Scandiffio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Scandiffio

Post by Help »

Does anyone know the origin of the Scandiffio name? My Scandiffio ancestors came from Pomarico.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Scandiffio

Post by Tessa78 »

From this webiste
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0017c.htm

It states that the name is specific to the Matera Province, to Pomarico and Ferrandina, and is probably an "Italianization" of the Greek name Xanthippos.

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Today, they are spread out a bit but the bulk of them are in the eastern part of Potenza in or near Pomarico.

See http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... SCANDIFFIO

Also http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... r=680&k=FF

Current Italian telephone listings: http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:From this webiste
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0017c.htm

It states that the origin of the name is specific to the Matera Province, to Pomarico and Ferrandina, and is probably an "Italianization" of the Greek name Xanthippos.

T.

Edited to reflect that this site refers to the "origin" of the name :-D
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Thanks to all who helped me with this surname, I really appreciate it!
k9obsessed

Post by k9obsessed »

There are still quite a few Scandiffios in Pomarico. I was there in December, when I met Gennaro Scandiffio, a local artist, who sells his work out of his home. There is also a street, Via M. Scandiffio on the outskirts of Pomarico.
~~Michele
Michele Ferrantino
Researching surnames :
Ferrandina; Dianora, DeCicco, DiPrimo from Pomarico, MT
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Thanks very much for this information. I hope you enjoyed your trip, my sister & I are hoping to make this journey together someday. I live in Ontario Canada, but my sister lives in California as you do, only in Southern California (San Diego area).

Thanks again,

Sandra
DianaNevin

Post by DianaNevin »

Hi,
I am a Scandiffio from birth. I lived in Massachusetts and now live in Florida. I am going to Matera/Pomarico in September and would like to meet any Scandiffios that might still live there. I've a list of a few but thought I'd ask anyone that might be more familiar than I am about the area. We are renting a home in Matera for a week and will visit Pomarico from there. Any guidelines, help, or insight into how we can meet folks would be greatly appreciated. Also, any help in navigating the area would also be appreciated. Needless to say, we are very excited about visiting and enjoying this area of Italy! Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Diana Nevin
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Hi Diana, my name is Sandra Scand (my father changed his surname from Scandiffio during WW11). I was born in Toronto, Canada & now reside in Waterloo, ON. Unfortunately I have not made it over to Italy myself & really envy you that you are going to Pomarico where most of my ancestors on my father's side came from. I wonder if we have any family in common? My father was Joseph Scandiffio (Scand) & was born in NY in 1907. His father was Giuseppe D. Scandiffio, a tailor who came to NY through Ellis Island in 1901 with his new bride Angelina Calabrese. The family moved to Toronto in 1910. He had an older brother Francesco & his wife Terese already living in N.Y. Giuseppe's father was Nicodemo Scandiffio & his mother was Maria Michela Panico. I have a private tree on ancestry.com if you would ever like to view it I would be glad to send you an invite.
DianaNevin

Post by DianaNevin »

Hi Sandra,
We're cousins!! My grandfather was Franceco (Frank) and my grandmother was Terese. My grandfather was also a tailor. My grandparents lived in Brooklyn NY where my father was born in 1900. My grandparents had 5 children, Nick, Jerry (my father), Joe, Mario, and Aida, all who have passed away. I knew my grandfather had a brother, Michael, who moved to Toronto from Pomarico. I lived in TO for a year and happened to pass by a law firm, Scandiffio and Scandiffio. I went in and met one of the lawyers and we didn't come up with a connection, but I'm sure we just didn't try hard enough. I'm not an ancestry.com member, but maybe I'll join so that I can view your tree. I am so excited that you wrote! A big thrill. Let's keep in touch, and I will check out the private tree if I'm allowed without joining. If I can't, I'll join. If you want, I can include more information about my father's family. I found a very interesting article about my Uncle Mario the other day. Wish I had known this stuff when I was younger, but didn't care then, but sure do now. Thank you so much for responding. I don't think I have any cousins left in the US, certainly none I'm in touch with. My cousin, Carol, the only one I kept in touch with, passed away a few years ago. Look forward to hearing more from you!
Cousin Diana!
DianaNevin

Post by DianaNevin »

Hi Sandra,
It just dawned on me that you've given me the names of my great grandparents, something I never knew before....wow, thank you so much.
Diana
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Hello my 2nd cousin! How wonderful to find you. I have so much info to share with you, I have your father Jerry Scandiffio on my tree & also your mother Norma L. McBean & now have added you! Where & when were you born? If you could send me your e-mail address it would probably be easier for us to communicate that way, mine is sandra@sandrascand.com. I can also send you an invite to view my tree even though I'm not currently a member & you are not a member I can do it if I have your e-mail address. Our great great grandparents were Francesco Scandiffio & Maria Teresa Spinazzola. You mentioned Mario Scandiffio, Dr. Mario Scandiffio was the father of Ann Scandiffio our cousin who lives in Mint Hill, North Carolina & who I have been in touch with for a few years now. Looking forward to hearing from you. Sandra
DianaNevin

Post by DianaNevin »

How wonderful this is! When I first started checking out my family history, I found Ann, and tried to reach her, but couldn't find out how to do it. If you're in touch, I would love to be in touch with her as well. My email: diananckle@comcast.net
I haven't seen Ann since we were teenagers although I did speak with her over the phone when my Uncle Mario died. I would love to see the family tree. I went on Ancestry.com yesterday but couldn't see anything, hopefully with my email address, you'll be able to put me on it. I lived in Thornhill ON from 1989-1990, wish I'd known you then! Are you related to the Scandiffios in TO? the lawyers I told you about? Are you on Facebook? My niece, Maryann Scandiffio, told me she was "friends" on Facebook with Michele Scandiffio who lives in Pomarico or Matera, not sure which one. I "friended" him as well, so hope to meet him when we're in Matera/Pomarico. Have to tell you this: When I realized you had told me who my great-grandparents were, I ran to tell my husband but couldn't get the words out through the tears! Old softie that I am...I'll scan some old photos I have and email the results. Have to find them first! What fun! Diana
MScandiffio

Post by MScandiffio »

Sandra & Auntie Di,

It's SO great to read all this information about the Scandiffio family. I love Southern California, I have been out there 4 times in the last two years.

Much love,
Maryann xo
Help
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Help »

Hi Maryann,

Just heard from your Aunt Diana about her brother Jerry & you. It's so nice to find some new cousins & I'm more than happy to share any info I have on the Scandiffio family. My sister Betty lives in La Jolla, CA & I've been spending a couple of winter months with her & my brother-in-law for a few years now. Maybe we will meet up there sometime!?