Are Gaetano Cambria and Nicolo Cambria the same person?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MSpinella

Are Gaetano Cambria and Nicolo Cambria the same person?

Post by MSpinella »

I have a birth record for a Nicolo Cambria, born 5 Dec, 1820 on Strada Bolechelli(?) in Pozzo di Gotto. His parents are Nunziato Cambria and Magrina(?) Barresi.

I also have a death record for a Gaetano Cambria (same parents) who died in Dec 1832. It states that he was 12 years old at time of death. The address is different, Strada Roma della ?? I'm wondering if the name Gaetano is a nickname or middle name. It doesn't show on Nicolo's birth record that he was a twin and I didn't find any other records for a Cambria born in 1820 with the same parents.

Also could use some help with Nunziato's wife's name and street names.

Thanks for your help,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mary

Spinella/Bennardo/Lupica/Pedala'/Cambria/Buda/Cali'/Tarantello/Barresi/Mollica/Armaro/Genovese
SANT'AGATA DI MILITELLO, MILITELLO DI ROSMARINO, BARCELONA POZZO DI GOTTO
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Are Gaetano Cambria and Nicolo Cambria the same person?

Post by paola52 »

Hi!
Just a though
Nicola, born December 5 1820 technically was not yet 12 in December 2 1832. Are you sure he had not an older brother born in 1819?
As for the name of the mother in Gaetano's death record it is spelled Macrina, rare, but it does exist in Sicily
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In the birth record the mother's name is spelled Marina Barresi, which sounds correct, while in the death record the name is spelled Magrina Barresi, which I believe is a typo.
Ages in deaths records are often far from being precise...
In my opinion the above two records are not enough to draw a 100% reliable conclusion...
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

From where did you obtain Pozzo di Gotto records from 1820? LDS microfilm?
MSpinella

Post by MSpinella »

paola52 wrote:Hi!
Just a though
Nicola, born December 5 1820 technically was not yet 12 in December 2 1832. Are you sure he had not an older brother born in 1819?
As for the name of the mother in Gaetano's death record it is spelled Macrina, rare, but it does exist in Sicily
Ciao
Paola
I'm not sure if he had an older brother but it's possible. I'm unable to find records prior to 1820. Thanks for your input and correction of Macrina's name :)

Mary
Mary

Spinella/Bennardo/Lupica/Pedala'/Cambria/Buda/Cali'/Tarantello/Barresi/Mollica/Armaro/Genovese
MSpinella

Post by MSpinella »

carubia wrote:From where did you obtain Pozzo di Gotto records from 1820? LDS microfilm?
I found them on this site: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... di+Messina
Mary

MSpinella

Post by MSpinella »

liviomoreno wrote:In the birth record the mother's name is spelled Marina Barresi, which sounds correct, while in the death record the name is spelled Magrina Barresi, which I believe is a typo.
Ages in deaths records are often far from being precise...
In my opinion the above two records are not enough to draw a 100% reliable conclusion...
Thank you Livio, I have noticed inconsistencies in ages in other records. I'll have to see where I can find records prior 1820. Would they be on microfilm on LDS?
Mary

carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

No, generally there would be no civil records before 1820 for a comune in Sicily, and that's true for Pozzo di Gotto, for which the microfilms start from 1820. If you need earlier records you'd probably have to get ones from the church.
MSpinella

Post by MSpinella »

Thanks, I've just discovered that yesterday. So now I have to determine which parish in Pozzo di Gotto my family was from. :?
Mary

carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

If you find a source of church records please let me know. I have ancestors from there, too, although I have been concentrating my research on other areas in Sicily and haven't gone back that far there yet. It's annoying dealing with BPG records since it is relatively large and my mother's surname (Calabro') is too common.