Baptism Record Translation ~ Marianna Lupo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
siciliangirl2016
Rookie
Rookie

Baptism Record Translation ~ Marianna Lupo

Post by siciliangirl2016 »

I am hoping someone can translate this baptism record for me......... Thank you in advance.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

Marianna Lupo
Page 320
Left Column
First Entry
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Baptism Record Translation ~ Marianna Lupo

Post by erudita74 »

The record is dated Feb 8, 1891 but the birth took place on Feb 6th (nudius tertius-the day before yesterday).
Parents: Giuseppe Lupo and Maddalena Rappa
Infant given the name Marianna Lupo
Godparents: Father (Don*) Giuseppe Costanza (he was a priest) and (Donna*?) Maddalena followed by ejus and then ? (sororis would be his sister, but the spelling of the word after ejus looks different to me)

*Don was a title given to priests. Also you find male property owners with this title.
Donna* also a title- given to a woman, but I only see the abbreviation D. and no small “a” up in the air, so I'm confused by the name of the second godparent.
siciliangirl2016
Rookie
Rookie

Post by siciliangirl2016 »

Wow thank you for the detailed description and education on some of the transcription!! I really appreciate your help.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Happy to help.
Erudita
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

erudita74 wrote: Godparents: Father (Don*) Giuseppe Costanza (he was a priest) and (Donna*?) Maddalena followed by ejus and then ? (sororis would be his sister, but the spelling of the word after ejus looks different to me)

Magdalena ejus sor(or) h(uius) p(aroeciae) (et) c(ivitatis)

*Don was a title given to priests. Also you find male property owners with this title.
Donna* also a title- given to a woman, but I only see the abbreviation D. and no small “a” up in the air, so I'm confused by the name of the second godparent.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thank you, mmogno, for clarifying the meaning of the abbreviation h.p.c. in these records.
Erudita