1903 Passenger Manifest - Mule' / Mosca

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

This is taken from a ship's passenger manifest when my great-great grandfather (Angelo Mule') & great-great grandmother (Rosina Mosca) emigrated from Villalba to the United States in 1903. While I don't need any translation help with this document, I figured I would put it in front of some eyes that are more familiar with Italian surnames then I am.

The person in question is their daughter Nancy, who is listed here as Nunzia. Family history has it that Nancy was an illegitimate daughter that Angelo's had before he married Rosina. When he married Rosina, he took his daughter and his wife and left Villalba.

What I am hoping to get out of this document is Nunzia's original surname before becoming Nancy Mulé in America.

The family group is listed as:
6. Mulé, Angelo (laborer)
7. Mosca, Rosina (wife)
8. ??????????, Nunzia (adopted / child)

Any thoughts or guesses would be welcome, and I can check them against the birth records in Villalba for 1900/1901 to see if there is a match.

-Thomas
Attachments
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: 1903 Passenger Manifest - Mule' / Mosca

Post by erudita74 »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244559501

Here's their marriage record from Aug 1896. I am on my way out, so possibly someone else will help you with the translation.

also Sal's marriage record is image 114 of 554 in 1892 and Giovanni's is #1 in 1902.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

about the adopted child Nunzia on the passenger list

Thomas
I have not had any luck tracking down a birth record for her. Seeing her on a passenger list this way reminds me about seeing my grandfather's youngest brother on a passenger list traveling with his mother and several of his other siblings. My grandfather, his father, and an older sister were already in the U.S. at the time. The "adopted" brother was several lines below the mother, etc, on the manifest and he had a different surname, but his destination was to his "adopted" father, who was my grandfather's father. I have never found a birth record for him in my grandfather's Sicilian town in Agrigento Province. In this country, the brother used the family surname. There was no one in the town with the surname he had on the passenger list. Family story was that he was a young boy of age 7 who was roaming the streets and my great grandfather took him in. In your case,you are saying that Angelo is the father of this Nunzia. I searched for Angelo's marriage record in the hope that there would be some kind of notation about the daughter handwritten on it somewhere, but no such luck. So I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you had luck tracking down a birth record for her. I don't see the surname which appears on the passenger list anywhere in the birth indices-nothing even close in spelling. I'm not really sure what the correct spelling is.

As to Angelo and Rosa's marriage record, it is dated Aug 22, 1896. Angelo Mule' was age 25 and had never before been married. He was a crivellatore (see below for an explanation of this occupation). He was born and resident in Villalba. He was the son of deceased Placido who had been a town resident when he was alive and also the son of Maria Grazia Guccione, a town resident.The bride-Rosa Mosa, age 20, also had never before been married. She was he daughter of Vito Mosca and Vincenza Capizzi. Witnesses were Giuseppe Pantaleone, age 39, and Vincenzo Scarlata, age 56. Marriage publications (banns of marriage) were on the 2nd and 9th of Aug. The record was signed by the groom and the witnesses. The bride did not know how to write and did not sign.

*the crivellatore or crivellaio used a sieve or strainer in various industries, not just in mining or at construction sites. They worked in agriculture, in the wine industry, as well as with threads. So we have crivellatori di grano, di cereali, di industria vinicola, di cave (mine), di ghiaia (gravel pits). In the thread industry, they used sieves or strainers to divide threads of the cocoons since those could vary in thickness. Synonyms for the word crivellatori (plural) are garbellatori and settacciatori. If you search the word crivello in wikipedia, you will even see a photo of a young girl with this sieve-like instrument. In one Italian dictionary I found online, the word crivellatore refers to the maker of such sieves or strainers.

Erudita
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Erudita -

That is all great information about Rosa and Angelo's wedding, and Angelo's profession at the time.

As for Nunzia, I think we can stand down on that mystery for now. She is not a direct ancestor of mine, I was just hopeful that I had found a good lead with her name in the manifest that fit with the story I had been told. Also, with the facts that we have now, they undermine the one story my grandmother thought she knew about her grandfather's life in Italy.

I think I am going to spend this evening recording and citing all the facts that have come to light in the past two days to see what records to focus on next.

Thanks again.

-Thomas
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thomas
You have a lot of info to sort out. When you're ready, I'll help you with the translations of Giovanni and Salvatore's marriage records, assuming you want that info. Interesting is that Sal's wife was a Maria Fruscione and Giovanni's mother-in-law was a Michela Fruscione.
Erudita
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Funny to see the Fruscione name surface again.

I will definitely want to take a look at Sal's marriage record in the future. I have from other sources (obits & census) that his wife was Philomena Vitella and they were married in 1897. I'll need to figure out what happened to Maria Fruscione between 1892 and 1897.

Still sorting out all the info I already have. I'll post a new request when I am ready for more translations.

-Thomas
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thomas
I don't see a death record in Villalba for Maria Fruscione between 1892 and 1897. Also, I found her 1873 birth record. She was born on May 13, 1873-her parents were Salvatore Fruscione, the son of Santo, age 32, and her mother was Giuseppa Vizzini, dau of dec Giuseppe, age 26. In the margins of many of these birth records, there is death info, but her record doesn't have any such info.
Erudita

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244656801

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244656801
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

I just found that Sal and Maria Fruscione (and Mule' children older then their marriage) left Villalba for the US in 1893. I also know that he married Philomena Vitella in 1897, so it appears that Maria may have died in the US in the years right after arriving.

So much to sort out. Very exciting.

-Thomas
Attachments
1893 Passenger Manifest - Mule' / Fruscione
1893 Passenger Manifest - Mule' / Fruscione
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thomas
I was just looking at the same info on the Ellis Island website. So, if she died by 1897, it would have been in the U.S. Glad you saw the original passenger list.
Erudita