Constance Porzio D'Agostino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ElizNew

Constance Porzio D'Agostino

Post by ElizNew »

This inquiry is a shot in the dark, but I'm totally frustrated! Here's what I know about Constance Porzio D'Agostino.

She was born Concetta Porzio to Gennaro and Rosa Fushino Porzio in November 1900 in Manhattan, NY. She was their first child. Gennaro had immigrated to New York earlier in the year from Naples.

At some point it appears Concetta americanized her name to Constance because she signed off as a witness to certain family members' applications for citizenship in the 1930's. It is also on these applications where her occupation is listed as "teacher".

By 1939 she is known as Constance D'Agostino per her signing off as an informant on her father's death certificate, so I'm assuming she married at some point in the 1930's. I haven't been able to locate her marriage license info.

When I look up any information on her via familysearch, it seems she passed away in February 1969 in Brooklyn, NY. During google searches, I find there was a woman by the name of Constance D'Agostino in Brooklyn during the 1940's who was a member of the NY Democratic State Committee, but I have no idea if it's the same person.

So, what are my questions? Who did she marry and is her obituary obtainable? I'm hoping her obituary will have the details of her spouse as well as any children she may have had.

Thanks for reading!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Constance Porzio D'Agostino

Post by suanj »

Hi,
this record is abt right Concetta?
Concetta Porzio
United States Census, 1930

Name Concetta Porzio
Event Type Census
Event Year 1930
Event Place Brooklyn (Districts 0251-0500), Kings, New York, United States
Gender Female
Age 29
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race (Original) White
Relationship to Head of Household Daughter
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Daughter
Birth Year (Estimated) 1901
Birthplace New York
Father's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Birthplace Italy

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I don't know if helpful, but a possible 1940 census, she is more Young, but it could be a probable record:
Louis D'Agnostino

United States Census, 1940

Name Louis D'Agnostino
Event Type Census
Event Date 1940
Event Place Assembly District 6, Brooklyn, New York City, Kings, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 36
Marital Status Married
Race (Original) White
Race White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Birthplace New York
Birth Year (Estimated) 1904
Last Place of Residence Same Place
Household

Role

Birthplace

Louis D'Agnostino Head M 36 New York
Constantina D'Agnostino Wife F 35 New York
the surname is mispelled, and she is more young, and Louis born on 1904...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9MY-5SNX
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

Yes, the 1930 census record is the correct one!

Now, the one for 1940, I'm not so sure. There is the difference in her age and her first name, but I know mistakes were made. The location is still Brooklyn, NY and that makes sense since her family was in that area.

I just don't have any other sources to confirm who she married. I've tried to find an obituary to no avail...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a link to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Wednesday, July 15, 1942.
Article includes: "Constance Porzio, president of the women's division of the 6th A. D. Democratic organization, today declared she has resigned..."

First column - last paragraph (story about Queens Party Split...)
http://fultonhistory.com/highlighter/hi ... Page=false

In another issue of Brooklyn Daily Eagle in 1949.
Article again about Democrats in 6th A. D. - In this article both Louis D'Agostino and Mrs. Constance D'Agostino are mentioned... :-)

In Brooklyn Eagle in March of 1950...
PICTURE of Constance D'Agostino, District Co-leader, with a group from 6th A.D. receiving a portrait of FDR
On the left

Also March 1950 - Photo of Mrs. Constance D'Agostino , Chairman of the Williamsburg Red Cross Campaign

T.
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

Hi Tessa. Thanks for the links.

Circumstantially, I'm betting this is the same person, especially when the 1942 article mentions "Constance Porzio". She was married by that time, so perhaps the writer slipped by mentioning her maiden name.

As to Louis D'Agostino...he might be her husband or her brother-in-law or somebody else!

I was so sure I could find her marriage certificate via the database at italiangen.org, but she's not there. The transcribed records are through 1937, so I assume she married after that year. Since this family was based in Brooklyn since 1900, I can't imagine her being married elsewhere.

If this is the same person and somewhat prominent in local political circles, I wish I could find her obituary! Legally, I can't request her death certificate until fifty years from her death, so that's a few years away.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Tessa, good find, so the husband was Luis D'Agostino.. I am pretty sure that the 1940 census is right... the different age make sense, because she was more older of husband,and maybe no wished say her true age as a well Constantine is the diminutive of Constance... ( Costanza in italian> Costantina)
hugs,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

Thanks, for explaining how the name "Constantine" is related to "Constance". I never knew that.

So, this seems to be the couple although I can't substantiate it with any other piece of information.

I looked back at the 1940 census entry and noticed Constantine had three years of college. That makes sense since she listed herself as a teacher on documents.

It's so neat to know her parents came over from Italy and in one generation their first-born attended college and attained professional standing!

I'll try to find some info on the Democratic party in this area and whether there are records.

This has been very helpful!
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

This has really intrigued me. I took the address where the D'Agostino's lived per the 1940 census and it's only .1 of a mile from where she lived with her parents. I'm just betting it's her.

Ah, all the circumstantial evidence says this person is one and the same.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

suanj wrote:Hi Tessa, good find, so the husband was Luis D'Agostino.. I am pretty sure that the 1940 census is right... the different age make sense, because she was more older of husband,and maybe no wished say her true age as a well Constantine is the diminutive of Constance... ( Costanza in italian> Costantina)
hugs,
suanj
Hi suanj! :-D

Yes, I also believe you have the correct Constance/Concetta, married to Louis D'Agostino.
In the 1940 Census, they are living on Pulaski St., in the 6th A.D. :-)

Will continue to search for other "evidence" of this couple, but I do believe you have found them in the 1940 Census...

To ElizNew...
Yes, I also determined that her address from childhood to adult was within a small area... in the 6th Assembly District! :-)

EDIT TO ADD:
Found a Marriage Announcement! :D :D :D

Brooklyn Eagle - September 5, 1938
First Column at the bottom
Hard to read so here is the transcription:
Democratic Aides In 6th Are Married

Louis D'Agostino and Miss Constance Porzio, captain and co-captain, respectively, of the 19th E.D. of the regular Democratic organization of the 6th A. D. were married yesterday afternoon in St. Ambrose R. C. Church, Tompkins and DeKalb Aves., by the REv. Joseph D. Wiest, assistant pastor of the church.
The bride had as her maid of honor her sister, Margaret. The bridesmaids were the Misses Catherine Tortice and Carolyn D'Agostino, the bridegroom's sister. The best man was Vincent D'Agostino, the bridegroom's brother.
Ushers were Genaro Porzio and Victor D'Agostino, also a brother of the bridegroom.
Miss Porzio is the daughter of John Porzio of 653 DeKalb Ave. Mr. D'Agostino is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Dominick D'Agostino of 798(?) Myrtle Ave.
Following the ceremony at which approximately 1,000 person attended, including Deputy Register Joseph Reich, who is executive member of the regular Democratic organization of the 6th A. D. a reception was held at the Lithuanian American Hall at 10 Stagg St.
Upon their return from a tour of the New England States, the couple will live at 46-A Pulaski St.

T.
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

Tessa, the marriage announcement is GOLD! This is the woman I'm looking for. I had looked at both the Brooklyn Eagle and Fultonhistory and didn't see this. It ties directly to her father Gennaro (John). Her mother isn't mentioned because she passed away in 1930. And, yes, Margaret was her sister. Wow, 1000 people attended their wedding.

Thank you so much for transcribing it, too after finding it!
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

It appears Constance's husband headed for a warmer climate after her death. Family search shows him in Broward County, FL with a death date of 14 Dec. 1991 and a birth year of 1904.

From property records for this county, he married again around 1972 to a woman by the first name of Grace. She died in 1988.

According to family search, his obituary is on the data base of genealogybank. Perhaps it will mention Constance as well as any children he might have had. I do not have a subscription, does anyone else?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is Constance D'agostino in the Social Security Death Index... Died in 1969
This Constance was born 28 November 1900 - for your Concetta/Constance Porzio I recall seeing a birth of 20 November 1900.
This Constance has a last residence in Brooklyn.
So probably the same person...

Name: Constance Dagostino
SSN: 063-30-5985
Last Residence:
11234 Brooklyn, Kings, New York, USA
BORN: 28 Nov 1900
Died: Feb 1969
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1953-1955)

For reference: Death of Rose Porzio in 1930
Name: Rose Porzio
Birth Year: abt 1881
Death Date: 4 Jun 1930
Death Place: Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 12336

Death of John/Gennaro Porzio in 1939 in NY
Name: Gennaro Porzio
Birth Year: abt 1879
Death Date: 25 Jul 1939
Death Place: Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 15758

In case you do not have them... Naturalization papers (Declaration and Petition) for Gennaro Porzio...
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1554/32 ... 4141-00511

And his arrival in NY, April 1900 ???
Name: Gennaro Porzio
Arrival Date: 13 Apr 1900
Birth Date: abt 1878
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Trojan Prince
http://search.ancestry.com//cgi-bin/sse ... &ml_rpos=5

T.
ElizNew

Post by ElizNew »

Tessa, thanks for all of the links. This is the right family. I was fortunate enough to get death certificates for John and Rosa before familysearch discontinued their online services to get documents. My library had the citizenship papers. So much good information in them.

Gennaro arrived in April 1900. From what we have researched he was the first one in the Porzio family to arrive in NY. Eventually two brothers (Domenico and Alfredo) and two sisters (Annunziata and Anna) joined him. Gennaro's wife, Rose, arrived in August 1900 with her mother. She was all of 19 years old. It looks like she had Concetta three months later.

I think these people were incredibly brave, at such young ages, to settle in the US.

Tessa, you and Suanj have been incredibly helpful. The piece that settled it was the marriage announcement. Not sure how you found it on fulton history, but very happy you did so!