Novero Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mamclin

Novero Family

Post by mamclin »

Hi everyone :)
We hit a dead end with our search last year and took a break, but we are hoping to start the search again now with better luck.
For our Italian relative, Reno Novero, we found immigration, marriage, naturalization and death records in the U.S.
On the passenger list he stated his birth place was Mathi. But they did not find the birth record there. I dont know what would he wrong (we certainly used the correct date which is on all his other paperwork). The only time Mathi is mentioned is when he immigrated, perhaps that is incorrect and we should try Turin?
I was wondering about seeking records via the Diocese of Turin instead (which Mathi is a part of) but am not sure how to go about it. We have his birth date but not his baptism date, we do not know his father's name, and his mother went by an American name - Minnie, after she immigrated, so we have not been able to figure out what her given Italian name was..feeling a little stumped. Thanks for any advice!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Novero Family

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
What was his date of birth?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
mamclin

Post by mamclin »

August 18, 1902. He stated Mathi as his birth place on the passenger list.
He went by the name Reno Noor in the US but his immigration and naturalization was done under the name Novero. He died in 1933 in a car accident
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
yes, here the ship's manifest so we can read it

Rino Novero

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Rino
Surname Novero
Last Place of Residence Mathi, Torino
Event Date 16 Nov 1921
Age 19y
Nationality Italy, North
Departure Port Naples
Arrival Port New York
Gender Male
Marital Status S
Ship Name Taormina
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

the mother first name was Domenica (Minnie) and he left the uncle Pietro Novero in Grosso Canavese....
It could be possible that also Rino was born in Grosso?.. Or Nole Canavese... Domenica going from Brother Francesco Novero, so also her maiden name was Novero.. maybe she and the husband was distant relatives...

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

mamclin wrote:We hit a dead end with our search last year and took a break, but we are hoping to start the search again now with better luck.
For our Italian relative, Reno Novero, we found immigration, marriage, naturalization and death records in the U.S.
Taking a break, then resuming your search is a good plan. With a clear head, sometimes you find things you didn't see the first time. And sometimes new records are cataloged.
By immigration record you mean Ellis Island records-or something else?
What do you mean by naturalization records?
The "Declaration of Intent" and "Petition for Naturalization (or Citizenship)" are genealogy gold mines. Typically you will find birth place (not last residence), and immigration arrival info (date, ship). It will also include similar info for any spouse and children.

I assume you've looked at his death record. Many have some info about the birth (for example, mother's maiden name, or birth city).

Sometimes the best strategy isn't to look for your person of interest, but for others who lead you to the right place (father, mother, siblings, other family).
Good luck,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
mamclin

Post by mamclin »

Wow! Thanks so much for providing her name. From what we have seen, her father was Dominic Novero so that makes sense! Francisco was her brother?

There is some bad blood in the family history(there was a betrayal that left many in the family bitter toward her), so we do not know how true it is, but the story is that she was not married and Reno's father was a priest, so it was all kept hush hush. She left Italy when he was around 8 from what we can gather, but then he joined her later as a young man.

By immigration docs I meant that passenger list record above and by naturalization documents I meant this

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2494/40 ... dit/record

Hopefully you can view it. It just states his name and address, when and where he arrived, what country he came from, and the date he naturalized (plus two witness names)

Grosso sounds like a good bet! Perhaps we can find his birth certificate there, or information on his family via Pietro and Dominic Novero...
Thank you for your help! This is our first time doing genealogical research and it is confusing figuring out where to look next !
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

mamclin,
your family is a classic example of "the wave of immigration ".
I searched Ellis Island, I found several Novero entries from 1921 and prior. They include:
your ancestor Rino Novero, arrived 16 Nov 1921
Last Place of Residence Mathi, Torino

his mother Domenica Novero, arrived 11 Aug 1912
Last Place of Residence Mattri, Torino (indexing error?)

her brother Francesco Novero, arrival undetermined
Several Noveros are from Nole, near Torino (maybe a clue?)

Also, her father is listed as Domenico Novero, Residence Mattri, Torino (?)

I found one family member in Torino province. As I recall, the FamilySearch site has indexes to Torino records, but doesn't provide the filmed images.

Good luck. Keep digging.
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
mamclin

Post by mamclin »

A couple of questions, first, his name is spelled "Reno" on all the US records. When we request his birth certificate from communes, should we use Rino or Reno? Is that a small enough difference that it won't matter?
Also, we already know that Mathi doesn't have it, but besides checking Grosso and Nole, could "Mattri" be a misspelling of Mattie?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

On the Domenica ship's manifest, she was single on 1912 http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7
I don't know if she married in USA or what.. however she was single... but on her name I read another surname wrote on Verzini or Vertini or similar spelling.... the birthplace seeming Mathi right...
I believe chat if Mathi don't found the Birth record of Rino, before to start the research in other possible palce, it is better to see if is first name was Rino right, or Rino is the diminutive of Guerino, Salvatorino or what... If Minnie/Domenica was unmarried, the child had her maiden name...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found in Torino archive a possible military record of Rino, and his full name seeming Rino Giuseppe:

Titolare RINO GIUSEPPE NOVERO

classe: 1902

Matricola: 49042

Num. registro: 408

Padre:

Madre:

Luogo nascita: località

  mandamento

  provincia (epoca)

  provincia (attuale)

Data nascita completa

Anno ammissione

Esercito provenienza

Reparto di provenienza

Grado

Note:

Raccolta: Ruoli matricolari Distretto di Torino
http://archiviodistatotorino.benicultur ... atricolari

you can see that no much infos, but the birthyear is correct... I believe that no much infos, because maybe he was enrolled but don't made the military service... because he emigrated... Well I believe that you can ask the his birthplace and mother name, to Torino archive, providing the above data... I am pretty sure you will solve any doubts...
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

mamclin wrote:Francisco was her brother?
Her bother was Francesco . Francisco is a Spanish name.
by naturalization documents I meant this
http://interactive.ancestry.com/2494/40 ... dit/record

Hopefully you can view it. It just states his name and address, when and where he arrived, what country he came from, and the date he naturalized (plus two witness names)
Unfortunately, I don't have an Ancestry account, so can't view it. I suspect it's an index card with the basic info (including the petition number). A others noted, not all Declarations and Petitions are available online. However, they are available from the National Archives (NARA). For $10 you can get a complete pack with Certificate of Arrival, Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization.
Follow this link for details:
http://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/

Required info is:
The city and state in which the naturalization occurred
A date range
Petitioner's first and last name
Petitioner's year of birth
The city and county in which petitioner resided at time of naturalization

There's another Forum thread with all the details:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/emigration/37009

Or, you can hire a research to go to the NARA site and do it for you.
Hope that helps.
-Ken
mamclin

Post by mamclin »

I am going to try to get the complete Naturalization information, we have all tbe ibformation needed- hopefully that will help!

How/where would I write to that Torino archive? If we still come up with Mathi after looking in these places I will probably just start requesting the birth record from communes that look like possible matches (like Grosso and Nole) and hope for a little luck! ;)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi you can write a email (here: http://archiviodistatotorino.benicultur ... t/contatti) asking a little courtesy: to know the birthplace and parent's names by Ruolo Matricolare of RINO GIUSEPPE NOVERO - classe: 1902-Matricola: 49042-Num. registro: 408. The request purpose: because it is your ancestor and you need to know his right birthplace so you, then, can request the his Birth certificate.
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH