Ancestor in the Military

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Ancestor in the Military

Post by Anizio »

Hello I have a question about an ancestor in the military, at least I think the military.

My ancestor Nardo Nardoni is listed as a corporal in church records (all sergeants, corporals, and doctors appear to be listed as a norm).

He was born in 1689 in San Costanzo, Pesaro e Urbino and died in 1769 in the same town.

So at that time, in that town....what would "caporale" mean?
A town guard? A papal soldier? Some sort of police or peace officer?

I need help understanding the time period and location to figure out what this means. Any help is greatly appreciated!
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Ancestor in the Military

Post by PippoM »

Don't know at that time, but a "caporale" (in the XIX century, and nowadays, too) can be the head of a group of workers.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.