Salvatore Cimo from Alia, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Granddaughter

Salvatore Cimo from Alia, Sicily

Post by Granddaughter »

I am interested in finding out if my grandfather, Salvatore Cimo, died in Italy or Sicily after 1940. He immigrated to America, married my grandmother and then disappeared sometime after 1940. I have researched and cannot find a death record of him in America and my grandmother always suspected he went back to Sicily or Italy. Salvatore was born on February 24, 1883 to Antonino Cimo (born October 26, 1842 in Alia) and Barbara Panepinto (born November 24, 1850). I am not positive about Salvatore's birthdate because I have seen discrepancies on a couple of different documents. How can I research Italian death records? My mother - his daughter- is 89 and before she passes, I would love to solve the disappearance of her father. The trail ends in Texas, United States after 1940. I would be very grateful for any guidance. Thank you, Camille
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Cimo from Alia, Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

You are correct with the birth date of 24 February 1883, in Alia (Palermo, Sicily), for Salvatore Cimo'

Here is the birth act... #66 on right side of image.
Unfortunately, there is no annotation to the record regarding a death.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,247709101

Death records after 1910 are not online.
You can write directly to the Comune of Alia and inquire.

T.
Granddaughter

Post by Granddaughter »

Tessa,

Thank you for quick response and for verifying Salvatore's birth information. This man seems to have vanished but there has to be someway to find out and I will not give up! I will take your advice and write to the Comune of Alia for guidance. I am very grateful for the help you have been and thank you for all you do to help everyone!

Camille
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found a record abt a Sam CIMO born in Alia on 18 feb 1883
Sam Cimo
United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Name Sam Cimo
Event Type Draft Registration
Event Date 1942
Event Place San Antonio, Bexar, Texas, United States
Residence Place San Antonio, Bexar, Texas
Gender Male
Birth Date 18 Feb 1883
Affiliate ARC Identifier 576252

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DTV7-ZFB
It is your ancestor?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Don't know if you have heres the marriage allegati for Antonino Cimo and Barbara Panepinto just go through the pages for the records they filed before they married
It has the 1870 death record of Barbara Panepinto father Giovanni Panepinto age 53 (abt 1797) husband of Grazia Lo Tuso son of deceased Vincenzo Panepinto and Barbara Russo
First page is the cover page

PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,245980901

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Sam Cimo in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name:Sam Cimo
SSN:527324479
Race:White
Birth Date:18 Feb 1883
Birth Place:Sicily, Italy
Father Name:Antonino Cimo
Mother Name:Panepinto Barbero
Type of Claim:Original SSN.
Notes:Jul 1945: Name listed as SAM CIMO

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Granddaughter

Post by Granddaughter »

Marty,

Thank you very much for the above info. Having the social security number should help me find death records in the USA but I have not been successful. I suppose it is possible the SSA was not notified of his death. I have not been successful in finding his death noted anywhere but I will keep trying! I appreciate your quick reply to my post, and I will post if I find any addition info on Salvatore/Sam.

Thank you again,
Camille
Granddaughter

Post by Granddaughter »

Suanj,

Thank you, yes that is my grandfather. I hope now that I have Salvatore's USA social security number, I can find a record of his death in the USA. We are not sure whether he went back to Italy after he abandoned his family in Texas in the 1940s. I appreciate your help and all you do to help people locate their relatives. It will be nice for my mom to get closure and that's what I am trying to achieve.

With gratitude,
Camille
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

adelfio wrote:Sam Cimo in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name:Sam Cimo
SSN:527324479
Race:White
Birth Date:18 Feb 1883
Birth Place:Sicily, Italy
Father Name:Antonino Cimo
Mother Name:Panepinto Barbero
Type of Claim:Original SSN.
Notes:Jul 1945: Name listed as SAM CIMO

Marty
Marty: wonderful find!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Granddaughter wrote:Suanj,

Thank you, yes that is my grandfather. I hope now that I have Salvatore's USA social security number, I can find a record of his death in the USA. We are not sure whether he went back to Italy after he abandoned his family in Texas in the 1940s. I appreciate your help and all you do to help people locate their relatives. It will be nice for my mom to get closure and that's what I am trying to achieve.

With gratitude,
Camille
Hi Camille, happy to help you! :D
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Just a bit more information...

Here is a link to a newspaper ( The San Antonio Light) article (small) about a burglary at Sam Cimo's store on 22 December 1941, four months before WWII registration. Same address on San Pedro.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/51973/N ... ,2141,3771

T.
Granddaughter

Post by Granddaughter »

Tessa,

Thank you for posting the newspaper article. Yes, that has to be my grandfather. I must be the worst searcher because I did not come across that article after searching through records for hours yesterday. I have not had any success using the social security number to find a death certificate in the USA so maybe his death was not reported to the Social Security Administration, if he even died in the United States. I was able to find a death certificate for a John Cimo that I believe to be his brother, though. I think my next step will be to write to the Comune in Alia for their help. Another option I might try is to start researching this John Cimo to see if I can find his living relatives who might have heard stories about my grandfather. It's probably a long shot but who knows, it might help. And I need to read more tips on how to be a better searcher!!! I do appreciate your help and those of the other contributors to this website more than I can express!!!! You all are so good at what you do.

Grazie,

Camille
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad we could help! :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The Social Security record Marty :D posted above appears to be for the issuance of an ORIGINAL SNN... in 1945.

The first three numbers of Sam Cimo's SSN are 527 -
These numbers reference an Area/State/etc. for the Social Security Admin when issuing numbers.
As you can see from this table of area numbers, 527 is for Arizona.
It would appear that Sam Cimo was issued a SSN in 1945 in Arizona.
http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v45n11/v45n11p29.pdf

You can send for the original application of Sam's (for a fee) to obtain an address for him when he applied for his SSN in 1945. Maybe it will offer other clues as well. :D
Be sure to request the photocopy of the original - use his SS#

Here is the link to requesting the SS-5 (Social Security Application) -
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp
Granddaughter

Post by Granddaughter »

Tessa,
I did go online to read about Social Security numbers and had made a note to branch off and start searching Arizona records and publications but have not done that yet. I will take your advice and request his original SS application as well. I also pulled a form from the internet of a letter written in Italian that can be sent to the Comune di Alia requesting records and I have that ready to mail. I plan to attack this from all sides! I start to fear that maybe he met with a horrible death and that no body was found or something sinister like that. I sure hope not. Also, I wanted to let you know that both my mom and dad are of Italian heritage! 7 of my 8 great-grandparents were from Italy. My maiden name is LoBello and other names in our family are Zanetti (he was an inventor from Torino), Cuccia, and Palmeri, all from or near Palermo. I have a love for Italy and all things Italian because it runs deep in my veins. Of all my Italian relatives, Salvatore(Sam) Cimo is the only one in question and I hope to solve the mystery of where he disappeared to and what became of him after 1945! All the help I have received from you and the others on this site keeps me encouraged to continue researching and learning!
Best regards, Camille