Chances of dual citizenship lost?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mmet67
Rookie
Rookie

Chances of dual citizenship lost?

Post by mmet67 »

Hello. I would like to try to obtain my Italian citizenship from these lines... grandfather, father, me. I know I qualify for it as my grandfather was born in Collepietro and didn't get naturalized until 1925... 2 years AFTER my dad was born.

What I am worried about and it might stop me from reaching this goal is my grandfather was born Pasquale Di Scipio. On his naturalization papers, his name is listed as Patsy D. Scipio (I know that Patsy is a shortened form of Pasquale). His name is listed like that on his death certificate, too. And his father (my great grandfather) is listed as Domenico D. Scipio on my grandfather's death record. My father's birth and death record shows Scipio listed as the last name as well for him, my father, and also my grandfather.

Also, I am having an extremely hard time getting the legal copy of my grandfather's naturalization along with the legal copies of the birth records from Italy for my grandfather and grandmother.

Do you think this will be a problem? I really do not want to try to go through the courts and have the names on the records legally changed.
lydiatheys

Re: Chances of dual citizenship lost?

Post by lydiatheys »

At which consulate will you be applying? Some are more strict than others. NY is reputedly one of the strictest.
Lydia
Towns: Scala Coeli in Cosenza, Crucoli in Crotone, Macchia Albanese and San Demetrio Corone in Cosenza, possibly Zagarese
Fazio, Amato, Leguori (Liguore), Merenda, Madera
mmet67
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmet67 »

I will be applying at the one in Pennsylvania.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

What do you mean by the "legal copy" of your GF's naturalization papers? What do you have now for the naturalization? Have you tried USCIS and NARA?

So the family's name changed from Di Scipio to D. Scipio to Scipio?

On any of his documents, such as his petition for naturalization, is his name given as both Pasquale and Patsy?

The first name doesn't sound bad, as Philly is OK with anglicizations. It's harder to say offhand with the surname. It could be OK. It would be best to check the ConsulateFAQs on the Italian Citizenship Message Board. If you don't have any date of birth discrepancies you will be a lot less likely to have to get a court order.

Have you tried just amending his death cert? Ideally, amend it to say, "Pasquale Di Scipio aka Patsy Scipio." That would probably clear up the potential problem.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

A few words of encouragement. Don't give up. If you want it bad enough you will get it. From what I understand I am the first person or one of the first in NYC to actually find an appropriate and legitimate route to getting people declared one in the same by a judge. That may be presumptuous but it was what I was told by the judge. I also was told my GGF birth certificate was destroyed and then the commune found it by harassing them. Dates will be screwed up names will be equally as bad but after the hard work is done you will get it.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

p.s lawyers were no use here in the U.S and an utter waste of money. Paid for consolation to be told its not possible
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmb44 »

Here in California it is not that difficult to get records corrected. Depending on the correction, It involves a court filling but in most cases doesn't require an attorney.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Federal documents are the tricky part. It won't matter what state you are in. a local court has no power to correct a naturalization certificate etc
jmb44
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmb44 »

Yes, I was referring to amending the death certificate, as was suggested above.