Surname Caffariat Cafferate or soundex possibly Caffaratti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cangel

Surname Caffariat Cafferate or soundex possibly Caffaratti

Post by cangel »

My ancestor (GGG Grandfather) was Angello Caffariat. He was born somewhere in Italy about 1792. I have the birth registration of his son Thomas Angello Caffariat born in Holborn now part of London England November 18 1840. This lists Angello Caffariat as occupation "Musician". From his death certificate we know he was born about 1792 Italy. Died 25 May 1867 age 75, at 5 North Place Wandsworth Surrey England (now part of London)
Married about 1835 to Lucy Eagan born about 1812 London England
Died 19 Nov 1874 age 62 at Wandsworth Surrey.
Their children were; Angelina ; John; Thomas Angelo; Mary Ann; Lucy; Hannah; and Ellen.
I realize it is very unlikely to find a parish or similar type of birth record. What I hope to discover is the meaning and or history of the name "Caffariat" or any of the possible variations listed below. Caffariat is the spelling of the surname used on his son's birth certificate. Later documents including the death certificate and census records show the spelling as "Cafferate", "Caffariate" and "Caffarate". I have searched Italian telephone listings and found few if any people currently using any of these of surnames. Likely the person transcribing the records in England was attempting phonetic spelling. From what I found in Italian telephone records, a likely candidate for the current spelling could be Caffaratti. If any reader knows anything of the origins, meaning or history of any of the surnames Caffariat Cafferate Caffarate or Caffaratti please post a reply or contact me at chrisangel149@hotmail.com
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Caffariat Cafferate or soundex possibly Caffara

Post by suanj »

cangel wrote:My ancestor (GGG Grandfather) was Angello Caffariat. He was born somewhere in Italy about 1792. I have the birth registration of his son Thomas Angello Caffariat born in Holborn now part of London England November 18 1840. This lists Angello Caffariat as occupation "Musician". From his death certificate we know he was born about 1792 Italy. Died 25 May 1867 age 75, at 5 North Place Wandsworth Surrey England (now part of London)
Married about 1835 to Lucy Eagan born about 1812 London England
Died 19 Nov 1874 age 62 at Wandsworth Surrey.
Their children were; Angelina ; John; Thomas Angelo; Mary Ann; Lucy; Hannah; and Ellen.
I realize it is very unlikely to find a parish or similar type of birth record. What I hope to discover is the meaning and or history of the name "Caffariat" or any of the possible variations listed below. Caffariat is the spelling of the surname used on his son's birth certificate. Later documents including the death certificate and census records show the spelling as "Cafferate", "Caffariate" and "Caffarate". I have searched Italian telephone listings and found few if any people currently using any of these of surnames. Likely the person transcribing the records in England was attempting phonetic spelling. From what I found in Italian telephone records, a likely candidate for the current spelling could be Caffaratti. If any reader knows anything of the origins, meaning or history of any of the surnames Caffariat Cafferate Caffarate or Caffaratti please post a reply or contact me at chrisangel149@hotmail.com
Hi. personally, I think that the spelling is CAFFERATA (right) because Cafferiat don't exist; the other versions of CAFFERATA (tipical of Genova area)with some rilevance are: COfferatI , CafferatI, CaffAratTI ... however is thinkable that all this versions are mistaken shapes from original CAFFERATA surname... and however all coming from the first name CAFFARO; the first TIME that we find this name is around XI/XII centuries when was a Caffarus de Caschifellone a mariner cruisader born in Genova...

Just a suggestion for my experience about the italian ancestors research in UK, I can say you that is very possible that the spelling could be CAFFERATA and the birtharea Liguria region...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi,
I live in Liguria, Genoa Province, here in Sestri Levante and Casarza Ligure there are Cafferata.... It's a common surname....
Ciao!!
Laura
cangel

Post by cangel »

I would like to thank both suanj and pink67 for their informative replies to my post. You have given me a wealth of information for which I am very grateful. On Feb. 8 I obtained a copy of the 1851 British census entry for my GGG Grandfather Angelo Caffarate and family. Sure enough this document shows Genoa Italy as his place of birth and curiously adds in the same column "British Subject". I do not know Angelo Caffarate date of immigration to England or if he went there as a child or youth with his family, or as a young adult alone. It would seem likely he left Italy during the Napoleonic era. Is there some significance to the fact that he is a "British Subject"? From what little I know of the history of Liguria it occurs to me that Lord William Bentinck had some brief involvement in 1814 making numerous proclamations leading to his recall. Is there any connection to this notation as "British Subject"? This is just a guess, what I really need if anyone has suggestions is a referral to books or material, which would provide the greatest details of the history of Liguria during and following the Napoleonic period. In Sestri Levante and Casarza Ligure are there institutions either governmental or religious, which have been in continuous existence since this period? If Angelo Caffarate is from that area is there any possibility that records of birth or family history have survived? Would someone please advise the population size of Sestri Levante and Casarza Ligure? There is some conflicting information regarding Casarza Ligure one source says the population is 5907 another says the population is about equal to Sestri Levante about 19800.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi cangel, I receveid your 1851 census about Angelo.. are wrote Cafferate so it could be Cafferata or Cafferatti... the spelling... and Genoa as birthplace... he born in 1792 and I think that he emigrated almost in 1833/4 or so... but are necessary almost to find the first name Angelo's father or mother's surname.... and however the civil records starting from 1809 and your Angelo is born in 1792 ... but I think that are the parish registries in Genova bishop's archive ... but, again are necessary to find some other detail... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

More: this is the 1851 census:

Name: Angelo Caffarate
Birth: abt 1791 - location
Residence: 1851 - township, city, Surrey, England

but in 1861 census the Angelo birthyear is listed as 1797...
Name: Angelo Caffarati
Birth: abt 1797 - Italy
Residence: 1861 - city, Surrey, England
....??... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jagervais

Re: Surname Caffariat Cafferate or soundex possibly Caffaratti

Post by jagervais »

Good day CANGEL,

You may not get this email as it has been a little more than 14 years since your original post, but just in case, I have information of the later lives of Angelo Cafferate and Thomas Angelo Cafferate. I am a descendant of them (much further down the line). When Thomas Angelo Cafferate immigrated to Canada he went by his middle name (aka father's name) when completing the documents. Note: He was not overly educated and put his given name in place of his surname and vice versa; also, in his signature of "Angelo", the "o" looks like an off-swirl from the "l" and thus the surname "Angel" was devised and kept going forward.

If you have any information of the earlier history of Angelo Cafferate, I would very much like information on it.