Last Name Chiffaleau

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Last Name Chiffaleau

Post by sazzlynn »

I am helping a friend with her Italian lines. We were given the name Joe Chiffaleau. He left Chicago during 1920's and traveled to the southern gulf coast states, Mississippi and Louisiana. However, have not been able to locate any information. Any suggestions for alternative spellings?
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Last Name Chiffaleau

Post by mfjp »

Doing a sounds like search - using the Ellis Island data base...

How is the name pronounced?? Would it sound like "Chee-fa-loo" ?

or " kee -fa- loo" or "Shee-fa-loo"

Chevaleau,Rener 1907 26 1881
Chiffala,Gaspere L. Mango 1902 32 1870
Chifalo,Angela Barcellona 1900 28 1872
Chiffallo,Antonio Nicastro 1901 27 1874
Caifello,Angelo Cori, Italy 1913 18 1895
Cheffalo,Emile Philadelphia, U S A 1920 30 1890
Chivello,Giuseppe Bagheria 1899 0 1899
Chivolo,Antonio Scigliano, Cosenza 1909 24 1885
Cafaleo,Francesco Solofie 1902 35 1867
Cafaleo,Rocco Eacedonia 1904 23 1881
Ceifolla,Vincenza Aragona 1907 23 1884
Ceivello,Gaelono S. Flavia 1899 60 1839
Chafalo,Nicholas Chelsea, USA 1923 42 1881
Chaffallo,Guspare Mario Li Manga 1905 36 1869
Chefalo,Madelin P. London, England 1911 25 1886
Chiafallo,Rocco 1897 22 1875
Chiavallotti,Pasquale Satriano, Italy 1914 33 1881
Chiavello,Angela S. Giorgia a Mont. 1903 26 1877

mfjp :?
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

Great list. It gives us many options for searching the census and local records.
The family pronounces it "Shee-fa-lo"
I had tried Cefalu ( A name I have seen locally) but with no luck.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sazzlynn wrote:I am helping a friend with her Italian lines. We were given the name Joe Chiffaleau. He left Chicago during 1920's and traveled to the southern gulf coast states, Mississippi and Louisiana. However, have not been able to locate any information. Any suggestions for alternative spellings?
Hi:

most probable is Giuseppe Cefalo.. in 1930 census of Chicago are Giuseppe Cefalo, italian, tailor, born in 1908, emigrated in 1926 son of Pasquale emigrated in 1922 with the Concetta wife(nee?)..
Name: Joseph Cefalo
Estimated birth year: abt 1908
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Pasquale Cefalo
Mother's Name: Concetta Cefalo
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

You have given us some clues - I will confer with relatives to follow up. Thanks a bunch!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

sazzlynn wrote:You have given us some clues - I will confer with relatives to follow up. Thanks a bunch!
:wink: suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
shiffy0207

Post by shiffy0207 »

Hi... I'm Stephanie Shifalo (Chiffaleau) and I was wondering if some people can help me out- how would you pronounce my family's original last name? Also- sazzlynn please contact me- my family all lives on the Mississippi Gulf Coast/New Orleans area
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

shiffy0207 wrote:Hi... I'm Stephanie Shifalo (Chiffaleau) and I was wondering if some people can help me out- how would you pronounce my family's original last name? Also- sazzlynn please contact me- my family all lives on the Mississippi Gulf Coast/New Orleans area
Hi Stephanie,
Welcome to this forum. I've shared your info with my friend. She'll be contacting you via e-mail. Hope you can make a connection. Their family pronounces the name Shif - a - low.
chambri

Post by chambri »

Hi,

I'm researching the last name Chiffaleau as well, but our family spells it Chefalo. In the list MFJP was so kind to add above, Nicholas in 1923 is my GGF, and Madelin in 1911 is his sister-in-law. The original spelling of our name is Cefalo, and the pronunciation has been passed down as cha-FALL-ow. I have also found relatives under the spellings Chefelo and Cefelo, and under the variation of Ciofalo, Ciovolo, etc.

Our family came to the US from Bonito between the years 1890-1900 and originally settled in Boston. The 'H' was later added for the stage to spell it exactly how it sounded. Some family members on the East Coast kept the original spelling, and it seems that those who settled in CA had adopted the 'H.'

I am currently researching Giovanni (b. 1847) and Anna (b. 1851) Cefalo from Bonito, who immigrated in 1900 through Ellis. Several of their older children were already here in the US by that time. I am also looking for Florindo, Felice, and Giuseppe Cefalo, who may have been their children, all born between 1872-1878 in Bonito. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

chambri wrote: I'm researching the last name Chiffaleau as well, but our family spells it Chefalo. In the list MFJP was so kind to add above, Nicholas in 1923 is my GGF, and Madelin in 1911 is his sister-in-law. The original spelling of our name is Cefalo, and the pronunciation has been passed down as cha-FALL-ow. I have also found relatives under the spellings Chefelo and Cefelo, and under the variation of Ciofalo, Ciovolo, etc.

Our family came to the US from Bonito between the years 1890-1900 and originally settled in Boston. The 'H' was later added for the stage to spell it exactly how it sounded. Some family members on the East Coast kept the original spelling, and it seems that those who settled in CA had adopted the 'H.'

I am currently researching Giovanni (b. 1847) and Anna (b. 1851) Cefalo from Bonito, who immigrated in 1900 through Ellis. Several of their older children were already here in the US by that time. I am also looking for Florindo, Felice, and Giuseppe Cefalo, who may have been their children, all born between 1872-1878 in Bonito. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)
Hi there,

First I want to say that the Family History Center has microfilmfor the town of Bonito that you can order and rent for $5.75 a roll. Here is link for the film numbers
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... eno=409623

Here is a link to find the nearest Family History Center
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

There is a possiblity that your Nicola came to the USA before 1923. This could be him from the town of Bonito as well as a list of people from Bonito with the same surname (with various spellings) coming into Ellis Island

Cefalo,Nicola Bonito 1897 17 1880

Cefalo,Filomena Bonito 1898 6 1892
Cefalo,Margherita Bonito 1898 21 1877
Cefalo,Nicola Bonito 1897 17 1880
Cefalo,Oreste Bonito 1898 4 1894
Cefalo,Rettitula Bonito 1898 3 1895
Chefelo,Maria Bonito, Avellino 1909 14 1895
Chefelo,Guilietta Bonito, Avellino 1909 38 1871

Here is Giovanni in the 1910 Census.

Name: John Cefalo
Age in 1910: 60
Estimated birth year: abt 1850
Home in 1910: 1-Wd Chelsea, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Image Source: Year: 1910; Census Place: 1-Wd Chelsea, Suffolk, Massachusetts; Series: T624; Roll: 626; Page: 26B; Enumeration District: 1693; Part: 1; Line: 29

I'll be back with more info soon
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
chambri

Post by chambri »

Trish-

Thank you for the information regarding the microfilm! This will be quite helpful!

On the 1923 list above, Nicholas was returning to the US from an European tour. On the list you supplied, that is the year he immigrated. Maria, who returned to the US in '09, was his baby sister, and Giulietta on the same list was his sister-in-law. According to the Ellis manifests for them, Giulietta had listed the closest relative in the US as Giuseppe, her brother-in-law, and Maria's brother. This is the Giuseppe I'm looking for, who lived at 52 Ave, Lowell, Mass, in 1909.

I am not sure which of Giovanni's sons Giulietta married, but we believe it may have been either Felice or Florindo. We're pretty certain that the marriage was performed pre-1900 in Italy.

I do have the censuses with Giovanni and Anna for '10 and '20, and the dates of Giovanni's entrance into the US from as early as 1893. But I have no information on them any earlier than that.

Thank you for all your help,
Kelly
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi I found:

Giovanni CefaloOccupation Carpenter
Age 52 ( and no 57 as are wrote on ellisisland site)
Sex M
Literacy Y
Arrived 13 Mar 1900
Origin Italy
Port Naples
Last Residence Bonito
Destination Boston Ma
Plan Unknown
Ship Victoria
Passage Unknown
already in USA from 1893; in travel with thewife CARIELLO Anna Maria and 4 children ( Angelo Raffaele age 19, Pompilio age 11 , Giulietta age 26 , Ermelinda age 6 ) and joining to sons: Felice and Nicolino(Nicola) in Boston..

Felice Cefalo Occupation Carpenter
Age 17
Sex M
Literacy Y
Arrived 21 Dec 1899
Origin Italy
Port Marseilles
Last Residence Bonito
Destination Boston
Plan Unknown
Ship Neustria
Passage Unknown

Teorindo (Florindo) Cefalo Occupation Laborer
Age 23
Sex M
Literacy U
Arrived 10 Apr 1895
Origin Italy
Port Stockholm
Last Residence U
Destination Boston
Plan Unknown
Ship Neckar
Passage Unknown

it could be your ancestors? regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Kelly, a question

you said:
According to the Ellis manifests for them, Giulietta had listed the closest relative in the US as Giuseppe, her brother-in-law, and Maria's brother. This is the Giuseppe I'm looking for, who lived at 52 Ave, Lowell, Mass, in 1909.

are you looking for Guiseppe SANTOSUOSSO, Giulietta's brother-in-law?

manifest summary from above:

31 Mar 1909
Cretic sailing from Naples
pages 477 & 478

line 11
Francesco SANTOGUOSSO (prob. SANTOSUOSSO) 32 yrs old
from Bonito, Avellino & MA, USA
farm laborer
relative in Italy sister Teresa in Bonito
in US 1889-1908
joining brother Guiseppe SANTOGUOSSO (SANTOSUOSSO)
52 Av St Lowell, MA

line 12
wife
Guilietta CHEFELO 38 yrs old
from Bonito, Avellino
houekeeper
joining brother-in-law

line 13
sister
Maria SANTOGUOSSO (SANTOSUOSSO) 14 yrs old
from Bonito, Avellino
joining brother

thanks!
vj
chambri

Post by chambri »

suanj & vj-

You two are SO wonderful!! :D

suanj- yes, these are quite possibly my ancestors...I will check into it some more. After looking over the information again, I may be mistaken that Florindo was Giovanni's son...he could have been a nephew instead. I have found records of two different Felices, one born ca. 1876, and the other ca. 1882, which matches the birthdate of the one you found. This one is most likely the Felice I'm looking for...THANK YOU!

vj- I don't know why I overlooked the information above Giulietta's name! Yes, this is the Giuseppe I'm looking for, though I was mistaken of his last name. Now I know that Giulietta was certainly Giovanni's daughter, and not his daughter-in-law! THANK YOU!

I appreciate your help so much!

Kelly
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Kelly, you're welcome. We're all happy to help.
Are you OK looking for census & manifests for Santosuosso or would you like some assistance?
Valarie