Liberato Battista

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rose_briss

Liberato Battista

Post by rose_briss »

my great grandfather was Liberato Battista, son of Dominic Battista and Rosalina Cossetta (?). He was born in 1874 in Campo Basso. He emigrated to Canada (Ontario) in 1895 out of Liverpool England. He married Carmela Infante in Canada - they did not know each other in Italy. She was born in 1878 in Lustra and emigrated to Canada in 1898. Does anyone have information on the Battista, Cossetta or Infante families? It seems these surnames are not common. Battista is often used as a middle name or given name.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Liberato Battista

Post by Tessa78 »

Possible arrival information for Liberato Battista...
Is this your GGF?
May have then sailed on to Canada, or crossed the border into Canada...

Liberato Battista
United States Italians to America Index
Name: Liberato Battista
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 20 Apr 1895

Event Place: New York, New York, New York, United States
Birthplace: Italy
Ship Name: Etruria
Birth Year (Estimated): 1875
Departure Port: Liverpool & Queenstown
Literacy: Unknown
Destination Place: NEW YORK
Transit or Travel Compartment: Staying in the USA [Transit]; Steerage [Travel]
Affiliate Manifest ID: 00082661
Affiliate ARC Identifier: 1746097

I located a birth record for a Liberato Battista in Province of Campobasso in 1874, in the Comune/town of Casalciprano, but the parents's names do not match what you have posted :(

T.
rose_briss

Post by rose_briss »

Thank you Tessa. The first is definitely my great grandfather. He arrived in New York from Liverpool and came to Canada to live with a cousin. His parents names were definitely Dominic and Rosalina as these were the names listed on his marriage license. They never came to Canada. Liberato's mother's maiden name was Cosetta or Covotta - the handwriting is difficult to read.
I appreciate you finding the name of the ship. It is information I didn't have.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

rose_briss wrote:Thank you Tessa. The first is definitely my great grandfather. He arrived in New York from Liverpool and came to Canada to live with a cousin. His parents names were definitely Dominic and Rosalina as these were the names listed on his marriage license. They never came to Canada. Liberato's mother's maiden name was Cosetta or Covotta - the handwriting is difficult to read.
I appreciate you finding the name of the ship. It is information I didn't have.
The surname is probably Covatta, which is found in Campobasso. :-)

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

How did you come up with the birth town being Campobasso?
Also I believe that this is Carmela Infante brothers
Nome: Angelo Raffaele Infante
Classe: 1873
Comune di nascita: Lustra
Full text: Infante Angelo Raffaele di Giuseppe e Lebano Maria nato il 11\8\1873 a Lustra di professione pastore

Nome: Domenico Infante
Classe: 1876
Comune di nascita: Lustra
Full text: Infante Domenico di Giuseppe e Lebano Marianna nato il 19/02/1876 a Lustra di professione Contadino

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rose_briss

Post by rose_briss »

Hi Marty,
Campobasso was the birthplace of Liberato Battista. Carmela was born in Lustra - and yes Angelo is her brother. Liberato and Carmela only met when she came to Canada.
R
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

In the province of Campobasso or town?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rose_briss

Post by rose_briss »

I don't know. His children always referred to Campobasso as to where their father's family came from. I have questioned his grandchildren and they can't be specific.