Translate a marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
donnalynn829
Veteran
Veteran

Translate a marriage record

Post by donnalynn829 »

Hi there.

As I said earlier, I've spent hours looking through an Italian images-only database looking for records from my ancestors in Canna. I found records for my great-grandfather, Antonio Imperatrice and his first wife, Angela Maria Marco, and another for my great-great grandparents, Francesco Imperatrice and Maria Domenica D'Ursi. I have a marriage publication and marriage records - one each couple, but I do not speak or read Italian. I would greatly appreciate some help wth translation. I will submit them separately, (Antonio and Angela are attached here) so not to overwhelm anyone. There have been questions on dates and parents of both, and having that information, which I believe are in these documents, would be huge for our family genealogy.

Thanks so much in advance.

Donna
Attachments
Two files attached
Two files attached
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translate a marriage record

Post by erudita74 »

This is a marriage publication record and not the actual marriage record. So the marriage would have taken place after the dates of the first and second publications which were Dec 11 and Dec 18th, 1892 (in the left hand margin of the record). They had been posted on the door of the town hall to insure there were no impediments to the upcoming marriage.

The groom was Antonio Imperatrice, age 20, never before married, a blacksmith. He was the son of Francesco Imperatrice, age 54, a day laborer, and Domenica D'Ursi, a housewife.
The bride, Angela Maria Marco, never married before, age 21, a housewife. She was the daughter of Giovanni Marco, age 53 a day laborer and resident in NY, and Cristina Truncelliti, a housewife in Canna.

I don't see the second file you say was attached. Sorry.

Erudita
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

erudita74 wrote:This is a marriage publication record and not the actual marriage record. So the marriage would have taken place after the dates of the first and second publications which were Dec 11 and Dec 18th through Dec 22nd, 1892 (in the left hand margin of the record). They had been posted on the door of the town hall to insure there were no impediments to the upcoming marriage.

The groom was Antonio Imperatrice, age 20, never before married, a blacksmith. He was the son of Francesco Imperatrice, age 54, a day laborer, and Domenica D'Ursi, a housewife.
The bride, Angela Maria Marco, never married before, age 21, a housewife. She was the daughter of Giovanni Marco, age 53 a day laborer and resident in NY, and Cristina Truncelliti, a housewife in Canna.

I don't see the second file you say was attached. Sorry.

Erudita
The bride's surname doesn't look like Marco but rather like Marsico
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Livio is correct about the marriage publications. The first was posted for a week and was then replaced by the second publication. That was posted for a total of three days, and ended on Dec 22nd as Livio stated. Here is the link to the actual marriage record -the marriage took place on the 24th.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043557

I also agree with Livio that the bride's surname is not Marco. It could be Marsico.

Erudita
donnalynn829
Veteran
Veteran

Post by donnalynn829 »

Thank you SO MUCH for your help with this. I do know that Angela's surname was Marsico (the type-ahead feature on my computer decided it was Marco and I didn't catch that until I saw the responses!), and I will check to see if I have the actual marriage record among the files I saved. They are in a database on FamilySearch.org, (in Italian), but I could tell there was a difference in the record types - Birth, Marriage and Death. The one I attached here is different from the other "marriage" record. I assumed the word Pubblicazioni di Matrimony meant publication (like a marriage bann in a Catholic Church - published 3 times before the ceremony), but didn't trust Google Translate.

I don't want to impose on the forum's generosity, but I have a few others. Do you mind if I post them as well?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I posted the actual marriage record above and the surname does not look like Marco in it. It looks like Marsico, as Livio said. Feel free to post additional records, but not all at once, and best to post each one individually so that none are missed and are easier to translate.
Erudita
donnalynn829
Veteran
Veteran

Post by donnalynn829 »

Thank you SO much!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. And to reply to your assumption, yes, the marriage publications were like banns that were done in church, except these were civil banns posted on the door of the town hall. They were both posted on a Sunday. The first would remain posted for a week and then be taken down and the second one would then would be posted in its place. The second one would only remain posted for three days. These marriage publications had the same purpose as the banns in church, which was to insure that there were no objections or obstacles to the upcoming marriage. In the church though, there were normally three banns of marriage, announced during the Masses. Occasionally the priest waived some of the banns.
Erudita