Latin baptismal record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
trecaromia
Rookie
Rookie

Latin baptismal record

Post by trecaromia »

I have a copy of baptism from 1779. The infant name is Josephum et Antoniniius Father Maestro Hironymuiis " Girolamo" --- and Mother Anna Maria---Does this mean the infant's name is Joseph Anthony or are they possibly twins? Are twins noted with separate records or not for this time frame?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Latin baptismal record

Post by liviomoreno »

I suggest you post the record...
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

It should be one infant named Giuseppe Antonino, but I suggest you post the record as Livio stated in his reply, so that we can check this for you. All of the church records I have seen have had twins in separate records. If, however, the parish in question did record the twins in a single record, you should also see the Latin word for twins in that record. If two male, or one male and one female, the word would be gemelli, for two female the word gemellae. or the word geminus, if twins are recorded in separate records. There is no way to accurately answer your general question, as there were no standards for church records. The format of the church records varied from priest to priest, even within a single parish, and even within a single time frame. When the Council of Trent in the mid 1500s dictated that individual parishes had to record events such as baptisms, marriages, and deaths, it did not dictate the format those records had to be in. So there is no uniformity among church records.
Erudita
trecaromia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trecaromia »

liviomoreno wrote:I suggest you post the record...
Grazie, I just posted the image to Tessa. We appreciate any help with deciphering this record.
trecaromia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trecaromia »

erudita74 wrote:It should be one infant named Giuseppe Antonino, but I suggest you post the record as Livio stated in his reply, so that we can check this for you. All of the church records I have seen have had twins in separate records. If, however, the parish in question did record the twins in a single record, you should also see the Latin word for twins in that record. If two male, or one male and one female, the word would be gemelli, for two female the word gemellae. or the word geminus, if twins are recorded in separate records. There is no way to accurately answer your general question, as there were no standards for church records. The format of the church records varied from priest to priest, even within a single parish, and even within a single time frame. When the Council of Trent in the mid 1500s dictated that individual parishes had to record events such as baptisms, marriages, and deaths, it did not dictate the format those records had to be in. So there is no uniformity among church records.
Erudita
Grazie, Erudita. And for this additional information. In searching the records in Sicily I have found few with double names, but the record must support your thought he was named Joseph Antonio Licari for I did not see the terms you mentioned: gemelli, gemellae, or geminus.