father's name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

father's name?

Post by kencwalker »

Hello IG team,
I have a birth record I can't figure out. I can read and translate it (mostly), but the pieces don't make sense. The "è comparso" subject has a different last name from the child, and I don't see the father declared elsewhere in the document. Is he the father? I don't know if it's an error on my part, or more complicated.
Here's what I have so far (note "i" written with "j" in several places):
Record #44 Pietro Cantoia
On 29-Sept-1878 before Carlo Zoia (Sindaco for Cavaglio d'Agogna)
Giuseppe Domenico Cattaneo, age 28, contadino
declared that on 27 of this month by his wife Maria Zoia, contadina
a male child was born named Pietro
witnesses:
Luigi Magistrelli, age 27, ??
Bartolomeo Carpari, age 37, secretary
Attachments
Cantoia_Pietro_b-1878-09-27.png
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: father's name?

Post by carubia »

Yes, you have read it correctly. Note that the signature is also Giuseppe Domenico Cattaneo. There seems to be some sort of error in the record, most likely with the surname in the margin, or else the person reporting the birth was not really the mother's husband. Have you seen Pietro's marriage record?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

kencwalker wrote: Luigi Magistrelli, age 27, Maestro
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

carubia wrote:Yes, you have read it correctly. Note that the signature is also Giuseppe Domenico Cattaneo. There seems to be some sort of error in the record, most likely with the surname in the margin, or else the person reporting the birth was not really the mother's husband. Have you seen Pietro's marriage record?
Thanks carubia. I noticed the signature matched the declared name too. That had me thinking what you suggested. There are a lot of surnames in Cavaglio that begin with Ca: Cantoia, Cattaneo, Castaldi. Since the child's surname is only given in the margin, it's possible our Sindaco got confused. :)
I'm recording all Cantoia births (w/ father, mother, child) to identify undiscovered ancestors. In the process, I haven't found another Cantoia birth with a mother named Maria Zoia. I'll have to look at a few Cattaneo records and see if there are others for Giuseppe Domenico Cattaneo + Maria Zoia. (I wonder how she's related to Carlo Zoia, Sindaco?)

I have not researched Pietro 's marriage (yet). That's a good point. I need to go back to the FHC to view the 1903 records.

Also, thanks mmongo, for the tip on Maestro. After reading 10 years of birth records, I've discovered Signore Magistrelli and Carpari witnessed a lot of Cavaglio birth registrations. The handwriting is more legible in later years, and I found a record that confirms "maestro".
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.