Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Jun 13, 1901
Age at Arrival:      Gender:  M    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Isola Di Levanzo
Manifest Line Number: 0061 (Group F- page #? 26) travels alone...

mfjp
SassyCQ

Post by SassyCQ »

Ya All are true Masters. I am so much in your debt. I have been searching the libraries. Ship's manifests and everthing else I can get my hands on. I am legally blind so this makes things a little harder I have to bring what I find home from the libraries and put it under magnification.

Here is what I have been able to piece together so far and your info confirms it.

Frank came over in 1900. there is a Paqrioli Nero and a Polica Nero on the same census. The census say there were collected by special Enuminator, which probably means an italian translator.

The coal mining owners in pennsylvania at that time wanted italians and polish immigrants to work in the mines. They normally had to be sponsored. This is where Giuseppe may have came in as the mines used immigrants to go to Italy to get workers.

As far as I can tell Frank came here in 1900, worked the mines for 7 years, bought a house then brought his family over. This would also explain why there is 8 years difference in age between Mary and Louis. Italians are known for big families LOL. I follow them till the 1930 census when it shows Frank as a widow.

St Joseph's church in Force Penna got back to me today and they have agreed to look for the graves there for me. They did live in the Weedville area.

So can you guide me as to what I do next...

Gosh.........SO EXCITED not sure what to do...really didn't think I'd get this far....THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

CQ
SassyCQ

Post by SassyCQ »

I received my Father's birth certificate today and boy did I get a surprise. I always knew him by Anthony Joseph Nero. Well certificate says:

Pennsylvania birth certificate by the way
date of birth; 11-06-1911
County of Birth Elk
Date Filed 12-11-1911
Name Tony Nero
sex male
father Frank Nero birthplace italy age 41
Mother's Maiden Name Angeli Magalini age 38
birthplace Italy

Now I have the names...morana vendeto and Magalini for maden names

Still working on a death certificate for her but gosh...was the recording of people that bad back then

Thanks CQ
SassyCQ

Post by SassyCQ »

I have been checking daily to replies. I can only read so much because of my eyes. Can someone please give me a suggestion on who I should get in Italy to get the records there I need?

Thanks CQ
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, personally the right record of ship's manifest , as already posted here, is this:
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2333050821

Angelantonia Marano, with Giuseppe NIRO son and Maria Teresa NIRO daughter, joining to Francesco NIRO husband.. the age of Angelantonia could be 33 and not 23 as on ship's manifest, the ages of children are + or - right with 1920 census, and coming from Vinchiaturo...

also in
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record
Name: Joe Nero
City: Not Stated
County: Elk
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 26 Jul 1895
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1877951
DraftBoard: 0
coming from Vinchiaturo...
you can send an request comune @ comune.vinchiaturo.cb.it (no spaces) and to ask the records.. if this Joe is the truth Giuseppe Niro son of Francesco and Angelina or Angelantonia, you have the birthdate already and the searchin the birthregistry is easy... and also are on familysearch LDS:

Angela or Anna Marano
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: About 1874 Of, Vinchiaturo, Campobasso, Italy

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Pietro Marano About 1845 Of, Vinchiaturo, Campobasso, Italy
Mother: Cristina Venditto About 1850 Of, Vinchiaturo, Campobasso, Italy

-------------------
your suggestions...? suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH