Ranaudo, Pasqualina Birth #52

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Ranaudo, Pasqualina Birth #52

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Ranaudo, Pasqualina Birth #52

Post by erudita74 »

Dated May 19, 1873 at 11 a.m. in Frigento

Appearing was Rosaria di Feo, daughter of deceased Gennaro (di Feo), age 59, a peasant living in Frigento. She reported that on this same day, today, at 4 a.m., a female infant was born to Diletta Giovanniello, daughter of deceased Marciano Giovanniello, and wife of Gennaro Ranaudo, the son of deceased Giuseppe Ranaudo, age 64, a shepherd. The birth took place in their house located on Strada Limiti. The parents were intending to name the presented infant Pasqualina.

The declarant let it be known that the father of the infant was not present to make the presentation and and declaration of the birth because he was absent in Flumeri "to make the shepherd" (is what it says literally) but this means he was off on the semi annual transumanza*

*shepherds were responsible for the migration of huge numbers of livestock, primarily sheep, but also goats and cattle, from the high ground in the hills, which was the spring pasture, to the winter pastures which were nearer to the coast and vice versa. The sheep were driven up the hills from March until the end of June and then down the mountains from January until September. This was a practice that had originated as soon as men began domesticating animals in Italy, and it probably pre-dates the Roman era there. In many instances, the travels lasted up to two weeks.

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:Dated May 19, 1873 at 11 a.m. in Frigento

Appearing was Rosaria di Feo, daughter of deceased Gennaro (di Feo), age 59, a peasant living in Frigento. She reported that on this same day, today, at 4 a.m., a female infant was born to Diletta Giovanniello, daughter of the declarant [Rosaria di Feo] and deceased Marciano Giovanniello, and wife of Gennaro Ranaudo, the son of deceased Giuseppe Ranaudo, age 64, a shepherd. The birth took place in their house located on Strada Limiti. The parents were intending to name the presented infant Pasqualina.

The declarant let it be known that the father of the infant was not present to make the presentation and and declaration of the birth because he was absent in Flumeri "to make the shepherd" (is what it says literally) but this means he was off on the semi annual transumanza*

*shepherds were responsible for the migration of huge numbers of livestock, primarily sheep, but also goats and cattle, from the high ground in the hills, which was the spring pasture, to the winter pastures which were nearer to the coast and vice versa. The sheep were driven up the hills from March until the end of June and then down the mountains from January until September. This was a practice that had originated as soon as men began domesticating animals in Italy, and it probably pre-dates the Roman era there. In many instances, the travels lasted up to two weeks.

Erudita
T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks for catching my omission, T. I had written it in my notes and then accidentally left it out when I typed it.
Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:Thanks for catching my omission, T. I had written it in my notes and then accidentally left it out when I typed it.
Erudita
Glad to help, Erudita :-)

I am always happy when someone provides a "second look" for me as well.

T.
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

That's so pretty Erudita, thank you. And thank you also, Tessa.
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi Dolores
You're very welcome.
Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master