Archives in Naples - Translation Help Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mbakeroo
Rookie
Rookie

Archives in Naples - Translation Help Please

Post by mbakeroo »

I received this very prompt reply from the Naples Archive with regard to Passports. Can someone please translate for me? I am hoping it tells me how to actually request copies of these records, thank you in advance:

Gentile Signora,
Nel fondo Questura di Napoli, II serie, Archivio Generale, sottoserie Passaporti abbiamo identificato il nome delle persone in oggetto.
Le indichiamo la segnatura archivistica puntuale per l'eventuale richiesta o fotoriproduzione del materiale.

Unità archivistica
titolo e estremi cronologici
Teano Maria di Pasquale. , 1892
segnatura
busta 3348
fascicolo 21

Unità archivistica
Odierna Raffaele fu Antonio , 1889
segnatura
busta 3225
fascicolo 14

cordiali saluti
dott. Ferdinando Salemme
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Archives in Naples - Translation Help Please

Post by erudita74 »

mbakeroo wrote:I received this very prompt reply from the Naples Archive with regard to Passports. Can someone please translate for me? I am hoping it tells me how to actually request copies of these records, thank you in advance:

Gentile Signora,
Nel fondo Questura di Napoli, II serie, Archivio Generale, sottoserie Passaporti abbiamo identificato il nome delle persone in oggetto.
Le indichiamo la segnatura archivistica puntuale per l'eventuale richiesta o fotoriproduzione del materiale.

Unità archivistica
segnatura
busta 3348
fascicolo 21

Unità archivistica
segnatura
busta 3225
fascicolo 14

cordiali saluti
dott. Ferdinando Salemme
FYI-passports (1888 -1901) are stored in the Section Questura del Archivio di Stato di Napoli, Series II, General Archive under the subseries Passports-(except for the dates, this is referred to in his response, which you probably already know)-

Basically they have identified the names of the persons concerned. It then says "we are indicating to you the archival shelf mark for the eventual request or photo reproduction of the material." So the numbers they gave you is for the archivist to locate the records. It sounds to me that you now have to put in another request using the above information for each individual." This is the only info given to you in the response. There is nothing about cost or any other address for the request.

Erudita
mbakeroo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mbakeroo »

Thank you! Would anyone be able to give me the translation for the below (or something like it) so I can respond to this email and request the documents?

"Thank you for the information. Can you please tell me how I can get copies of these documents?"

Maria
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

mbakeroo wrote:Thank you! Would anyone be able to give me the translation for the below (or something like it) so I can respond to this email and request the documents?

"Thank you for the information. Can you please tell me how I can get copies of these documents?"

Maria
You're welcome, Maria. I'm hoping another volunteer on the forum will know how you can obtain the copies now that you have the location of the material. Sorry, but I don't know.
Erudita
mbakeroo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mbakeroo »

Well I have tried repeatedly to find an avenue to request this specific record that the archivist was so nice to tell me EXACTLY where to find:

Police headquarters in Naples, General Archive series Passports, envelope 3225, file 14

With NO luck . . . I just don't know where to turn at this point to get this Passport Application, anyone have ANY ideas?

TIA, Maria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Try adapting a form letter in Italian (you do not say what occurred) and try again in requesting documents/records by using the form letter in www.circolocalabrese.org (click genealogy). Peter
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You may write the following letter:

Egregio Dott. Ferdinando Salemme,
la ringrazio per le informazioni inviatemi e la prego di farmi avere fotocopia dei seguenti documenti:

Unità archivistica
segnatura
busta 3348
fascicolo 21

Unità archivistica
segnatura
busta 3225
fascicolo 14