Need translation please: Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
Dianeb
Elite
Elite
Posts: 315
Joined: 28 Mar 2007, 00:00
Location: Wurtsboro, NY

Need translation please: Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654

Post by Dianeb »

Could someone please translate this marriage record for me?

Antonio Mistretta & Caterina Benenete 1654

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=731442

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=731442

Film #7958806
Image #1879
Page #89 & 90

This marriage record is very different from the ones I am use to seeing. I am curious about all the names with spouses on this page.

Thank you
Diane :D
Attachments
Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1854 B.png
Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654.png
Diane B
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Need translation please: Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654

Post by erudita74 »

Diane
I can't get the images to load on family search, but in using a magnifying glass, and seeing the format, I am thinking this is not a marriage record, but rather a church census record=state of the souls. I can't read it this way though, and am not familiar with the specific content of this type of record, assuming that is what it is. Sorry.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Need translation please: Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654

Post by erudita74 »

Diane
The images are still not loading on family search. What I can see is that on the first page, it seems to indicate that this is about Caterina Benenati and her sisters, but on the second page, some of the individuals are male, so I think it's about her and her siblings.

On the second page, you have

1. Pina Bova (Pina should be a nickname for the first name Giuseppina) with Pietro Benenati

2. Masi Benenati with Ursula. Masi is a nickname for Tomasso.

3. Giuseppe Benenati with Margarita

4. Caterina with Antonino Mistretta

5. Angela and Margherita Mistretta

Then it says that Pina is the sister of Giovanni Bova, testatore and religioso of the order of S. Francesco of the city of Salerno. There is an abbreviated title before his name (looks like Pre). Not sure what that is, but he was a member of a religious community. Then there is a line and below that it says that Pina and there is another first name, are sisters of the mother of Giovanni Bova (again there is an abbreviation for his title). So this would then make Pina his aunt and not his sister.

This Giovanni Bova also appears on the left side of the first image. I also see the name Pietro Benenati there.

This is as far as I can take this without being able to upload the images and magnify them.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Need translation please: Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654

Post by erudita74 »

Diane
I found a way to get around the issue on family search. If you have a certain image number in the box, hit download, and then the specific image appears, and then you can enlarge it by hitting the plus symbol on your keyboard. If you go back one image from the first image, which ends in 77, there are some of the same individuals, but the surname Benenati is spelled Benenato and that surname is followed by the word "alias" and then the surname Trombetta. So it seems that some of these individuals used this other surname.

Anyway, this is really all I can do with this.

Erudita
User avatar
Dianeb
Elite
Elite
Posts: 315
Joined: 28 Mar 2007, 00:00
Location: Wurtsboro, NY

Re: Need translation please: Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654

Post by Dianeb »

Thank you for all your trouble, I really appreciate it
Diane :)
Diane B
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Need translation please: Antonio Mistretta & Caterina 1654

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. Just disappointed that there weren't any ages, etc, given for the individuals listed. At least you now know the format used for this type of record by this parish.
Erudita
Post Reply