Russo/Pittari marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Russo/Pittari marriage

Post by PurrfectMeow »

I think this might be a marriage record for my ancestors Antonio Pittari and Giuseppa Russo. Very hard to read. And the first name of the bride looks different then on daughters birth record (doesn't look like a G to me, but I'm no expert at reading old cursive. ):

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

This is the birth record of their daughter Nunziata Pittari (my great great grandmother): http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Do I have the correct marriage record? and if so some help translating it please.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Russo/Pittari marriage

Post by paola52 »

I don’t think we are dealing with the same couple
1856 March 5 birth of Nunziata Pittari, daughter of Antonino (50) and Giuseppa Russo (45)
1851 October 2 marriage of Antonino Pittarino (35) and Rosaria Russo (25)
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

Well, thats unfortunate, I've looked through a lot of records trying to find their marriage, that is the closest I've found so far. Thanks for looking.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The solemn promise was dated Oct 2nd, but the church marriage was on Nov 2nd. I agree with Paola, however, that the individuals in the two records appear to be different people.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PurrfectMeow wrote:Well, thats unfortunate, I've looked through a lot of records trying to find their marriage, that is the closest I've found so far. Thanks for looking.
Hi
If you let me know which years you have already looked at for Antonino and Giuseppa's marriage record I'll help you look later. I've had a quick look earlier at the indices for the years 1840-1843 inclusive – 1843 was soiled – but nothing there. One thing to note is that both Antonino and Giuseppa were not so young when they had Nunziata so they may have been married many years before 1856. It might also be that this was a second marriage for one/both of them? Do you know if there were any other children born to this couple?
Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Antonino Pittari and Giuseppa Russo Marriage

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Antonino Pittari and Giuseppa Russo were married on 14 August 1834 in Lipari. :D

I've made a start on the translation of this record but can't quite decipher all the script so maybe someone else with fresher eyes can check it over and fill in a couple of gaps for me. Thank you.

Atto Della Solenne Promessa No 54: Antonino Pittari and Giuseppa Russo
Recorded: 25 July 1834, 2 pm, Lipari

Appearing were:

Antonino Pittari, 33, born in Lipari, Agricoltore, living in Contrada V.Monte, son of the late Onofrio Pittari, and the late Giovanna Candila

And:

Giuseppa Russo, 27, Filanderia – Weaver, Spinner, born in Lipari, living ?, daughter of the late GioBattista Russo and ? Favaloro, Filanderia – weaver, spinner

On the right hand side of the page are the marriage details.
Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Antonino Pittari and Giuseppa Russo Marriage

Post by erudita74 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Antonino Pittari and Giuseppa Russo were married on 14 August 1834 in Lipari. :D

I've made a start on the translation of this record but can't quite decipher all the script so maybe someone else with fresher eyes can check it over and fill in a couple of gaps for me. Thank you.

Atto Della Solenne Promessa No 54: Antonino Pittari and Giuseppa Russo
Recorded: 25 July 1834, 2 pm, Lipari

Appearing were:

Antonino Pittari, 33, born in Lipari, Agricoltore, living in Contrada V.Monte, son of the late Onofrio Pittari, and the late Giovanna Candila

And:

Giuseppa Russo, 27, Filanderia – Weaver, Spinner, born in Lipari, living ivi, daughter of the late GioBattista Russo and Nunziata Favaloro, Filanderia – weaver, spinner

On the right hand side of the page are the marriage details.
Angela
Great find, Angela. Actual marriage in the cathedral on Aug 14th.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you for the compliment Erudita – I appreciate it.

I'm still looking for Giuseppa Russo's address. I see the word “ivi” referring to Nunziata's address but I can't read what it says after domiciliata: “nata in Lipari, domiciliata …......? figlia di fu" etc.
Angela
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

Wow thank you very much!

Only 1 concern I have now, Is would they ever have a birth record with adoptive parents names in Lipari? Because according to the marriage record Giuseppe would've been born 1807 and 49 when giving birth. Before she would've been about 45 according to Nunziata's birth record, which still seemed suspicious to me. I know cases where a women gets pregnant over 50 nowadays are rare enough to become news, so it just seems so odd to me a women getting pregnant at 48/49 back then in Lipari. I'm wondering if they maybe adopted a relative or something? Am I right to worry?

Also, wow people intermarried a lot in Lipari, Nunziata I know ended up marrying a Bartolo Picone who also had a mother named Russo (different parents though) and my great grandmother Nunziata's daughter also named Nunizata married a Favaloro.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Thank you for the compliment Erudita – I appreciate it.

I'm still looking for Giuseppa Russo's address. I see the word “ivi” referring to Nunziata's address but I can't read what it says after domiciliata: “nata in Lipari, domiciliata …......? figlia di fu" etc.
Angela

al Piano Conte-(currently there is a street there called Strada Provinciale Piano Conte)

Erudita
PurrfectMeow
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurrfectMeow »

Thank you for the additional info Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:Thank you for the compliment Erudita – I appreciate it.

Angela

al Piano Conte-(currently there is a street there called Strada Provinciale Piano Conte)

Erudita
Fantastic! Thank you for this.
Angela :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PurrfectMeow wrote:Wow thank you very much! You are very welcome :D

Only 1 concern I have now, Is would they ever have a birth record with adoptive parents names in Lipari? (Adoptions (adozioni) might be included amongst "Diversi" documents.) Because according to the marriage record Giuseppa would've been born 1807 and 49 when giving birth. Before she would've been about 45 according to Nunziata's birth record, which still seemed suspicious to me. I know cases where a women gets pregnant over 50 nowadays are rare enough to become news, so it just seems so odd to me a women getting pregnant at 48/49 back then in Lipari. I'm wondering if they maybe adopted a relative or something? Am I right to worry? There are often age discrepancies in bmd records for various reasons. Sometimes people didn't even know their own ages, sometimes the people reporting the event didn't know the ages, sometimes the clerk didn't write the info correctly, and so on. I have this in in my history also. You are not really going to know Giuseppa's exact age until you locate her birth record. I know it can be frustrating and especially when the discrepancies cover a wide year range.

Re a woman's age when giving birth: I think this happened quite a lot back then. A few of my ancestors were well into their 40's. In some ways I think that it possibly would have been more like to have happened back then compared to today when there are so many options to contraceptives available, for those who wish to use them. However, like you, I also have friends who have had beautiful babies in their mid to late 40's.

Also, wow people intermarried a lot in Lipari, Nunziata I know ended up marrying a Bartolo Picone who also had a mother named Russo (different parents though) and my great grandmother Nunziata's daughter also named Nunizata married a Favaloro.
Well, it seems that way doesn't it. I've noticed this going through the records. There are at least three Antonino Pittari's that married a Russo as well. I guess you won't know until you research further if and how closely they were all related.
Angela :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Birth Record Giovanni Battista Pittari - Possible Brother

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Birth Record No 103: Battista Giovanni Pittari
Recorded 5 May 1840, 4 pm, Lipari

Antonino Pittori, age 30 (1810), Agricoltore, living al Monte, presented a male born to his legitimate wife Giuseppa Russo, age 20 (1820) and to ( himself). It says he was given the name Battista on the Birth Record.

Right side is the Baptism Record.
No 103 – 5 May 1840
Baptised this Cathedral today – 5 May 1840
Here he is given the name Giovanni Battista (named after Giuseppa's father)

This is the first child that I have been able to find so far born to this couple since their marriage in 1834. I wasn't able to view some of the indices so clearly though, especially 1838 and 1839 which were either badly waterstained or ripped so there may have been other children born. I would need to go through page by page and don't have the time at the minute. It seems odd that if this is their first child, that it wasn't given Antonino's father's name ie Onofrio, unless they weren't exactly following the Italian naming pattern.

You'll notice another age discrepancy – here Giuseppa is recorded as being 20. Maybe she didn't know her age? I'm pretty sure it is the same couple but maybe someone else can take a look just in case I'm missing something – (I'm competing with three Arborists with chainsaws outside at the moment and can hardly hear myself think!)

Angela :D