Going Wide

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Going Wide

Post by sacesta »

My research of the Aceste line has hit a wall with my 3rd great grandfather, Benedetto Aceste who I discovered was a foundling.

So I decided instead to go wide instead with my research of the Aceste name. I started last Wednesday with my paternal grandfather's siblings, since they were somewhat familiar. I knew their names, and I had some idea of their approximate birth order, but I had little other genealogical information.

I found several records in the microfilm for the Chiesa Cattolica di San Silvestri Papa in Calatafimi. Here is what I know of my grandfather's immediate family:

Rocco's Parents, Benedetto Aceste & Vincenza Papa, were married on the 25th of March, 1892 in Calatafimi.

Rocco Aceste was born 26 Jul 1893 in Calatafimi. Baptized on the 29th. As the first born son, his name honors his paternal grandfather, Rocco Aceste. Rocco migrated to the United States, arriving in New York onboard the Presidente Wilson on August 18th, 1922.

Camillo Aceste was born 21 May 1895 in Castellammare di Golfo. I did not find Camillo's record of baptism, but other documents I have for him indicate he was born in Castellammare di Golfo, Trapani, a neighboring comune. As the second born son, his name honors his maternal grandfather, Camillo Papa. Camillo migrated to the United States, arriving in New York on the Giuseppe Verdi on the 8th of September, 1922 (exactly three weeks after Rocco). The brothers both naturalized. They both worked as stone masons. They both married in Brooklyn. And they both lived out the rest of their lives there, living about a mile apart from one another.

Antonio Aceste, I did not find his record of baptism either. I believe, like Camillo, he was born in Castellammare di Golfo. Antonio migrated to Trieste. I had dinner with Antonio and his family at his apartment in Trieste on several occasions when I was a kid during the summer of 1969.

Antonia Aceste, baptized 29 Aug 1901, Calatafimi. As the first born daughter, her name honors her paternal grandmother, Antonia Cusenza. She may have been known as Antoinette. Antonia remained in Sicily.

Antonina Aceste, baptized 02 Feb 1905, Calatafimi. As the second born daughter, her name honors her maternal grandmother, Antonina Gruppuso. She may have been known as Nina. Antonina remained in Sicily.

Joanna Aceste, baptized 26 Feb 1907, Calatafimi. My Aunt called her Giovanna. I don't think they ever met. Joanna remained in Sicily.

Salvataor Aceste, baptized 17 Apr 1909, Calatafimi. I believe Salvator remained in Sicily and has descendants that migrated to New Orleans.

Pino Aceste, I did not find Pino's record of baptism. He must have been born after 1910. The records only go to 1910. My father always referred to Pino as "the baby" in the family. Pino migrated to Trieste where he worked as a barber. He cut my hair one summer when I was a kid visiting Trieste. Pino's wife was a Jewish ballerina who was murdered by Nazi's. He never remarried and had no children.

I also copied well over 60 records of people with the surnames Aceste, Papa, Sciortino, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sparacino, Vona and Zito - names I know that are tied to Calatafimi and that also appear in my genealogical tree.

Before now, my search has been very focused and I've had good luck finding the records I was looking for. But the hours at the FHC are limited and the films are on loan for a limited time, so having copies of these records at home will afford me more time to study them. I'm finding that there are only so many surnames in Calatafimi and in marriage records I see the same surnames marrying through the generations. I think there is a good chance that many of the surnames listed above will be related in some way, if not siblings, then first or second cousins.

Steve
Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Going Wide

Post by adelfio »

You can go to a Family History Center and use their computer for free to view records of Castellammare di Golfo I was there this morning and found birth record of Camillo Aceste (spelled Aresta on the record)

INDEX#372
1895 May 21 in the town of Castellammare di Golfo birth of Camillo Areste son of Benedetto Aresta age 27 (says son of deceased Romeo Digiovanni) and his wife Vincenza Papa daughter of Camillo Papa baby presented by the midwife
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Marty,

Yes, thanks so much for posting this. It is indeed Camillo Aceste's birth record!

I was aware that the records for Castellammare di Golfo were available online at my local FHC, but whenever I'm there I choose instead to search the microfilms that I have on loan for a limited time. I appreciate very much that you found and posted this record!

I'll have to find Antonio's next time I'm there. I suspect he was also born in Castellammare di Golfo since I did not find his record of baptism in Calatafimi.

Grazie mille!

Steve
Steve Acesta

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

It's odd about the spelling of the name and son of Romeo Digiovanni?

But this is without doubt, my grandfather's brother - son of Benedetto Aceste (who was born in March of 1868 and would be 27 years old in May of 1895) and of Vincenza Papa and grandson to Camillo Papa.
Steve Acesta

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

sacesta wrote:It's odd about the spelling of the name and son of Romeo Digiovanni?

But this is without doubt, my grandfather's brother - son of Benedetto Aceste (who was born in March of 1868 and would be 27 years old in May of 1895) and of Vincenza Papa and grandson to Camillo Papa.
The surname is spelled Asesta
Camillo was son of Vincenza Papa daughter of Camillo wife of Benedetto Asesta aged 27 son of deceased Romeo. (Papa Vincenza di Camillo moglie di Asesta Benedetto fu Romeo di anni 27)
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Livio,

I read the second letter as an S also. The Rs in other words in the document appear to be formed a little differently.

This is interesting because my family has always pronounced the name Acesta with a soft C sound, as if the second letter were an S. Not like a CH or SH sound as a C would normally be pronounced when followed by an E in Italian.

It's also interesting that Camillo's surname appears here ending in the letter A, which is how my family spells it now. But the name in Italy has been and is today always spelled Aceste.

Every document I've found for my paternal line (except this one) shows the name to be spelled Aceste. I witnessed this spelling first hand when I visited cousins in Trieste in 1969 and 1971. And cousins living there today all spell the name Aceste.

I don't know who Romeo is and I believe this to be in error. Benedetto's record of baptism and his record of marriage to Vincenza Papa clearly state that his father was Rocco Aceste - my grandfather Rocco's namesake. This agrees with the Italian naming convention. My grandfather Rocco was the first born son, named after his paternal grandfather, also Rocco.

It appears Benedetto Aceste and Vincenza Papa lived in Castellammare del Golfo for just a few short years. Maybe the Acestes were not as well known there as they were in their paese of Calatafimi? This would explain both Romeo and the misspelling of the name.

Steve
Steve Acesta

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Thank you Livio for the backup. Steve I used postimage for the record cause the file was more than 2meg and now its not working right its going to ads if you still need it send me your email in a private message

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

For your info, Steve, there's a Sebastiano Acesta (ending is an "a") listed in the death index for Castellammare (1907, record #172). Unfortunately the record is not online.
Erudita

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

adelfio wrote:Thank you Livio for the backup. Steve I used postimage for the record cause the file was more than 2meg and now its not working right its going to ads if you still need it send me your email in a private message

Marty
Marty,
I copied Camillo's birth record after you first posted it. Thanks!
Steve
Steve Acesta

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

erudita74 wrote:For your info, Steve, there's a Sebastiano Acesta (ending is an "a") listed in the death index for Castellammare (1907, record #172). Unfortunately the record is not online.
Erudita

Erudita,

There is indeed a Sebastian Aceste in my tree. He is the younger brother to Rocco Acesta (5-16). I found marriage records for Rocco, his brother Francesco, sister Caterina and brother Sebastian in Calatafimi. All children of Benedetto Aceste and Antonina Sciortino. I have reason to believe, based on the dates of marriage that there were other siblings between Rocco and Francesco as Rocco was married in 1861, Francesco in 1866, Caternina in 1867 and Sebastian in 1868.

I don't know if this Sebastian Acesta is the same person, but he very well may be. Based on the date of his marriage I would estimate that Sebastian may have been in his sixties in 1907. Thanks for posting!

Steve
Steve Acesta

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

I'd post Sebastian's record of marriage but my computer is acting up at the moment.
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Steve
That would be something if that Sebastiano is yours It's just a shame that the record isn't online so that you can know for sure. Hopefully you'll be able to track down the record at some point. I just thought it was interesting that you said above that the surname in Italy has always been spelled Aceste, but here it's spelled Acesta in the index in Castellammare.
Erudita
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Yes, interesting too that now there are two names, both associated with Castellammare, that are spelled with the A at the end - Camillo's and Sebastian's.

The next time I am at the FHC (on Wednesday) I will have to look for Camillo's brother Antonio online at Castellammare to see how his name is spelled. I always assumed the name changed in the United States. At least, I know it did for my grandfather, Rocco. His name is spelled with the E at the end on his birth record and on his discharge from the Italian cavalry. On Rocco's record of baptism the last letter looks a little ambiguous. I read it as an E and still believe that is what it is, but I can see how it could be misread as an A.

Steve
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's another one (Sebastian(o?) with a 1917 death #89, Part I

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Sebastian's marriage record…

Steve Acesta