1883 Atti di Morte - Rosa Ferrara

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

1883 Atti di Morte - Rosa Ferrara

Post by malsbury »

So it appears that Rosa Ferrara died earlier the same year as her husband Sebastiano Capizzi in 1883.

Here is a link to the image of her death notice (#18):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 244347901v

Similar to her husband's record, it appears that Filippo Mosca (her in-law) was a witness to her death.

Again, any help with translating the details and people mentioned in this record would be a great help to my family research.

Thanks.

-Thomas
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: 1883 Atti di Morte - Rosa Ferrara

Post by Tessa78 »

malsbury wrote:So it appears that Rosa Ferrara died earlier the same year as her husband Sebastiano Capizzi in 1883.

Here is a link to the image of her death notice (#18):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 244347901v

Similar to her husband's record, it appears that Filippo Mosca (her in-law) was a witness to her death.

Again, any help with translating the details and people mentioned in this record would be a great help to my family research.

Thanks.

-Thomas
Witnesses on the death record are only witnessing the recording of the act of death into the register.
Declarants on the death record are only declaring that the person is deceased, and MAY have been a witness to the death.

Rosa Ferrara's death act...
Dated 16 February 1883 at 10:20 AM at the town office in Villalba
Before the official appeared Rosario Barone, 62, mason residing in Villalba; and Salvatore Minichi, 27, gravedigger(?), to declare that at 1:30 PM yesterday, at the place at Via Grande, no number, died Rosa Ferrara, age 70, seamstress residing in Villalba, born in Villalba to deceased Antonino, and deceased Giuseppa San Marcho, both residing in Villalba in their lifetimes; widow of deceased Giuseppe Grazia.
Witnesses to the recording of this act, Filippo Mosca, 62, mason ; and Sebastiano Russo, 56, servant.

T.
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Thanks for the information.

I'm now wondering if this is another Rosa Ferrara that was living in Villalba at the same time since they mention she is the widow of Giuseppe Grazia and there is no mention of the Sebastiano Capizzi I was expecting to find.

-Thomas
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

That is exactly right! There are many with the same names within a town due to naming traditions and devotion to certain saints (naming children after a favorite saint).

T.
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Wow. This afternoon has been quite the learning experience. The other key point is not to quickly write down the four names of the people you want to scan the indexes for during you lunch break while running out the door in the morning.

I wanted to look for Filippo Mosca & Rosa Pignato and Sebastiano Capizzi & ANGELA Ferrara

Somehow wrote down Rosa for both women's first name. At least I have just been scanning for surnames and keeping a list of anyone that matches and logging their record number in case I need to circle back to them in the future.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

malsbury wrote:Wow. This afternoon has been quite the learning experience. The other key point is not to quickly write down the four names of the people you want to scan the indexes for during you lunch break while running out the door in the morning.

I wanted to look for Filippo Mosca & Rosa Pignato and Sebastiano Capizzi & ANGELA Ferrara

Somehow wrote down Rosa for both women's first name. At least I have just been scanning for surnames and keeping a list of anyone that matches and logging their record number in case I need to circle back to them in the future.
Good way to gather possible "hits" :D

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a POSSIBLE death act for Angela Ferrara

Dated 27 March 1907 in Villalba
At 2 AM this day died, at Via Vacca #35,
Angela Ferrara, age 70, housewife residing in Villalba
Daughter of deceased Vincenzo Antonio, and of Orsola Pentavecchio
Widow of Sebastiano Capizzi

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

Also found death act of Filippo Mosca in 1907

11 August 1907 in Villalba
At 3 PM yesterday (10th) at Via Nuova #49,
Died Filippo Mosca, age 85, mason residing in Villalba
Son of deceased Benedetto, and of deceased Maria Sinatra
Husband of (living) Rosa Pignato.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 7.jpg.html

Death act of Vincenza Capizzi in 1907

Dated 14 October 1907
At 2 AM today, at Via Nuova #88
Died Vincenza Capizzi, age 60, housewife residing in Villalba
Daughter of deceased Sebastiano Capizzi, and of deceased Angela Ferrara
Wife of Vito Mosca

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html

T.
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Wow, I've just been stumbling my way through the FamilySearch archive looking for each year's index. Are you just really quick at scanning indexes (I now see they are much easier to find and read on the san.beniculturali.it site) or is there a compiled decade index anywhere I should be checking?

The three records you found from 1907 all look promising, but the only thing that initially jumps out at me is that the Angela Ferrara listed in #15 is only 10 years older than Vincenza #70. I know ages are somewhat fluid in these records, and that death records are sometimes the least reliable, so I'll keep an open mind and look for some other verification of Angela's true age. The age of Vincenza seems accurate based on her age reported at her marriage. I had estimated a birth year of 1847.

Thanks once again.

-Thomas
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

malsbury wrote:Wow, I've just been stumbling my way through the FamilySearch archive looking for each year's index. Are you just really quick at scanning indexes (I now see they are much easier to find and read on the san.beniculturali.it site) or is there a compiled decade index anywhere I should be checking? Just quick due to MUCH practice :-)

The three records you found from 1907 all look promising, but the only thing that initially jumps out at me is that the Angela Ferrara listed in #15 is only 10 years older than Vincenza #70. I know ages are somewhat fluid in these records YES, and that death records are sometimes the least reliable, so I'll keep an open mind YES and look for some other verification of Angela's true age. The age of Vincenza seems accurate based on her age reported at her marriage. I had estimated a birth year of 1847.

Thanks once again.

-Thomas
Happy to help! :-)

T.
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

It is so much easier looking at the jpgs of the books rather than the digital scans of the microfilms on FamilySearch.

I think I just found the death notice of Rosa Pignato, widow of Filippo Mosca, in 1914 #41:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

I read that her father was Salvatore Pignato and her mother was Grazia Mistretta (both deceased, both formerly of Villalba)

Can you please verify that, and help with the dates, ages and other details?

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

-Thomas
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Date of death: 19 July 1914, Rosa was 94 years old, housewife.
malsbury
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malsbury »

Tessa78 wrote:Here is a POSSIBLE death act for Angela Ferrara

Dated 27 March 1907 in Villalba
At 2 AM this day died, at Via Vacca #35,
Angela Ferrara, age 70, housewife residing in Villalba
Daughter of deceased Vincenzo Antonio, and of Orsola Pentavecchio
Widow of Sebastiano Capizzi

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html
Would anyone be willing to take another look at the translation of Angela's mother's maiden name?

In looking through the record, I can't see were the "t" in Pentavecchio is coming from. I am basing this on the clear t's that can be seen in "Vincenzo Antonio" and "Sebastiano Capizzi". I see it more as Pennavecchio or Pemavecchio, but neither of those seem like a common surname.

Any other thoughts on a possible translation?

Thanks.

-Thomas
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thomas

I see Pensavecchio, which is a surname found in Palermo. The fourth letter looks like the s in sette to me.

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:Thomas

I see Pensavecchio, which is a surname found in Palermo. The fourth letter looks like the s in sette to me.

Erudita
I agree! :-D

It was a late night, and I was posting many records...
Glad you noticed this.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi T,
I only looked at the record earlier because Thomas questioned the letter t in the surname. Glad we agree that the letter is an s and on the spelling of the surname in the record.
Erudita