Rachel

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Rachel

Post by jennabet »

Question of the Day. How many Italians participating in this forum have female Italian mothers, sisters, cousins, or ancestors with the first name of Rachel?
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Rachel

Post by jennabet »

Hmmmm, no takers. Just as I thought. Rachel is not a name used by the majority of Italians in the past or today so I fail to understand why anyone who claims to be an authority on Italy and Italian citizenship would use that name as an example of the wife in an Italian couple or as the daughter of Italian parents. Therefore choose your "experts" carefully particularly when visiting forums other than this one. Do keep an open mind but skepticism is perfectly OK when warranted and so is a second opinion.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

If you search Rachele in this forum you will see that Rachele is an Italian name: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/s ... mit=Search
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Spelled Rachele, yes it is but I have lived with Italians my entire life and I never knew anyone with this name, so it's not very common.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

I have a few ancestors with the first name Rachele.
TerraLavoro
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My niece is named Rachele, which I guess is the Italian form of Rachel. There are several Rachele's in my husband's family, but I don't know how common the name is throughout Italy. It certainly is an Italian name though.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

My great aunt (grandfather's sister) was named Rachele. She was from Puglia
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Thanks for the info as it seems there ARE a few.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I'm italian... Rachele is not so common but you can find it even today. My husband's maternal grandmother was named Rachele. It's a name who comes from the Bible , in the area where I live it was common in "ancient times" more than today.

Laura
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Thanks Laura. Yes, Rachel is a name from the Old Testament and since the Vatican was founded AFTER the birth of Christ and most Italians are Catholic, Rachel would not be a popular name. So I reiterate that most people who claim to be experts in all things Italian would be cognizant of that fact and would not be likely to use Rachel as an example for the name of an Italian woman. Maria, yes. Elena, yes. Margarita, yes. Rachel, no.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Rachele is considered to be a Saint by the Catholic Church and her name-day is Sept 30.
Examples of Italian names are: Maria, Elena, Margherita and also Rachele. But not Mary, Hellen, Daisy or Rachel.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Liviomorena, thank you for the clarification. When in doubt, one can always check to see if a Saint's Day is assigned to the name. Actually, my own given name is not assigned a Saint's day and I was questioned about this when I first came back to Italy. My mother, a first generation Abruzzese-American, gave her first born an American name. But she gave her subsequent children Italian names.