Birth Record for Antonino Sorbera 1873

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Birth Record for Antonino Sorbera 1873

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

I would like to wish all of you wonderful people on this forum a very happy Easter!

I found a birth record for Antonino Sorbera, born 1873 in Gioiosa Marea, Sicily. It looks like his father was Giovanni Sorbera, age 36, son of late Pietro.

Mother was Carmela Fiore and I think she is the daughter of Giovanni. Please fill in any blanks or correct any errors I may be made in my translation.

Again, I thank you.

Here is the link:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245703301

Sue Visaggio Antista
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record for Antonino Sorbera 1873

Post by liviomoreno »

Antonino was born April 20
On Oct 18 1900 he married Contenta Antonina Maggistro
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you, Livio. Is the woman he married named Antonina Maggistro Contenta? Why are there two last names? Or is it the way you wrote it as Contenta Antonina Maggistro? I am confused.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You need to further investigate to be 100% sure.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

If you look in the current Italian white pages for the town, Magistro (one g) is followed by Contenta and then the first name of the individual. So, "Contenta Magistro" is a double surname in the town. These double surnames in Sicily are hard to explain. I have a Sicilian town in my husband's ancestry where there are many double surnames, but then going back in time, the individual is only under one of the surnames in some records, whereas in others, the individual is under the other. It makes tracing the ancestry back difficult. It's not that the one surname is the maiden name of the mother, for example, and the other is the surname of the father. Sometimes the one surname may be from an individual several generations back in the ancestry. Double surnames may distinguish branches derived from the same ancestry from one another, so I have read. There have been discussions about this on this forum. If you search "double surnames," the links to the discussions should appear.
Erudita
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

erudita74 wrote:These double surnames in Sicily are hard to explain. I have a Sicilian town in my husband's ancestry where there are many double surnames, but then going back in time, the individual is only under one of the surnames in some records, whereas in others, the individual is under the other. It makes tracing the ancestry back difficult.
Erudita
Gioiosa Marea seems especially prone to double surnames.

The chalenge grows when one surname is sometimes used alone and prefixed with a "Di"... and when the prefix is run together with that surname to form one word.