Josephus Giuseppe Caponi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Berean50
Rookie
Rookie

Josephus Giuseppe Caponi

Post by Berean50 »

Hi,

I am searching for any information pertaining to Josephus Giuseppe Caponi from Casalmaggiore, Cremona, Lombardy, Italy.
He was born on or around the 12th of April, 1846. He died in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on the 5th of November, 1907.
He married a Marie Bolduc in 1876. She was born in 1855 or thereabouts. She died in 1923 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
This couple had 5 sons: Joseph Albert Ludger, Albert, Ernest, Rosario and Alvarez.

There seems to be a discrepancy with the parents of Joseph Albert Ludger and his wife Rosa Jubinville where some say that the parents to this person would be Amedeus Capoani and Rosa Capoani (born Cavalli-Zecchini).

Thank you for any enlightenment.
Robert Germain
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Josephus Giuseppe Caponi

Post by Tessa78 »

Berean50 wrote:Hi,

I am searching for any information pertaining to Josephus Giuseppe Caponi from Casalmaggiore, Cremona, Lombardy, Italy.
He was born on or around the 12th of April, 1846. He died in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on the 5th of November, 1907.
He married a Marie Bolduc in 1876. She was born in 1855 or thereabouts. She died in 1923 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
This couple had 5 sons: Joseph Albert Ludger, Albert, Ernest, Rosario and Alvarez.

There seems to be a discrepancy with the parents of Joseph Albert Ludger
and his wife Rosa Jubinville where some say that the parents to this person would be Amedeus Capoani and Rosa Capoani (born Cavalli-Zecchini).

Thank you for any enlightenment.
Can you give us an approximate year of birth for Joseph Albert Ludger? and his siblings?

Could this be your Marie Bolduc Caponi after the death of her husband?
Canada Census 1911 - working as a Chef - residing with her are sons: Ernesto, Rosario, Alvares.

Marie Caponi
Canada Census, 1911
Name Marie Caponi
Event Type Census
Event Date 1911
Event Place Jacques-Cartier Sub-Districts 16-60, Quebec, Canada
Gender Female
Age (Estimated) 53
Marital Status Married
Relationship to Head of Household Chef
Birth Date Jul 1858
Birthplace Quebec
Marie Caponi Chef F Quebec
Ernest Caponé Son M Quebec
Rosario Caponé Son M Quebec
Alvares Caponé Son M Quebec

AND...

In the Canada 1881 Census with husband, Joseph, and son, Joseph?
Notice the spelling on this Census of the last name... Capouani

Marie Capouani
Canada Census, 1881
Name Marie Capouani
Gender Female
Age 22y
Birth Year 1859
Birthplace Quebec
Marital Status Married
Ethnicity Fr Can
Religion Catholique
Head of Household Name Joseph Capouani
Event Place St-Mary's Ward, Montreal (City), Quebec, Canada
District Number 90
Sub-District G
Division 4
Page Number 56
Family Number 293
Affiliate Film Number C-13219
Joseph Capouani M 40y Italy
Marie Capouani F 22y Quebec
Joseph Capouani M 2y Quebec

Online birth records for Casalmaggiore, Cremona, Lombardy appear to be limited to 1797-1815, and 1866 - 1903.
You might consider writing directly to the Comune of Casalmaggiore to request the birth act of Giuseppe/Joseph Caponi since you have a date of birth.
With your request you should send some form of Photo ID, but do not send any money.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Garibaldi, 26
26041 Casalmaggiore (CR)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

T.
Berean50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Berean50 »

Hi Tessa,

Thank you for your time and input.

Joseph Albert Ludger was born on the 15th of May in 1881.

The information you have provided from the 1911 census seems to concur as Marie was indeed a widow in 1911 as Joseph had died 4 years earlier.

From the 1881 census, am I to understand that this means that Joseph Capouani M 40y Italy would be Marie's husband and that she was 22 at the time of this census. If that is true, then there is an 18 year age difference between the two where I had a 12 year difference since I have Joseph born in and around 1846. This Joseph Capouani M 2y Quebec would be their son, Joseph Albert Ludger, as per my records if this is to prove correct.

I have a question regarding this entry "Event Place St-Mary's Ward, Montreal (City), Quebec, Canada". Is this where the census took place? If this is so, originally this would have been District 183: Ste. Marie / Ste. Mary.

Please note the following as well regarding the name spelling as per this site
http://www.mesaieux.com/fr/noms-de-familles/C/Caponi

1876 Joseph Caduani Marie Bolduc
1898 Joseph Capone Rosa Jubinville

When you say to not provide money but only a photo id, how then would I be able to pay for the service?

Thanks again Tessa.
Robert Germain
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Berean50!

I cannot tell you for certain if your understanding of the 1881 Census is correct. It would appear so.

As to the ages... census records can be inaccurate AND transcriptions of census records (due to handwriting, etc.) can also be inaccurate. Other records would be needed to confirm or disprove an 18 year difference in age. You mention that Marie was born about 1855. That would put her age in 1881 at about 25-26, bringing the ages closer than the 18 years. :-) A marriage in 1876 based on the age in the census would have her at age 17 at the marriage.

Since you mention that the child's name and age agree with your ancestor, and the district is correct, then I would say that this is the correct family even if the spelling is off.

Also... the civil records in Italy are usually free. The Stato Civile will usually send the documents without cost. However, I suggested that you send your email in the event they need to contact you with questions, or to ask you to cover some other costs.

***EDIT TO ADD***

I am not sure if you have this 1901 Census of Canada (on April 15)
In Quebec district 157 Jacques Cartier - St. Laurent Town
The ink is very faded, but here is what I see:
Listed are:
Joseph Caponi, chef, born 2 March 1844, age 57, born Italy, immigrated to Canada 1864, naturalized in 1900, nationality(?) Italian
Marie Caponi, his spouse, born 24(?) July (cannot read the year, or her age) , French
Albert... 15 (?month?) 1881, age 20(?)... Italian
Ernesto... 22 December(?) 1893(?)
Rosario
Another child - I cannot read this
then-
Gerard Bolduc, born 1887, age 13, French
Joseph Caponi, chef, born 3 (month?) 1879, age 31, Italian
Rosa Caponi, his wife, born 1882(?), French

http://interactive.ancestry.com/8826/z0 ... dit/record

Here is the link in FAmily Search - showing an 18 year difference in age...
Joseph Caponi
Canada Census, 1901

Name Joseph Caponi
Event Type Census
Event Date 31 Mar 1901
Event Place R, Jacques-cartier, Quebec, Canada
Marital Status Married
Ethnicity Italienne
Nationality Canadienne
Religion Roman Catholic
Relationship to Head of Household Chef
Birthplace Italie
Birth Year (Estimated) 1844
Joseph Caponi Chef U 57 Italie
Gérard Bolduc Pensionnaire M 13 Qc
Marie Caponi Épouse F 39 Qc
Alfred Caponi Fils M 19 Qc
Marth Caponi Fils M 10 Qc
Clara Caponi Fils M 8 Qc
Almore Caponi Fils M 5 Qc
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH5M-DFF

In the publication of marriage banns for Joseph and Rosa, his parents are clearly stated as Joseph Capone and Marie Bolduc
Click once on the image to enlarge, and again to magnify

T.
Berean50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Berean50 »

Thank you Tessa. I'll look into this more in depth. All the best.
Robert Germain